PDA

View Full Version : The Origin of your Surname

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Odoacer
05-09-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm not entirely sure. The bearers of my surname came to the U.S. from Sicily, but there is a strong possibility that the ultimate origin is in Albania.

Distribution in Italy (2000):

Distribution in the U.S. (2000):

Odoacer
05-10-2011, 12:31 AM
I'm not entirely sure. The bearers of my surname came to the U.S. from Sicily, but there is a strong possibility that the ultimate origin is in Albania.

I have been informed by a trustworthy source that my surname is, in fact, of Latin-Romance origin, & my ancestors have been in Sicily since the time of its Roman colonization. Thus it appears I can rule out Albanian origins.

While I am happy to have greater certainty about my own ancestry, I am sorry to disappoint all my Shqiptar friends! Alas, my awesomeness must be explained by something else. :wink :D

optimusmaximus
05-10-2011, 02:52 PM
My paternal surname, Grove, at first sight seems to be English/British in origin, but in fact it isn't!

We originate from a noble family Italy(originally from Rome, then moved to Palermo), and our surname believed to be Gravina. Our genetics can prove this, as we belong to the R1b1b2(Celtic/Italic), E1b1b(Near Eastern), and I2b1(Norman) genetic haplogroups.

Family oral tradition says that we fled(exile?) Sicily(in the 1200s?) for Switzerland around a period of rebellion and lived there until the 1450s, as far back as I can trace my ancestral records. Around this time, our name was Germanized from Gravina to Graffina(there is a Genoese noble family known as the Graffigna, and there is some presumed connection there), it is assumed that before 1400 the name was shortened, or masculinized to Graff.

During the religious wars between Protestants and Catholics, they wanted no part in the bloodshed, moved to Lorraine, France and ended up moving to Breda in the Netherlands(my 10th[?] great grandfather was the Lord of Breda's brother-in-law) around the 1600s. It's assumed around this time that my ancestors rejected Catholicism and embraced Mennonism and became Mennonites. Today our family is a mix of Mennonites and Catholics(our branch being mostly Catholic, but my sister married a Mennonite)

During the family's time there, my 10th great grandfather was accused of treason and fled to England, where he went on to the Americas, and lived in Germantown until his death. Before he died, his innocence was proven and was offered to return and receive his lost fortune and estate, but he rejected it in anger and scorn. Within 5 years of arrival, our name was Anglicized to Grove from Graff

To this day, no one has collected the inheritance, but people have tried, but the Dutch government denies any such estate(found a NYT article about it, can't remember where though, want to print it out someday). The other portion is in the Bank of England, according to letters between relatives in the late 1800s, early 1900s.

My apologies for such a long, explanation :)

Don Brick
05-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Father´s surname is a goofy Germanic name (liia knows what I´m talking about ;)) and my mother´s is a good ol´ Finnish/Finnic name.

mymy
05-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Slavic with Hellenic roots and possible noble origin.

Blossom
05-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Cant remember if I once posted here. Mine's Germanic, I also own a so damn classy-classic Hellenic one ;) oh yeah!

I also own a Anglo-French one...mostly common in USA or Britain..a nice coat of arms and first one was found in some year after 1020. ..

Bloodeagle
05-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Cant remember if I once posted here. Mine's Germanic, I also own a so damn classy-classic Hellenic one ;) oh yeah!

I also own a Anglo-French one...mostly common in USA or Britain..a nice coat of arms and first one was found in some year after 1020. ..

How do you own 3 surnames, does this include your mothers maiden name, or those of some step father? :confused:

Blossom
05-14-2011, 03:12 PM
How do you own 3 surnames, does this include your mothers maiden name, or those of some step father? :confused:

Haha nono. My Germanic-Norse one is from father's side. The Anglo-French is from mother's side. The Hellenic is far in my familytree, centuries ago. :)

_______
06-03-2011, 08:59 PM
my last name is english but was german- anglicised a few hundred years ago

Raikaswinþs
06-03-2011, 09:37 PM
The Iberian naming system uses both parents first surname to compose their childrens. In Portugal , the order will be first maternal, and secondly paternal. In the rest of Iberia is the other way round (if there are any exceptions, I am unaware of)

about my first surname (most likely Romance) :

Originario de la antigua realeza de Francia... designando luego la postura de varios miembros importantes en cortes tanto de Alemania como de Inglaterra... Se extiende luego hacia España donde toma mas relevancia e importancia... razon por la cual se dice que el origen de este apellido se encuentra en las raices españolas. Desde aqui se extiende hasta America donde lo portan varias familias.

Mi familia tiene casa solariega en lAvila

(source: www.misapellidos.com)

about my second surname (Basque):

En vascuence Aguirre significa lugar alto que domina un terreno, muchas casas que tenían esa condición fueron conocidas como Aguirre.
En Guipuzcoa se situa el linaje más antiguo, caballeros de esta familia acompañaron a D. Ramiro I en la batalla de Clavijo, en el año 850.

Mi familia procede de Oñate

Aelred
06-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Very common post-Conquest Anglo-Saxon Christian patronymic. My mother's is a very Anglo-Saxon place name.

Terek
06-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Azizov/Azizova, Chechen: 1азиз, taken from the Arabic Aziz عزیز
meaning "great one" or "dear one". A lot of Chechen surnames are Russified Islamic names.

Nurzat
07-18-2011, 07:24 PM
germanic, of limburg origin, slightly changed because of initial slavization and subsequent romanianization

Comte Arnau
07-18-2011, 07:31 PM

In Spain there's no such thing as maiden name. Women don't lose their surnames as in most countries.

The normal thing is having two surnames: the father's first one (traditionally in the first place) and the mother's first one, sometimes joined by a y (and). But if they are compound surnames, they can be up to four, provided they are joined by a hyphen. Even the King's identity card follows the rule. That is why foreigners are usually asked about their mothers née surname.

gandalf
07-24-2011, 05:08 PM
My father's name is Regnault

witch comes from the germanic Raginwald
( ragin = council , wald = chief )

My mother's name is Gahide

witch comes from the germanic Wadhaida
( wad = see , haida = land )

Logan
07-24-2011, 06:05 PM
English type of Germanic

BeerBaron
07-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Germanic, originated in Sweden.

Amapola
07-24-2011, 08:45 PM
First- Castillanized form of a Basque name
Second- Castellanized form of a Gothic name.

Logan
07-24-2011, 08:57 PM
First- Castillanized form of a Basque name
Second- Castellanized form of a Gothic name.

Interesting combinations.

Can you provide two examples other than your personal ones?

Lábaru
07-24-2011, 08:59 PM

Is very typical in Spain.

Logan
07-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Is very typical in Spain.

Which the Basque? Which the Gothic? Where the Spanish elements?

Don
07-24-2011, 09:09 PM
The Origin of your Surname?

La Reconquista.

Lábaru
07-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Which the Basque? Which the Gothic? Where the Spanish elements?

Both, the surnames of Gothic origin, Castillanized, are among the most frequent, And the Basque surnames, Castillanized or not, a little less, but common too.

safinator
07-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Topographic, from a place in Southern Albania

Amapola
07-24-2011, 09:14 PM

Can you provide two examples other than your personal ones?
With pleasure :thumb001:

1. Iñíguez . Basque name Eneko-> Castellanized name Íñigo-> Iñíguez (son of Eneko/Íñigo).
2. Alvarez. Gothic name Alewar-> Castellanized name Álvaro--> Álvarez (son of Alewar/Álvaro).

Logan
07-24-2011, 09:18 PM
The Origin of your Surname?

La Reconquista.

Number 269 in this thread.

Logan
07-24-2011, 09:19 PM

1. Iñíguez . Basque name Eneko-> Castellanized name Íñigo-> Iñíguez (son of Eneko/Íñigo).
2. Alvarez. Gothic name Alewar-> Castellanized name Álvaro--> Álvarez (son of Alewar/Álvaro).

Thankyou very much. :)

Ibericus
07-24-2011, 09:22 PM
There are also spanish surnames of celtic origin, like Arévalo, which comes from the celtic word arevalon meaning "place near the wall."

HungAryan
07-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Possibly Slavic.
My name in Hungarian is Tóth Zoslt, and it's Zsolt Toth in English (different name order).
"Tóth" is the archaic spelling of "tót", which is the archaic Old Hungarian word for slovak. "Tót" was used for Slovak (modern Hungarian: Szlovák), "Rác" was used for Serb (modern Hungarian: Szerb), but "horvát" (archaic spelling: Horváth) is still used for Croatian.

Does that mean that I'm of slovak descent? :D
People already told me that I look like a Slav, and I'm in fact a Magyarized Slav.

Laubach
07-24-2011, 09:28 PM
My surnames are: Laubach, a Germanic name.

Von Lutterbach, another germanic/ french name

Mattiello= Romance name

D´Sanglard= French norman name

I inherited four surnames, because in Brazil you can have more than one surname, people usually have two, but it is not uncommon to find three or four surnames

Don
07-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Number 269 in this thread.

Thanks for doing the recount for me, as a good vassal.

Never is enough of remembering ancestors and identity.

Logan
07-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks for doing the recount for me, as a good vassal.

Never is enough of remembering ancestors and identity.

:D

Piparskeggr
07-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Robinson, a patronym derived from Robin, a diminuative of Robert.

My mother's is D'Orazio; likewise a patronym, derived from Orazio (in English, Horace)

Curtis24
07-24-2011, 10:30 PM
The name is German and signifies a prominent medieval family from Bavaria Though, my ancestor who immigrated over here was a "tinkerer", whatever that means(does anyone know?)

Barreldriver
07-24-2011, 11:07 PM
The name is German and signifies a prominent medieval family from Bavaria Though, my ancestor who immigrated over here was a "tinkerer", whatever that means(does anyone know?)

Tinkerers where I come from were traveling merchants, traders, handymen, etc... One of my ancestors Mathew Reynolds was a "tinkerer" who traveled throughout Overton, Fentress, and Morgen counties Tennessee performing carpentry tasks.

In Ireland there is also a Tinker class of people who are basically modern nomads.

Osweo
07-26-2011, 09:18 PM

Interesting. Is it a pure Basque name, or itself a Vasconisation of a Classical one?

Hang on, it's the 21st Century, I can do a web search. :D

INIGO
Usage: English (Rare)
Pronounced: IN-i-go [key]
English form of ÍÑIGO. It became well-known in Britain due to the 17th-century English architect Inigo Jones. He was named after his father, a Catholic who was named for Saint Ignatius of Loyola.

Ah, so it's ultimately from Latin. :) ... Oh, no! Wait. There's more;

ÍÑIGO
Usage: Spanish
Medieval Spanish form of ENEKO. This was the birth name of Saint Ignatius of Loyola, who changed it in honour of Saint Ignatius of Antioch. As such, this name is sometimes regarded as a form of IGNATIUS.

A chance similarity, then?

ENEKO
Usage: Basque
Possibly derived from the old Basque name Ennecus (of unknown meaning). This was the name of the first king of Pamplona or Navarre (9th century).

... and now we're back into the mists of time. But there are always adventurous linguists, willling to take a leap into the unknown;

Otro nombre interesante que, de tiempo en tiempo suele ponerse de moda entre las madres, es Ignacio, uno de los pocos de origen español que tenemos. Tan es así que el "Ignatius" latino es una modificación del "Egnatius" celtibérico por la etimología popular que relacionaba el nombre con "Ignis", fuego. Pero Ignacio no es "el fogoso" y tampoco es creíble la interpretación que lo trae del griego ""Ignatios", que sería "nacido" o, mejor dicho, "hijo". Ya en el siglo I antes de Nuestro Señor, el nombre era conocido en Roma y desde allí se difundió por todo el imperio.

Algunos sostienen que podría derivar de un patronímico familiar que describe el lugar donde moraba el primero de los Ignacios como los apellidos vascos actuales, pero es casi imposible averiguarlo porque muy poco se sabe de los nombres propios que usaban los vascos antes de su conversión al cristianismo. Los etimologistas más aventurados sostienen que podría derivar de "Éneco", "Ennecus", que en euskera es "lugar de la pendiente de una extremidad montañosa".

En fin, tampoco se sabe si es un antiguo topónimo transformado en un nombre de pila o si la voz llegó a España a través de los íbero-camitas.

El nombre Iñigo sería también una derivación de Ennecus, por lo que nos hallaríamos ante el mismo problema etimológico, don.

Y perdone que esta vez no le pueda dar una etimología precisa, pero es medio difícil la cuestión.

http://juanaragon.blogspot.com/2008/07/vascos.html

"Éneco", "Ennecus", que en euskera es "lugar de la pendiente de una extremidad montañosa".
"Éneco", "Ennecus", which in Basque is "sloping (or steep???) place on a spur of a mountain". (? :p ?)

I.e. AElfhere or AElfwaer. :cool: And thus also Oliver.

There are also spanish surnames of celtic origin, like Arévalo, which comes from the celtic word arevalon meaning "place near the wall."
That really IS fascinating? Where did you hear it? Almost too good to be true!

Some of my ancestors were called Walton. Usually, this is from 'farmstead of the Welsh', but in their case, the geography makes it more likely that the particular Walton village they were named after is called so because it stands right by the Roman Wall, or Hadrian's Wall. The Romans called their earthwork defences a 'vallum', and the word entered Welsh as gwawl, and also English 'wall'. Thus, in a way, my Waltons are associated with something as ancient as the Celtic speaking times of Iberia. :D

Seems to me that the valon in this 'arevalon' is just a borrowing from Latin, though, if the 'wall' etymology is correct.

If it's not 'wall', I'd suggest an alternative purely Celtic meaning - Ariovellaunos (like Catuvellauni - a British and Belgic tribe, and the modern Welsh name Cadwallawn/Cadwallon). Ario is silver, and the ending means something like 'controller', 'guide', 'arranger'... I could be VERY wrong, of course. :p

In fact, the stresss on the second syllable makes these Celtic etymologies seem out, somehow. I would expect ArevALo if it were Celtic, not ArEEeeeevalo.... :chin: Are we sure it's not some Romance term? A toponym? Even a Gothic name? Herewald... That middle syllable makes me think that a consonant has been lost somewhere, like just before the V... :shrug:

a "tinkerer", whatever that means(does anyone know?)
tinker
"mender of kettles, pots, pans, etc.," mid-13c. (as a surname), of uncertain origin. Some connect the word with the sound made by light hammering on metal. The verb meaning "to keep busy in a useless way" is first found 1650s. Tinker's damn "something slight and worthless" is from 1824, probably simply preserving tinkers' reputation for free and casual use of profanity; more elaborate derivations exist, but seem to be just-so stories without evidence.

...this dates from the near forgotten times when Gypsies thought it prudent to mask their thievery and parasitism behind some semblance of an honest trade, involved the repair of worn out old metal (tin?) vessels. :coffee:

Amapola
07-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Interesting. Is it a pure Basque name, or itself a Vasconisation of a Classical one?

Hang on, it's the 21st Century, I can do a web search. :D

INIGO
Usage: English (Rare)
Pronounced: IN-i-go [key]
English form of ÍÑIGO. It became well-known in Britain due to the 17th-century English architect Inigo Jones. He was named after his father, a Catholic who was named for Saint Ignatius of Loyola.

Ah, so it's ultimately from Latin. :) ... Oh, no! Wait. There's more;

ÍÑIGO
Usage: Spanish
Medieval Spanish form of ENEKO. This was the birth name of Saint Ignatius of Loyola, who changed it in honour of Saint Ignatius of Antioch. As such, this name is sometimes regarded as a form of IGNATIUS.

A chance similarity, then?

ENEKO
Usage: Basque
Possibly derived from the old Basque name Ennecus (of unknown meaning). This was the name of the first king of Pamplona or Navarre (9th century).

... and now we're back into the mists of time. But there are always adventurous linguists, willling to take a leap into the unknown;

Otro nombre interesante que, de tiempo en tiempo suele ponerse de moda entre las madres, es Ignacio, uno de los pocos de origen español que tenemos. Tan es así que el "Ignatius" latino es una modificación del "Egnatius" celtibérico por la etimología popular que relacionaba el nombre con "Ignis", fuego. Pero Ignacio no es "el fogoso" y tampoco es creíble la interpretación que lo trae del griego ""Ignatios", que sería "nacido" o, mejor dicho, "hijo". Ya en el siglo I antes de Nuestro Señor, el nombre era conocido en Roma y desde allí se difundió por todo el imperio.

Algunos sostienen que podría derivar de un patronímico familiar que describe el lugar donde moraba el primero de los Ignacios como los apellidos vascos actuales, pero es casi imposible averiguarlo porque muy poco se sabe de los nombres propios que usaban los vascos antes de su conversión al cristianismo. Los etimologistas más aventurados sostienen que podría derivar de "Éneco", "Ennecus", que en euskera es "lugar de la pendiente de una extremidad montañosa".

En fin, tampoco se sabe si es un antiguo topónimo transformado en un nombre de pila o si la voz llegó a España a través de los íbero-camitas.

El nombre Iñigo sería también una derivación de Ennecus, por lo que nos hallaríamos ante el mismo problema etimológico, don.

Y perdone que esta vez no le pueda dar una etimología precisa, pero es medio difícil la cuestión.

http://juanaragon.blogspot.com/2008/07/vascos.html

"Éneco", "Ennecus", que en euskera es "lugar de la pendiente de una extremidad montañosa".
"Éneco", "Ennecus", which in Basque is "sloping (or steep???) place on a spur of a mountain". (? :p ?)

I suppose that if not a Basque name, it should be a basquization of the Greek or Latin name. I came up with a similar example : Xemeno from Ximeon (Jiménez) so it won't clarify anything.

I.e. AElfhere or AElfwaer. :cool: And thus also Oliver.
That's it :thumb001:

Gamera
07-26-2011, 09:36 PM
My surname couldn't have a lamer origin, it's a "German" surname (ornamental). :laugh:

My forename is also from German.

Osweo
07-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Found summat else;

Quizá topónimo vasco "lugar encrespado". La forma latina se asimiló al fuego "ignis". Otra etimología lo deriva del griego ignátios, "nacido", es decir "hijo".

Perhaps Basque toponym "rough place." The Latin form was assimilated to the word for fire, "ignis". Another etymology derives from the Greek Ignatios, "born," meaning "son."

My surname is just a simple Irish descriptive term.

Comte Arnau
07-26-2011, 11:29 PM
It could even be Proto-Celtic for 'on horse', so go figure. In any case, it looks like a reallt old name.

Here you have all kind of hypotheses on it:

Origin and meaning

The first references of Íñigo in Castilian language go back to Century XI and those of Íñiguez to Century XII, settling down that before these dates and following the uses of the time, the official writings were realized in Latin or native Latin language. At this same time, the English used the Latin or the Norman romance of the north of France, whereas the German political organizations used the Latin language or the Italian romances to write up their documents.

Of this form we found that Íñigo is the made spanish form of Enneco, whereas Íñiguez is it of Enneconis. It is possible to indicate respectively that possibly Enneco and Enneconis are the medieval forms of the Iberian names Enneges and Ennegensis. These names appear mentioned for the first time in Bronze of Ascoli of the year 89 a. This bronze is a table that picks up the names of the riders of the cavalry squadron Turma Salluitana, recruited by the consul Pompeyo Estrabón in the Hispanic locality of Salduie (later Cæsaraugusta, today Saragossa ) in the average valley of Ebro, to do in front of the itálicos insurrectionists against Rome during the Social War or of the Allies ( 91 - 89 a. Like reward to take the city of Ascoli, the consul granted the Roman citizenship to them and registered the fact in writing in a bronze table. Between the Hispanic riders they appear Elandus son of Enneges and Ennegensis Bels, son of Umarbeles.

Usually it has been interpreted that Íñigo is equivalent to Ignacio, or that first is the Castilian form of the second, nevertheless this very common error that it is explained because to the followers of San Ignacio de Loyola was called iñiguistas to them, because Ignacio was not equivalent to Íñigo but because this one was its name before being priest. When Íñigo Óñez de Loyola devotes God, adopts the name of Ignacio de Loyola in memory of San Ignacio of Antioch, disciple of the apostles Juan, Pedro and Pablo .

Since the origin of Íñigo has been explained is Enneco, by preRoman native root, whereas the one of Ignacio is Ignatius ( Latin ) < Ignêtes (in Greek ) `innate' (A.), also `name of the original inhabitants of old Rhodas ' (Simmias 11, H. Another etimología gives to account of Ignacio < Ignatius < ignis (`fire' in Latin) < * egni ( Protoindoeuropeo or FOOT), {compárese with agni (`fire, ceremonial fire' in Sánscrito ), ogni ( Slavic old, of Century IX ), ugnis (`Lithuanian fire' in )}.

The other source of confusion in giving the same equivalence him to Íñigo and Ignacio, is in which Enneco evolved, in Basque language, to Iñaki, and Sabino Spider proposed the translation of Iñaki by Ignacio in Castilian.

According to the exposed thing, Íñigo in no case would have to be equivalent to Ignacio.

Between the people mentioned in Average Age who used the Enneco name (Íñigo) we found in first chronicles of Navarre to the head vascón Enneco Aritza ( Íñigo Edge, 824-851) and its son Garsea Enneconis ( Garci'a Íñiguez de Pamplona, 851-880) kings of Navarre and Sobrarbe .

To san Enneconis ( San Íñigo ), abbot benedictine, of Monastery of Oña, that died 1.º of June of 1068 (it remembers to him in the same day).

To Enneco Fortuniones (Íñigo Fortúnez, 1044-1050 and 1072-1075) Sir of Arnedo, in La Rioja .

At the moment in the Basque country are the following last names with Enneco-Enneconis root: Eneko (Íñigo), Enekoola (`cabin of Íñigo'), Enekotegui (`place of Íñigo'), Enecoitz (`rock of the valley'), Enekoiz (`pasture'), Necochea or Nekotxea (`house of Eneko')

Evolution

Next the documented evolution appears that has presented/displayed Enneco and Enneconis in Íñigo and Íñiguez respectively, in addition appears the feminine form of the name. The year is indicated in that she appears dated the data of the names or the century in which its use was habitual.

Singular genitiva form (masculine)

Singular genitiva form (feminine)

Plural form 3.ª person (patronímica)

Etimología

Enneco, is a preRoman own name, whose presence has been able to find in numerous Spanish documents from Century VIII . In these documents written in Latin, figure like Eneco, Enneco or Ennecho (it forms singular genitiva) and like Eneconis, Enneconis or Ennechonis (person forms genitiva of 3.

Although the origin of Enneco is not clear, nor to what preRoman town would belong, since for some (Basque old) and for others would be a name Aquitano Iberian Pyrenean or even Celtíbero, is agreement in which is native of the Iberian Peninsula of use extended in valleys of Ebro .

Several theories exist to interpret their meaning according to the different towns that inhabited the Iberian Peninsula before the century VIII d.c to These we can classify them theories in two great groups:

Thesis of the PreIndo-European origin

This thesis proposes that the name would come from those human groups that lived in the Iberian Peninsula prior to the invasion of the Indo-European towns, these ancestral towns are Iberian and Aquitano . Although in the peninsula other preIndo-European towns existed, the extension of the name by zones íberas and aquitanas sustain this thesis.

In a study of the names that appear in tenth of Castejón de Sos, and other medieval documents written in Latin, are read:

Basque or euskérica thesis

This thesis proposes that Íñigo is a Basque or euskérico name and that has not undergone modifications in more than 1300 years, because the Basque zones were the last ones in being Romanized and later cristianizadas, reason why did not have registries written that gave account of the Enneco name before century VIII. This does that perfectly him enne can be found equivalences with the modern Basoue disturbing to the name in particles and Co .

* Enne- counterpart with ene, that means `mine' and - Co with the hipocorístico suffix - ko, that is a diminutive, being “its meaning in `miíto' or something of the sort” (sic).
* Another theory maintains that Enneconis in Basoue would be equivalent to Enekoitz or Enecoiz (`rock of the valley') and that Enneco comes from the old Basque name Eneko, of the place-name in-ko (`place in the slope of a mountainous extremity).

Aquitana thesis (Basque old or protovasco )

This thesis proposes that Enneco is the medieval form of the aquitano name Ennebox, that does not have a direct translation in the modern Basoue and who is due to look for his significance in the old Basoue or Protovasco or language Aquitano . This name analyzes like derivative of enne- by means of a suffix composed of - bo- and - x (s). “It is necessary to consider that in the testimonies aquitano-Basoues appears with - n, and the following element seems to be the suffix *-bo-, present in some other aquitano name”.

Thesis íbera

This thesis proposes that Enneco is the medieval form of the Iberian name Enneges of s., since this one is the name of of the riders recruited for the Turma Salluitana in Salduie, typical zone of Iberian establishments. The Turma Salluitana was a brigade of riders who received like reward the Roman citizenship to take the city of Ascolum . This fact registered in Bronze of Ascoli .

The name that appears writing in the Bronze of Ascoli is ELANDUS ENNEGES F, is worth to say `Elandus, son of Enneges' next to three riders under Segiensis, that has been interpreted like pertaining to the town or clan of Segia or Sekia (present Ejea of the Horsemen ).

The other name that appears writing is ENNEGENSIS/BELS UMARBELES F, is worth to say `Bels of Enneges, son of Umarbeles'. Or also translated like `Bels, son of Umarbeles, the town or clan of Enneg' (possibly Enneges, although does not discard Ennegea or Ennegeas). Next to him they appear originating of the Enneges locality, COARSE TURINNUS ADIMELS F and ORDUMELES F, is worth to say `Turiño, son of Adimbeles, and Ordumeles, son of Coarse'.

It is important to indicate that at the moment linguists and philologists dispute origin of name Enneco, since this name is present in all the studies that as much look for the origins and the translation of Aquitano like of íbero, also we see this present name it to unravel the kinship between both languages.

Thesis of the Indo-European origin

This thesis also looks for to establish relations with languages by Indo-European root, since before the arrival of Roman to the Iberian Peninsula already had been based other towns of Indo-European origin (aside from Celtas that invaded the Iberian Peninsula and they settled down from s.

* In the old Indo-European language ( proto-Indo-European and Proto-celta ), has Enneco would be equivalent to Eñeko, formed by particles enn- < in < eni- (in) and - echo < - ek (u) or < - ek'< sup>wo (horse), is worth to say `in horse' or `to horse', name related to those who was able to mount or to tame horses, which is in relation to the names of the riders of the Turma Sallustiana.
* Enneco would come from Jannacus or Iannacus, a variant of the name of the Latin God Jano, whose cult was extended by the Cantabrian zone - Pyrenean .

Amapola
07-26-2011, 11:47 PM
I am starting to like this name. :wink

Comte Arnau
07-26-2011, 11:54 PM
I've searched for the frequency of the name in Catalonia, in its Catalan version: Ènnec.

No lo lleva ni Dios!!

Parents would be really original. :D

Piparskeggr
07-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Robinson, a patronym derived from Robin, a diminuative of Robert.

My mother's is D'Orazio; likewise a patronym, derived from Orazio (in English, Horace)

As a fellow with whom I like to correspond here at Apricity has gently reminded me... :wink

Robinson is an Anglicized version of my great grandfather's family name in Lithuania. If my research is correct, Lewis Robinson was born Ludovice Rabinovicius; the latter being a patronymic from son of a Rabbi. I am given to understand from speaking with my dad's surviving 1st cousins (June who is 95 and Geraldine who is 90), that their grandfather was of the Orthodox Sect. They also told me that they do believe that neither his mother, nor his paternal grandmother were born Jewish, but were converts (as were his German ancestors in his paternal line), and as was his wife.

My paternal grandfather, Harold, converted to Roman Catholicism to wed.

That being said. :)

One of my favorite names in my family background is Brasseaux. The line was founded by Gjerulff the Dane, who was born in Nord Ringkøbing circa 1630. He was a brewer, and as a youth (presumably as a journeyman) moved to the little town by the castle of La Citardiere, which is near Mervant in Britanny to work in his craft.

The name came to North America with his son, who was born circa 1650. Mathieu Brasseux (sometimes found in the records as La Brasseur) dit La Citardy emigrated from France circa 1680 to Port Royal, Acadia. When he remarried in 1702, he was 39 years older than his wife Jeanne. They had 11 children by the time he died in 1733. I have no solid information about the identity of his 1st wife, just a footnote that she and other children existed.

I've had a couple of email exchanges with a fellow who has opened a brew pub in Nord Ringkøbing, nice to see that great (times x) grandfather's trade is still practiced in his home town.

Damião de Góis
07-29-2011, 04:34 PM
I have three. According to Count Arnau's analysis it seems that two of them are Galician, while one is likely from Alentejo going by distribution of those three surnames. I'm not sure about the origin of the words. They could be related to place names. Two are related to trees.

Ouistreham
07-29-2011, 04:55 PM
As a fellow with whom I like to correspond here at Apricity has gently reminded me... :wink

Robinson is an Anglicized version of my great grandfather's family name in Lithuania. If my research is correct, Lewis Robinson was born Ludovice Rabinovicius; the latter being a patronymic from son of a Rabbi. I am given to understand from speaking with my dad's surviving 1st cousins (June who is 95 and Geraldine who is 90), that their grandfather was of the Orthodox Sect. They also told me that they do believe that neither his mother, nor his paternal grandmother were born Jewish, but were converts (as were his German ancestors in his paternal line), and as was his wife.

My paternal grandfather, Harold, converted to Roman Catholicism to wed.

That being said. :)

One of my favorite names in my family background is Brasseaux. The line was founded by Gjerulff the Dane, who was born in Nord Ringkøbing circa 1630. He was a brewer, and as a youth (presumably as a journeyman) moved to the little town by the castle of La Citardiere, which is near Mervant in Britanny to work in his craft.

The name came to North America with his son, who was born circa 1650. Mathieu Brasseux (sometimes found in the records as La Brasseur) dit La Citardy emigrated from France circa 1680 to Port Royal, Acadia. When he remarried in 1702, he was 39 years older than his wife Jeanne. They had 11 children by the time he died in 1733. I have no solid information about the identity of his 1st wife, just a footnote that she and other children existed.

I've had a couple of email exchanges with a fellow who has opened a brew pub in Nord Ringkøbing, nice to see that great (times x) grandfather's trade is still practiced in his home town.

I suppose you know that Brasseur just means "brewer", and as such it's a very common name in Northern France. Brasseux is a dialectal Norman/Picard form, found most frequently in Picardy. Brasseaux is a quite rare surname. I briefly checked a French genealogy portal, it seems Brasseaux is/was present in an area extending from Maine/Anjou to Bordeaux.

All in all, the geographical origins of that cluster of surnames just encompasses the provinces French Canadians typically came from.

Frederick
07-30-2011, 11:29 AM
xxx

Comte Arnau
07-30-2011, 06:21 PM
I have three. According to Count Arnau's analysis it seems that two of them are Galician,

Wait. All I could infer is that those surnames are common in Galicia, so they are probably GP surnames, being common in all the Galician-Portuguese-speaking area. Sometimes very common or spread surnames have more than one origin, so it does not necessarily mean that you have direct Galician ancestry. Don't be so worried! ;):D

Damião de Góis
07-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Wait. All I could infer is that those surnames are common in Galicia, so they are probably GP surnames, being common in all the Galician-Portuguese-speaking area. Sometimes very common or spread surnames have more than one origin, so it does not necessarily mean that you have direct Galician ancestry. Don't be so worried! ;):D

lol, i'm not worried. Since i know nothing beyond my great grand parents i find all possible information interesting. Still, those surnames could be from Northern Portugal.
In any case, those maps helped.

Piparskeggr
07-30-2011, 06:40 PM
I suppose you know that Brasseur just means "brewer", and as such it's a very common name in Northern France. Brasseux is a dialectal Norman/Picard form, found most frequently in Picardy. Brasseaux is a quite rare surname. I briefly checked a French genealogy portal, it seems Brasseaux is/was present in an area extending from Maine/Anjou to Bordeaux.

All in all, the geographical origins of that cluster of surnames just encompasses the provinces French Canadians typically came from.

Thank you for the historical note, and yes, you suppose correctly.

I think it a neat thing that I had an ancestor who was a brewer (and thus the family name), as I have been a home brewer since 1974. Also, it is one of the few surnames from an occupation in my family tree.

blaidd
07-31-2011, 10:45 PM
I don't quite know. Can I PM it to someone who could help me figure out where the heck it's from? :D

CelticTemplar
07-31-2011, 11:04 PM
My surname is Portuguese, and means quite literally: milk. Meaning either my ancestors where pale, or they sold goat milk.

SilverKnight
07-31-2011, 11:04 PM
Firstname - Galician origins

Perez (moms last name not giving first name)

Sephardic Jewish/ Romance / Castile

Bridie
08-02-2011, 02:41 PM
My surname is of Norman origin. What would that be considered as? Romance? Or maybe an anglicised romance name? In which case, I suppose it would be germanicised romance. :p Bah... I don't know...

Neanderthal
08-02-2011, 03:37 PM
One is Germanic and the other one Castillan, but I wont tell. :taped-shut:

Edward
08-10-2011, 01:23 AM
My Surname is of Norman origin.

Lábaru
08-10-2011, 01:30 AM
Firstname - Galician origins

Perez (moms last name not giving first name)

Sephardic Jewish/ Romance / Castile

Pérez not is Jew, is Son of Pedro. Example Peterson.

Se trata de un linaje que probó repetidas veces la limpieza de su sangre ante las Ordenes Militares Españolas en las que sus miembros deseaban ingresar. Durante siglos, los del apellido Pérez estuvieron presentes en todas las instituciones nobiliarias españolas, unas veces en solicitud de probanza de su limpieza de sangre y otras litigando diversas familias del apellido en defensa cada una de aquellos que entendían sus derechos sobre la otra y así las Reales Chancillerías de Valladolid y Granada, sobre todo, se encuentran llenas de pleitos en los que interviene el apellido Pérez.

Cymel
08-10-2011, 02:00 AM
mine is French though I live in Ticino, so I think it's romance.

Boudica
08-10-2011, 02:06 AM
My surname is Anglo Saxon, so Germanic.. As for my mom's surname, VERY Celtic.

Blossom
08-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Oh guys guys guys! Recently I've discovered another new surname running in my family! I havent seen family tree in a while but I found documents woah and I love it, sounds so nice! Its pretty common in USA, Germany and Czech Republic (though it has the same German origin)! I need to investigate!

But hell yeah, sounds good.

HENDRICH.

English: Hendrix.
Scottish: Hendrick.

rhiannon
08-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Mine has several possibilities....

It could be English, Northern French (from a place in Northern France), or German.

The first person with this surname, known to be an ancestor of ours, came to America from England back in 1659.

That's all I know.

Blossom
08-10-2011, 10:41 AM
But hell yeah, sounds good.

HENDRICH.

English: Hendrix.
Scottish: Hendrick.

The man's full name I found in my family with this origin was: Gottlieb Hendrich. :) Need to investigate more, though, I think its pretty obvious origin.

Zeppelin20
09-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Recently discovered that my surname (and my great-great-great grandfather) derive from Norway. Which is funny because I always thought it was a British name since it's the same as a certain famous English admiral's :)

Osweo
09-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Recently discovered that my surname (and my great-great-great grandfather) derive from Norway. Which is funny because I always thought it was a British name since it's the same as a certain famous English admiral's :)

The sons of Nel take their name from an ancestor whose name has been spelled variously as Nel, Neil, Nigel and Niall. Our admiral was from Norfolk, which saw a fair bit of Norse colonisation. Nigel is a Norman French name, with the Norsemen again featuring as the originators.

No such name as Nel was known in the original Norse stock of names, and this personal name was in fact taken by the Norse from their Irish neighbours, when they were settling around Dublin and Wexford and so on. We see it as 'Njal' in the sagas.

Nelson is thus the same as Ui Neill - 'descendant of Niall', or O'Neill in modern anglicised spelling. The Ui Neill were a powerful group of dynasties in mediaeval Ireland - a prestigious stock for a hibernicised Norseman to connect himself with. They were founded by the Fifth Century AD High King of Ireland Niall of the Nine Hostages (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niall_of_the_Nine_Hostages).

Apparently, my genetics mean that it's highly likely that I'm his direct male line descendant, as you yourself may be. See; http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24046 :thumb001:

Brynhild
09-11-2011, 12:14 AM
My father's name is Maltese, so I voted other for that reason, while my mother's name is Anglo-Saxon, deriving from Gloucestershire in England.

Since I posted that around two years ago, some research has uncovered the possibility of my surname actually originating from Calabria. :shrug: I'm still none the wiser at this point.

Hevneren
09-11-2011, 12:23 AM
I voted Hellenic, but I guess it's actually Hebrew in origin since it's taken from the Bible and "Germanicised". I'm not a huge fan of my last name to be honest.

Kataphraktoi
09-11-2011, 12:31 AM
My surname is of Polish-Ashkenazi origin; it seems to be very uncommon and I'm not sure what it means.

MacGomery
09-11-2011, 04:48 AM
My fathers surname is Plumley it is an Emglish name . They came to the Pennsylvania colonies from Pirdy & Wells Somerset England. My mothers side is lowland scots Montgomery and her mother's side Wallace. They settled the American South by way of Northern Ireland. I only have 2 non Brittish ancestors that go way back . One is German-Swiss ( furrer ) and the other a Native American woman ( no name )

Graham
09-11-2011, 02:27 PM
My surname Little, Border Reivers on the Debatable Lands.
http://robertpotts.co.uk/images/bordernames.jpg

Our Genetic group. :p

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/R-L21-1113Combo/default.aspxR-L21* 11-13 Combo: includes L513+, L193+, P66+, P314.2+, L362+ - Background
Surnames
Adams, Ammerlaan, Anglin, Ash, Banks, Belsher, Benn, Bergeron, Bibber, Boyd, Breen, Burns, Bussey, Byrne, Cameron, Campbell, Carter, Coleman, Connell, Conrardy, Corrigan, Coulson, Craig, Dever, Devin, Divin, Divine, Donohoe, Driscoll, Duff, Dugger, Evans, Ferguson, Gamble, Gammel, Gilroy, Gittens, Goff, Golliher, Gruetzmacher, Gurry, Johnston, Kelly, Kennedy, Kingston, Lackey, Leary, Lemons, Lewis, Little, Lytle, Mackenzie, MacLean, Maguire, Måland (Hjelmeland), Martin, Massey, Massie, Matheson, Mavity, McAllister, McAuley, McClain, McConnell, McCormick, McCowan, McCown, McGuire, McKenzie, McKlem, McLain, McLean, McMahon, McManus, McQuillan, Meek, Meeks, Miller, Morgan, Morris, Müller, Newman, Newton, O'Donoughue, O'Gara, O'Hara, O'Neill, O'Rourke, O'Shea, Owen, Palmer, Pillsbury, Plunkett, Powell, Proffitt, Robertson, Rose, Ross, Shay, Sinclair, Sinkler, St. Clair, Stephens, Stevens, Sullivan, Sunesson (Tibbhult), Tiernan, Turpin, Vance, Vans, Vaus, Vaux, Walsh, Ward, Watkins, Welch, Welsh, Whalen, White, Wilkey, Wilson, Woods, Young

R-L21 11-13 is a potential deep ancestral variety of people, scattered across the British Isles, Scandinavia, Benelux, France and Germany. Many of the sub-groups have Most Recent Common Ancestors (MRCA) that go back to 800-1200 AD. There are almost 20 sub-groups, three of which have been associated with newly discovered SNP's, L153, L193 and P314.2.

There are many surnames but the largest families with 11-13 variety people are Kingston, MacKenzie/McKenzie, Vans/Vance of Barnbarroch, McClain/McLean, O'Shea, Sinclair/St.Clair, Banks, Barrett of Mayo, Kelly of Kildare, Byrnes of Monaghan, Maguire/McGuire of Fermangagh, Ross/Rose of Kilvarock, Massey/Massie, Walsh/Welsh/Welch as well as the Scottish Border Reiver families of Elliott, Clendennen/Glendinning, Irvin/Irvine, Little/Lytle

Barreldriver
09-11-2011, 02:44 PM
My surname Little, Border Reivers on the Debatable Lands.
http://robertpotts.co.uk/images/bordernames.jpg

Our Genetic group. :p

My great grandmother is a "Liddle" which ancestry.com's surname origins has as coming from the Borders. Her Great Gramps and his wife (Fleming) were both immigrants he from Tyrone his wife from Donegal. Perhaps some distant connection prior to the move to Tyrone?

Graham
09-11-2011, 06:57 PM
My great grandmother is a "Liddle" which ancestry.com's surname origins has as coming from the Borders. Her Great Gramps and his wife (Fleming) were both immigrants he from Tyrone his wife from Donegal. Perhaps some distant connection prior to the move to Tyrone?

hmmm where does the surname Fleming comes from? :p but it is Scottish.:thumb001:

The river Liddle/liddel runs through the in the area of the Reivers.

The Debatable Lands extended from the Solway Firth near Carlisle to Langholm in Dumfries and Galloway, the largest population centre being Canonbie. The lands included the baronies of Kirkandrews, Bryntallone and Morton.

They were around ten miles (16 km) long from north to south and four miles (6 km) wide.

The boundaries were marked by the rivers Liddel and Esk in the east and the River Sark in the west. For over three hundred years they were effectively controlled by local clans, such as the Armstrongs, who successfully resisted any attempt by the Scottish or English governments to impose their authority.

In his history of the Border Reivers (The Steel Bonnets (1971)), George Macdonald Fraser says that the Armstrongs alone could put 3,000 men in the field. They launched frequent raids on farms and settlements outside the Debatable Lands, the profits enabling them to become major landowners.

Other clans in the area were the Elwands, Ellwoods, or Elliots who extended into Teviotdale; the Nixons who were more numerous in Cumberland; the Crossars in Upper Liddesdale, with their chief stronghold in Riccarton; and the Grahams, who owned five towers in the Debatable Land. The Irvings, Olivers, Bells, Dicksons, and Littles were also present in varying numbers.

In 1530, King James V took action against the lawless clans of the Debatable Lands and imprisoned the Lords Bothwell, Maxwell and Home, Walter Scott of Buccleuch, and other border lairds for their lack of action. James took various other steps, but significantly he broke the strength of the Armstrongs by hanging Johnnie Armstrong of Gilnockie and thirty-one others at Carlanrig Chapel, under questionable circumstances.

In 1551 the Crown officers of England and Wales, in an attempt to clear out the trouble makers, declared that "All Englishmen and Scottishmen, after this proclamation made, are and shall be free to rob, burn, spoil, slay, murder and destroy all and every such persons, their bodies, buildings, goods and cattle as do remain or shall inhabit upon any part of the said Debatable Land without any redress to be made for the same."

In 1552 a border line was agreed by commissioners, and soon after the Scots' Dike was built to mark it the line; this did not, however, stop the lawlessness.

When the thrones of Scotland and England were united in 1603, King James VI of Scotland became James I of England, and he embarked on the so-called "Pacification of the Borders", purging the Border reivers, destroying their fortified tower houses, rounding up their families and sending them to Ireland and elsewhere.

Osweo
09-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Why do my Kelso Lambs never make it onto these maps? :p

SilverKnight
09-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Galicia

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5776/maparegionaldegalicia.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/64/maparegionaldegalicia.jpg/)

Siginulfo
10-09-2011, 05:54 PM
My surname is of noble Latin origins:D

research_centre
10-09-2011, 05:57 PM

You and me both.

research_centre
10-09-2011, 05:58 PM
^ I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Peyrol
10-10-2011, 10:55 AM

You and me both.

I'm an expert of historical italian surnames: send me (in private) your surnames, and i can show you all informations about.

mvbeleg
10-14-2011, 05:02 AM
My father's father's father's father (a German-speaking Czech) bore the Smetana family name. After immigrating to the USA, he changed it several times [in an effort to assimilate].

My family name is Scottish. There are less than thirty people in the USA that share my family name.

Edelmann
10-14-2011, 05:04 AM
My father's father's father's father (a German-speaking Czech) bore the Smetana family name. After immigrating to the USA, he changed it several times [in an effort to assimilate].

My family name is Scottish. There are less than thirty people in the USA that share my family name.

Any relation the the composer?

Logan
10-14-2011, 05:34 AM
English
http://www.destinationsouthwest.co.uk/images/main/sw_map1.gif

rgj20091014
10-14-2011, 05:44 AM
There are well known Cherokee names which are, in fact, "Cherokee" names. In some cases these names are English translations of Cherokee names or are in some other way truly Cherokee. Some examples are Bushyhead, Cornsilk, Corntassel, Kingfisher, and Mankiller. Bushyhead is a family name which dates prior to the American Revolution with a Scottish ancestor who had wild red hair and married into the Cherokees. Mankiller was the name given to the person in charge of protecting the remy lace front wigs (http://www.lacewigsbuy.com/lace-front-wigs-human-hair.html). If you find one of these names in your ancestry you can feel pretty confident that you have Cherokee ancestry. Proving it to the government, however, is a different story.

mvbeleg
10-14-2011, 05:45 AM
Any relation the the composer?

Apparently not a direct descendant as Bedřich as he had no male children.

I don't know whether or not there is any close (or distant) relation between by g-g-grandfather and Bedřich.
Bedřich lived between 1824 and 1884.
My g-g-grandfather's immigration records indicate that he was born in Prague, Austria in the year 1862.

AussieScott
10-14-2011, 08:56 AM
My last name was French/Prussian it was made more Scottish after my ancestor immigrated and settled in Scotland. It is not a well known name as my Great Grandfather was the only one to come back from world war 1 from our entire family. It must be a Prussian thing. My son is now the last of my paternal line, hopefully I'll sire another. :)

Though the original name still survives in France.

hannah
10-14-2011, 09:59 AM
where does the name Wilson come from?

Leliana
10-14-2011, 02:03 PM
My surname is Germanic and my forename is hebrew (Anna).

Peyrol
10-14-2011, 03:13 PM

Pathronimic, "son of William / Guillaume", i presume.

Magister Eckhart
10-14-2011, 06:20 PM
I can't remember if I posted in this thread or not...

Anyway, my surname is Germanic, derived from Old English through Middle Scots. It's a simple place-name. My praenomen is Greek in origins but popular in Hungary, Germany, and England as well.

Albion
10-20-2011, 10:08 PM
My surname is Celtic-derived by chance only. It's an English locational surname and the place from where one of my paternal ancestors who first used it came from. The place name just happens to be a very old Celtic-derived place name.

It's distribution is in the South and East, god, I'm descended from Southerners. :rolleyes:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16581&stc=1&d=1319148312

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16582&stc=1&d=1319148312

Ha - we're slowly taking over the South and East - soon England will be ours! :D

We have a strange outpost in Caithness and Cornwall. Cornwall is an outpost for a few other surnames in my family too, I don't know if it has anything to do with sailing or mining migrants maybe?

One of those little postcode areas way up on our frontiers in the north is probably exclusively the domain of my folks, we're a big family - no falling birth rates with us. :D

Logan
10-21-2011, 03:03 AM

Kilmarnock?

http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/

Tarja
10-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Gaelic origin, so Celtic. :)

Jaska
10-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Finnic.
Häkkinen comes from the Karelian word häkki, a deminutive-like derivation of härkä 'bull'; -nen is a common surname ending in Finland. During the first written records, the name Häkkinen was already there, so it was born in the Medieval times and spread with the Savonian expansion. Finno-Karelian surnames are quite old, for a peasant (non-noble) names.

Ultimately the word härkä is an old Baltic loanword:
härkä < Middle Proto-Finnic *šärkä <-- Baltic *žirgas 'steed, stallion'. The semantic difference is based on the original meaning 'draught animal', as it is related to a Baltic word žergti 'to stand wide/stiff etc.'

The Ripper
10-23-2011, 01:38 PM
I met my grandfather today and he told me that our surname was taken by his grandfather, so it's quite recent.

Germanicus
10-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Recently i went into a Thompsons travel agents to pay off my holiday bill in full, the woman on the computer asked for my full name and post code so she could bring everything upon the screen, i gave her my full name and middle name and said "i guess i am the only one in the UK with that name" to which she replied "no, there is another one of you in Basingstoke"

Unurautare
10-23-2011, 01:55 PM
My family name is of Romanian/Romance origin and it can be interpreted what it means(my guess is that it's related to a color name in Latin),it's also one letter off from looking exactly the same as it's Italian version:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5707/romanianversiono.jpg

The Italian name:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6971/italianversion.jpg

Burgomaster
10-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Anglo-Saxon. Most commonly found in Kent and Essex.

Osweo
10-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Recently i went into a Thompsons travel agents to pay off my holiday bill in full, the woman on the computer asked for my full name and post code so she could bring everything upon the screen, i gave her my full name and middle name and said "i guess i am the only one in the UK with that name" to which she replied "no, there is another one of you in Basingstoke"

Seek and Destroy... :....

morski
10-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Finnic.
Häkkinen comes from the Karelian word häkki, a deminutive-like derivation of härkä 'bull'; -nen is a common surname ending in Finland. During the first written records, the name Häkkinen was already there, so it was born in the Medieval times and spread with the Savonian expansion. Finno-Karelian surnames are quite old, for a peasant (non-noble) names.

Ultimately the word härkä is an old Baltic loanword:
härkä < Middle Proto-Finnic *šärkä <-- Baltic *žirgas 'steed, stallion'. The semantic difference is based on the original meaning 'draught animal', as it is related to a Baltic word žergti 'to stand wide/stiff etc.'

Are you Mika Häkkinen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mika_H%C3%A4kkinen) :P

lI
10-24-2011, 02:21 AM
Only two Baltic surnames??!! I need to recruit some Balts here, ha ha. Do they have the internetz in the Baltics?Went up to four just now :D
I've got a Baltic surname too, it's of Old Prussian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Prussians) origin.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Prussians)

Jake Featherston
10-24-2011, 02:56 AM
My surname comes from Munster.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Ireland_location_Munster.jpg/200px-Ireland_location_Munster.jpg

Waidewut
10-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Only two Baltic surnames??!! I need to recruit some Balts here, ha ha. Do they have the internetz in the Baltics?

A large portion of Latvians have surnames of Germanic origin, like myself, because at the time Latvians received their surnames German landlords were in charge of the administration of the surname giving. Thus they gave surnames they were used to or the other case might have been Latvians wanting to be in a higher social class, by receiving a German surname. The case is different in the Easternmost cultural region- Latgale, where the landlords were Polish, thus many Latvians from there have a Slavic surname.

arcticwolf
10-24-2011, 01:29 PM
My comes from the name of a common animal. Would names that come from the names of animals, places, professions etc, like wolf, smith etc ( of course spelled in local language ;) ) be one of the oldest last names for any European nationality? Just curious. Any expert on the subject?

Jaska
10-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Are you Mika Häkkinen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mika_H%C3%A4kkinen) :P
No, and not even related, to my knowledge. There are over 5 000 Häkkinen here in Finland. :)

Barreldriver
10-25-2011, 12:11 AM
I wish my surname was Abyssic Hate so I can not have second thoughts aboyt Hate all mhumans

larali
10-27-2011, 01:46 AM
It was a German variation of a word that meant lighthouse keeper or something. Then I got married. Now it is an English place name.

Albion
10-27-2011, 07:50 AM
It was a German variation of a word that meant lighthouse keeper or something. Then I got married. Now it is an English place name.

You're married to an Englishman? Lol, you can be a honorary Englishwoman.

Hurrem sultana
10-28-2011, 06:16 AM
part slavic part arabic,,bosnian surnames mostly are like that

example Husein+ovic-son of Husein,Imamovic-son of imam,Ahmedovic-son of Ahmed,Ibrahimovic-son of Ibrahim

memobekes
10-28-2011, 09:37 AM
part slavic part arabic,,bosnian surnames mostly are like that

example Husein+ovic-son of Husein,Imamovic-son of imam,Ahmedovic-son of Ahmed,Ibrahimovic-son of Ibrahim

I've always been interested in the surnames of South Slavs. I know that "ovich" and "evich" refer to "son of" but some surnames can also depict profession rather than Arab or Persian (owing to religion) origins. For example, do any of these surnames have any particular meaning?

- Kovačević
- Nemeljaković
- Kapetanović
- Ramakić
- Zlomislić
- Leković

Regards.

Panopticon
10-28-2011, 09:47 AM
I've always been interested in the surnames of South Slavs. I know that "ovich" and "evich" refer to "son of" but some surnames can also depict profession rather than Arab or Persian (owing to religion) origins. For example, do any of these surnames have any particular meaning?

- Kovačević
- Nemeljaković
- Kapetanović
- Ramakić
- Zlomislić
- Leković

Regards.

Can't speak for the most of them but a Kapetan was a military rank, I believe the English word 'Captain' and 'Kapetan' has the same root. Lekovic might come from the Albanian diminutive for Alexander 'Lek'.

Duke
10-28-2011, 09:54 AM

- Kovačević
- Nemeljaković
- Kapetanović
- Ramakić
- Zlomislić
- Leković

Regards.

there is also Kovač(Smith) for instance.

Kovačević means from smith

There is also Kovačić variation

Other Slavs have also same types of surname, but they write it as for instance Kovacevich, because they dont have Č, and Ć simbols in their alphabet.

It is pronounced the same.

Horten, surnames listed were ones derived from ocupations, and Kapetanović, comes from Kapetan.

Lek is cure/remedy

Hurrem sultana
10-28-2011, 09:55 AM

- Kovačević
- Nemeljaković
- Kapetanović
- Ramakić
- Zlomislić
- Leković

Regards.

Kapetanovic-son of the captain( usual surname in all countries).

Kovacevic-Kovac means blacksmith..so son of a blacksmith

the other mentioned i cant really translate,someone else might be able :)

morski
10-28-2011, 12:28 PM

- Kovačević
- Nemeljaković
- Kapetanović
- Ramakić
- Zlomislić
- Leković

Regards.

Haha:) One who thinks ill:D Or Evilthinker-ic buahaha.

mymy
10-28-2011, 01:29 PM

I think in Czech "smetana" also mean milk product, cream of milk...

Onychodus
10-28-2011, 01:37 PM

http://uvamoloko.com/user_images/smetana_c.jpg

Veneda
10-28-2011, 01:39 PM

Yes, that’s true. In Polish we have also śmietana (cream as a dairy product) :)

mvbeleg
11-14-2011, 12:27 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smetana_%28dairy_product%29

Queen of Swords
11-23-2011, 10:31 PM

сметана (smetana) is a Russian word, too.

TheBorrebyViking
12-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Beitler, I got my mom's surname due to my dad not liking his and his last name was just adopted. The non-adopted name would be Grēne.

2. from a Germanic personal name related to Old High German wīt 'far'.

White pages says 1-52 live in Illinois, I can attest that half of them live in one household.

Sagitta Hungarica
12-28-2011, 10:26 AM
My surname is very common among Hungarians, however I found two different theories about its origin. First one says it is of Latin origin, from Roman times, and my surname is a Hungarianized version of it. The other one says it is French, from the region of Normandy, so it could also be a mix of Germanic with Romance, but to be honest it sounds very French.

Unurautare
12-28-2011, 10:31 AM
My surname is very common among Hungarians, however I found two different theories about its origin. First one says it is of Latin origin, from Roman times, and my surname is a Hungarianized version of it. The other one says it is French, from the region of Normandy, so it could also be a mix of Germanic with Romance, but to be honest it sounds very French.

*my 2 cents on "Latin origin": 1)magyarized Romanian(probably mixed with Asians too) with major butthurt on the world and everything alive in it;

2) Catholic name.

HungAryan
12-28-2011, 10:51 AM
2) Catholic name.

Medieval Hungarians didn't have surnames, but instead had those "son of XY" stuff, like Arabs, Jews and Icelanders. (Icelandic people still have those names)
However, later on - possibly during the 16th century - Hungarians started using surnames in European fashion, with having a seperate surname and given name, and not that "X, son of Y" stuff... That's when a lot of masculine given names also became surnames.
Ever since Hungary's conversion to Christianity, a good number of the Hungarian aristocracy adopted Greek, Latin and Hebrew names.
For example, the Greek "Stephanos" (IPA: stæfɑnos) became "István" (IPA: iʃtvaːn, kinda like "ishtwaan").

A quite sizeable amount of Hungarian names came from Latin.
Like "Aurél" (from Aurelius), which is both a surname and a masculine given name.
Or Ágoston, Ármin, Antal, Abbás, Bálint, Bence, Benedek, Domonkos, János, Jácint, Kolumbán, Károly, Kornél, etc. All masculine given names and surnames at the same time.
They entered the Hungarian language during the Christianization.

Occident
12-28-2011, 11:01 AM
The origin of my surname is Norman, derived from a small village in Normandy. The modern form of the name is predominantly associated with Wales and Ireland; my direct paternal ancestry is Irish, so possibly I'm of Hiberno-Norman decent. Apparantly various forms of the name are still common in France.

Caeruleus
12-28-2011, 11:02 AM
my surname is quite rare, it is a form of the name of a romanian folk hero :) it is either of latin origin (meaning hill) or of dacian origin (meaning stork), I guess that romanian members with a little knowledge of romanian folk stories and onomastics might guess what my last name is.

Sagitta Hungarica
12-28-2011, 11:22 AM
*my 2 cents on "Latin origin": 1)magyarized Romanian(probably mixed with Asians too) with major butthurt on the world and everything alive in it;

2) Catholic name.

Haven't they banned you for your stupidity yet :confused:

Unurautare
12-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Haven't they banned you for your stupidity yet :confused:

You're 1st in line,hypocrite. :<

Sagitta Hungarica
12-28-2011, 12:52 PM
You're 1st in line,hypocrite. :<

I'm not the one behaving like some infatuated kid, insulting with the most disgusting low brow comments other people's nationalities. You must have a very thick facial skin to even dare to accuse me.

TheBorrebyViking
12-28-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm loling here.

Unurautare
12-28-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm not the one behaving like some infatuated kid, insulting with the most disgusting low brow comments other people's nationalities. You must have a very thick facial skin to even dare to accuse me.

No you are just the typical butthurt hun idiot stalking the Romanian threads and commenting bullshit about the neighbors whenever possible and bitching like a little girl all the time,like you're doing now. :3

Artek
12-28-2011, 01:48 PM
I've voted for other, sounds unspecific like in between Germanic and Slavic and Finno-Ugric.
By my haplo marker comparison, I'm somewhat related to the surnames like Orr, Faulk, Rajala, Harris, Gibbs, Johnson, Swenson, Tanski, Pokorny, McDonald o.O.

Rajala sounds the most similar, but it's finnish surname.

Sagitta Hungarica
12-28-2011, 03:05 PM
No you are just the typical butthurt hun idiot stalking the Romanian threads and commenting bullshit about the neighbors whenever possible and bitching like a little girl all the time,like you're doing now. :3

If seeking truth and justice is bitching in your vocabulary than I pity the environment you grew up in, and the values they teach you in your country. It's impossible to have a level-headed, civilized discussion with your kind.

Unurautare
12-28-2011, 03:48 PM
If seeking truth and justice is bitching in your vocabulary than I pity the environment you grew up in, and the values they teach you in your country. It's impossible to have a level-headed, civilized discussion with your kind.

Truth and justice-> you attack Romanians at every turn,on our own threads(we instead don't go to hun threads) but you're not even European, and you don't belong on this forum in the 1st place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_relations_of_Hungary#Hungary_and_Central_A sia
Hungary and Central Asia

A number of Hungarian anthropologists and linguists have long had an interest in the Turkic peoples, fueled by the eastern origin of the Hungarians' ancestors.[2] The Hungarian ethnomusicologist Bence Szabolcsi explained this motivation as follows: "Hungarians are the outermost branch leaning this way from age-old tree of the great Asian musical culture rooted in the souls of a variety of peoples living from China through Central Asia to the Black Sea".[3]

After the dissolution of the USSR, this scholarly and cultural interest naturally led to Hungary's establishment of relations with the newly independent Central Asian states, in particular Kazakhstan. The Hungarian scholar Tibor Tot concluded, based on cultural and DNA evidence, that a certain subgroup of Kazakhs in Kostanay Province (known as the Madjars[4] or Turgay Magyars[5]) is the one Central Asian community with the closest genetic relation to the Hungarians. The news was enthusiastically met in official and diplomatic circles, and to celebrate this connection some events were held, including a Kazakh-Hungarian festival named "Meeting Across Centuries" (Russian: Встреча через века) that took place in 2007.[6

One needs a tent to get to your kind's level. http://www.flickr.com/photos/21365963@N07/2080410477/ *jurta - ancient Hungarian tent*

Sagitta Hungarica
12-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Truth and justice-> you attack Romanians at every turn,on our own threads(we instead don't go to hun threads) but you're not even European, and you don't belong on this forum in the 1st place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_relations_of_Hungary#Hungary_and_Central_A sia

One needs a tent to get to your kind's level. http://www.flickr.com/photos/21365963@N07/2080410477/ *jurta - ancient Hungarian tent*

This is what I was talking about :rolleyes:

Artek
12-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Untermenschen, please, do it by the PM - it's not a place for a personal matters.

Olavsson
12-28-2011, 04:47 PM
The origin of my surname is the name of a farm in Sogn (western Norway). And yes, I think it's fair to say that its phonetic origin is Germanic, so that's what I voted.

EvilDave
12-28-2011, 05:47 PM
My surname has a greek origin .

Siegfried
01-02-2012, 06:31 PM
My surname is of either Hungarian or French origin, but I find the former more likely than the latter. My dad's mom's is Hungarian as well, and through the other side, both Slavic.

Geminus
01-13-2012, 06:56 PM
My surname is of Germanic origin, but with a Slavic sounding suffix.

Osweo
01-13-2012, 09:26 PM

'Nabend, Herr Wolfowitz! ;)

mymy
01-13-2012, 09:29 PM

Well, mine is derived from Hellenic word (it was court title in old Serbia).

Mordid
01-13-2012, 09:32 PM
My name is Dawid, which is derived from Slavic..

Geminus
01-14-2012, 10:54 AM
'Nabend, Herr Wolfowitz! ;)

:D
Well not exactly, but something like that.

Oliver Levanson
01-18-2012, 03:01 PM
My surname Levanson appears to be Ashkenazic Jewish in origin from all I've researched. But I'm not sure I am though as my father was adopted.

The Ripper
01-18-2012, 04:02 PM
I was surprised to hear that my brother had done some research into our family tree. Apparently he had tired of yet another person enquiring about the origins of our family name, which is somewhat peculiar, so he "decided to find out" so he could answer the question. My grandfather has already established the most likely source and hit a brick wall in the 1600's. My brother didn't get any further but he did manage to map my mother's father's family quite far back, to the 1600's as well. Turns out also that branch has a long history in the same area as my father's father's family, and the different family names are mostly derived from different rusthåll (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_allotment_system)-farms in that region (Eastern Uusimaa).

StonyArabia
01-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Surname is probably of Caucasian or maybe Iranic origin, but it ends in ov.

Hurrem sultana
01-18-2012, 04:07 PM
my surname is common among bosnians,it has a slavic ending(ovic) but with an arabic name ;)

my friends surname is weird,and uncommon(Cerkez)...maybe her ancestors were cerkezi(circassians) that came with the ottomans to Bosnia?

The Ripper
01-18-2012, 04:12 PM
From the 1680s (army) and early 18th century (navy), all soldiers in a given company were required to have a unique name, to make it easier to give specific orders. This could be problematic when several soldiers had the same name (being usually from rural background, they generally had just a patronymic, and such were often very common, e.g. Andersson, Eriksson, Olsson or Persson), giving rise to the Swedish soldier names. When a soldier appeared before the military scribe, he was given a soldier's name (often, a rote's new soldier received his predecessor's name), which he kept during his service. Those surnames also tended to become hereditary, as the soldier often retained it when he was pensioned or left the service, and his children were also registered under it in census lists and church books—this is the origin of many present-day Swedish surnames. The name was usually short, consisting of only one syllable—to make it easy and rapid to say. The names could be taken from a trait, such as the surname Stolt ("Proud") or from military terms, such as Svärd ("Sword"), but were often related to the rote. A soldier from a rote located in the village of Sundby, for example, could be given the surname Sundin. This meant that surnames often stayed with the croft, rather than with the soldier. Common practice amongst discharged soldiers in the 18th century was to reassume their original name. This changed in the 19th century, and many soldiers kept their old soldier names, passing it on to their children. Each soldier in the regiment also had a unique number, between 1 and 1,200, the number of the rote and croft he belonged to (for example nummer 15 Stolt, number 15 Stolt).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_allotment_system

I remember my grandfather mentioning an officer of the cavalry in our family tree. :)

Artek
01-18-2012, 04:12 PM
My surname Levanson appears to be Ashkenazic Jewish in origin from all I've researched. But I'm not sure I am though as my father was adopted.

Do some genetic research ! ;D

Geronimo
01-18-2012, 04:17 PM
edit ...

Midori
01-18-2012, 04:39 PM
My surname ends in ''ski'' so it's as Slavic as it gets :p

CordedWhelp
10-27-2013, 07:03 AM
In the words of Wikipedia:

"The surname means descendent of Ceallachán who was the Eóganachta King of Munster from AD 935 until 954. The personal name Cellach means 'bright-headed'. The principal Munster sept of the name Callaghan were lords of Cineál Aodha in South Cork originally. This area is west of Mallow along the Blackwater river valley. The family were dispossessed of their ancestral home and 24,000 acres (97 km2) by the Cromwellian Plantation and settled in East Clare. In 1994, Don Juan O'Callaghan of Tortosa was recognised by the Genealogical Office as the senior descendant in the male line of the last inaugurated O'Callaghan."

Also
10-27-2013, 07:07 AM
Romance and Portuguese, though most people think it is Italian.

Prisoner Of Ice
10-27-2013, 07:14 AM
Apparently it's from a group of germanic names that got anglicized in 1066. You find it mainly in northumbria.

Aurora
10-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Mine is Spanish and means branches or offshoots, olive branch.

Harkonnen
10-27-2013, 07:29 AM
My name is very old Finnish and has no meaning in modern Finnish. But in the old tongue, it has a very tragic meaning, which I don't reveal here.

Durbedico
10-27-2013, 08:33 AM
My Father surname -> Machado
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machado

My Mother surname -> Sousa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sousa_%28surname%29

Both are somewhat normal in the north of Portugal

armenianbodyhair
10-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Slav. It's more common natively than in the US that's for damn sure.

Graham
10-27-2013, 09:05 AM
It is likely my family has close relations with the other Border families of Elliott, Glendinning & Irvine as showing, on the clan map. And proven by DNA of the clan markers. We share a Common Ancestor.

R1b-P312>R-L21>R-L513+subclade of people are scattered across the British Isles, Scandinavia, Benelux, France and Germany. Many of the sub-groups have Most Recent Common Ancestors that go back to 800-1200 AD. There are almost 20 sub-groups, they are marked by the SNP L513.

There are many surnames but the largest families with L513 variety people are: Barber, Banks, Barrett of Mayo, Byrne/Burns of Monaghan, Kelly of Kildare, Kingston, MacKenzie/McKenzie, Vans/Vance of Barnbarroch, McClain/McLean, O'Shea, Sinclair/St.Clair, Banks, Barrett of Mayo, Fletcher of England, Hayes, Kelly of Kildare, Byrnes of Monaghan, Maguire/McGuire of Fermangagh, O'Gara of Ireland, O'Shea of Cork, Queen, Ross/Rose of Kilvarock, Massey/Massie, Walsh/Welsh/Welch, Woods.

As well as the Scottish Border Reiver families of Elliott, Clendennen/Glendinning, Irvin/Irvine, Little/Lytle.
http://imageshack.us/a/img845/7234/mdxm.pnghttp://imageshack.us/a/img818/3299/mt5n.jpg

Rudel
10-27-2013, 09:07 AM
My name is exclusively French. It's the name of the village my ancestors originated from/held (a bit unclear as far as genealogy can tell me).
The name lost its final "t" in my family during the XIXth century (while the village still has it), but both forms are extremely rare.
0.99 FPM in France for my name, 0.05 with the final "t". Absolutely all that bear that name are related to me within a few generations.
The name also exists in diverse and more distant variants that are more ancient (Late Gothic period / Renaissance).
These variants are somewhat more common (they're just very rare, like most names in France), but a number of them are bore by extremely remote cousins.

The name of the village itself is an ancient combination of a person's name + geographical feature (Literally "X's hill") that has evolved along with the French language. It's Latin, though the person's name might be indifferently Gallo-Roman or Romanized Frank.
It's typical of the post-Roman period as in the region a lot of new farms and settlements were created (the Franks coming around).

I was born and raised less than 50km away from that village.

http://i.imgur.com/rRaHvUj.jpg

Those from Champagne are my uncles, born when my Grand-Father had a job there. Those in Brittany and Paris are a cousin's children and grandchildren (working in administration, bound to move around).
Those in Alsace are also distant cousins. I don't know those in the Centre.

The most common of the variants :

http://i.imgur.com/KDMeMva.jpg

It's more common because it has originated in different places. Some bearers are very distant relatives, most aren't.

My mum's name is a very common hypochoristic in the South, nothing special about it.

Virtuous
10-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Romance.

Maleficent
10-27-2013, 09:11 AM
My paternal surname is Semitic(Arabic) and literally means victor/victorious/victory. I think if I wanted to Anglicize it, it would definitely be Victor, lol. It's a very common surname unfortunately, so saying where it peaks wouldn't mean anything special.

My maternal surname is Germanic(coming from Middle English) and supposedly originated as an obvious nickname for a philanderer, or a man who loved a woman above his social status. Apparently peaks in Lancashire and is very rare.

Rudel
10-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Despite my surname being mostly found in Lower Normandy, France and Canada and the USA and being recognised as a "French" name, other research suggests the following: "from a Germanic female personal name Hrodberga, composed of the elements hrod ‘renown’ + bergo ‘protection’." (Many thanks to my friend Psychonaut for this last piece of research btw! :thumb001:)

So I guess I vote "Germanic"! :thumb001:

Cheers!...Hrodberga :D
So your name must be Roberge and the likes. A wide number of French names are of Germanic origins, doesn't make them Germanic.
Or first names (used as last names as well) such as Amaury, Arnaud, Roger, Gérard, Robert, Louis, Charles, Henri, Foulques (and thousands like them) are Germanic too, even though they're rather outrageously French. But I agree that it's all rather contentious, like all our Frankish (or Normand for those hailing from Anglo-Normand families) heritage (that I accept fully).

Ianus
10-27-2013, 09:43 AM
My is of iranic origin

Smaug
10-27-2013, 01:46 PM
One is Celtic and the other is Anglo-Saxon.

Zmey Gorynych
10-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Slavicized greek name.

Stanley
10-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Germanic > English

Appears to be more common in the south of England:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/JH9020/Screenshot2013-10-27at85737AM_zps50b59539.png

The other three surnames of my grandparents:
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/JH9020/9e5464c3-ba24-47dc-ad20-e26ac85621bc_zpsc77497ff.jpg
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/JH9020/8fbe49cb-9993-43f9-a926-110c74702874_zps242a6f7c.jpg
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/JH9020/c972938a-8491-434b-9d7d-2b89fa51fe93_zps21790bb4.jpg

Vukodav
10-27-2013, 02:26 PM
my surname derives from my ancestors nickname. he earned it by killing some Ottoman pasha. so it is kinda unique, since all people with that surname are related to each other. of course it has typical Serbian ending "ić".

Cleitus
10-27-2013, 02:36 PM
My Surname comes from religious texts like the Bhagavadgītā, the Bible, the Quran, and so forth.

mr. logan
10-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Germanic. Bavaria.

Proctor
10-27-2013, 02:51 PM
All of my 4 direct surnames are
Tizzi: Italian/Romance
Crocker: Anglo-saxon/Germanic
Harris: Norman/Germanic
Macdonald: Scottish/Celtic

cally
10-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Catholic Albanian

Shkembe Chorba
10-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Slavicized Greek name too.

After Demetrius of Thessaloniki.

Archduke
10-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Slavic with Turkish prefix. :D

Black Wolf
10-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Mine has a Latin (Romance) origin as it comes from the Calabria region of Italy. It is the second most common surname in the town that my ancestors came from but it is not common outside of Calabria at all really.

bimo
10-27-2013, 03:09 PM
i don't know lol

i know only that my surname is common only in my italian region (emilia-romagna)

Leadchucker
10-27-2013, 03:15 PM
From Surname database for Avis:

...........surname in the spelling of Aves, Avis, Aviss, Aveson and Avison, derives from the personal name "Avis", originally an exceedingly old Germanic name, introduced into England after the Norman Conquest of 1066. The first known form of the name was "Haduwig" (whence modern German "Hedwig"), meaning "refuge in war"; the French form was softened to "Edwige", and in the Norman dialect it became "Havoise". By degrees this was shortened to "Havoisia", "Avicia", "Avice", and finally "Avis". In its variant forms it is frequently found in medieval records, but nowadays only the forms "Avis" and, less commonly "Avice" are found. "Auicia" (without surname) is noted in the Register of St. Benet of Holme, Norfolk (1175), and Ricardus filius (son of) Avice is listed in the Subsidy Rolls of Staffordshire (1332). The surname is first recorded in the latter half of the 12th Century (see below). Thomas Avyce was listed in the Book of Fees of Berkshire (1220), and Thomas Avis was noted in the Subsidy Rolls of Suffolk (1524). Recordings of the surname from London Church Registers include: the christening of Richard, son of Roger and Sarah Aves, on October 12th 1655 at Allhallows the Less, and the marriage of Edmund Aves and Sarah Morgane on January 5th 1692 at St. James', Duke's Place...........

Tomorr
10-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Old catholic Albanian name with origin from somewhere in northern Albania. Don't know what it means though.

Hercus Monte
10-28-2013, 02:41 AM
Baltic, for obvious reasons but the root is Latin.
my last name is quite common in western Lithuania. if you discount Lithuania, my name is mostly found in North America, particularly around Chicago, NY, L.A. and Boston, also french speaking parts of Canada.

Krampus
10-28-2013, 03:00 AM
Romance

McCauley
10-28-2013, 03:01 AM
Germany.

Kazimiera
10-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Slavic. Polish.

hisn
10-30-2013, 03:55 PM
An ancient village within Loire..

Jonik
10-31-2013, 11:30 PM
Baltic. (Jonan / Jonans). It is possible was originally from Lithuania.
Specifically for Latgalia (S.Latvia). Who I contacted about the same last name had the paternal ancestor from area around Dvinsk/Daugavpils. Just one village with the same name was in "Imenie Aglona" in 1865, and currently 2 villages around Aglona in the Latvia.
http://goo.gl/maps/3hMwY

Some people with the same last name also live currently in Poland (Grajewo & Pomorskie) (actually S.Latgalia was Polish Livonia in the past), Germany (Schleswig-Holstein).

haithabu
11-22-2013, 11:31 PM
Most of the surnames in my family immigrated from the Swiss Emmental 250-300 years ago:

father's

mother's

paternal grandmother

grandmother's mother

curupira
11-22-2013, 11:38 PM
My surname is German and it has no relation to the bulk of my ancestry, since I'm overwhelmingly Brazilian (31/32) and only 1/32 German. In spite of being a hebrew name, it is gentile German (similar to Adams), after a Catholic German peasant who came to Brazil (R-L11+ carrier).

Baldur
11-22-2013, 11:43 PM
It's a taken germanic name, that in Sweden goes under the branch of soldiers name, similar to the french nom the guerre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nom_de_guerre#Noms_de_guerre).

armenianbodyhair
11-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Mine's a French name with a Slavic ending.

Mine is likely of similar origin/make up.

Fear Fiain
11-22-2013, 11:49 PM
Mine is likely of similar origin/make up.

mine's amuricanized german. name von einem adelsgeschlecht.
you're lucky.
it sucks having a mismatched surname and identity.

Mazik
12-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Germanic, the first man who took the surname was the farmer August Jonsson who took it in 1862.

The surname is simply a mixture of two nature phenomenons. Those two nature phenomenons translated into English would be: "little island" and "grove".

The surname of my mother is also Germanic, it's Andersson (from her paternal great grandfather Anders Nilsson). Anders father had the surname Sorsén though. Which was a Saami surname.

Han Cholo
12-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Both are Spanish. One refers to a profession related to war and the other denotes location of the person.

MelinusMargos
12-11-2013, 07:29 PM
My surname comes from Latin, and literally means "Battle", it's probably from the medieval knight and epic era, you know.

My mom's surname comes from either from langbards or according to certain sources from Iceland(so it's germanic).

Tacitus
12-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Greek origin, and very rare. I've only seen it in a couple towns in eastern Sicily, southern Calabria (me), Taranto, and an Italianized version of it in some Arbereshe villages.

Smaug
12-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Germanic and Celto-Romance.

Black Wolf
12-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Greek origin, and very rare. I've only seen it in a couple towns in eastern Sicily, southern Calabria (me), Taranto, and an Italianized version of it in some Arbereshe villages.

Sounds quite interesting.

BeerBaron
12-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Norwegian, meaning son of

Atlantic Islander
12-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Origin: France.

Tacitus
12-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Sounds quite interesting.

It is. The Arbereshe connection leaves me wondering if my ancestors were Calabrian Greeks going all the way back to Magna Grecia, or if they were more recent arrivals to Italy (500 years ago at the latest, whether they were proper Greeks or Arvanites).

Black Wolf
12-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Romance...Italian with a Latin root.

Black Wolf
12-15-2013, 10:09 PM
It is. The Arbereshe connection leaves me wondering if my ancestors were Calabrian Greeks going all the way back to Magna Grecia, or if they were more recent arrivals to Italy (500 years ago at the latest, whether they were proper Greeks or Arvanites).

From Calabria or Sicily your paternal line?

Tacitus
12-15-2013, 10:12 PM
From Calabria or Sicily your paternal line?

Surname line is Calabrese, but my paternal grandmother is Sicilian.

Black Wolf
12-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Surname line is Calabrese, but my paternal grandmother is Sicilian.

Okay yes my surname also comes from Calabria. Pretty much all Calabrese people have some Greek ancestry and many also have Arbereshe/Albanian ancestry to some degree as well most likely.

Atlantic Islander
Origin: France.

Thought it was Romance, but apparently it's Germanic. Whatever.

Smaug
Germanic and Celto-Romance.

Oh yes, Anglo-Saxon and Italian of Celtic root.

Veneda
12-17-2013, 12:08 AM
I bear Polish historical surname

PolishAmerican190
12-17-2013, 12:23 AM
I bear Polish historical surname

Is it slachta origins?

Veneda
12-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Is it szlachta origins?

Yes

Mazik
12-17-2013, 12:28 AM
The surname of my mother is also Germanic, it's Andersson (from her paternal great grandfather Anders Nilsson). Anders father had the surname Sorsén though. Which was a Saami surname.

I can add that "Sors" is a Swedified version of the Saami word "Suorsá" which means "duck" in English. The "én"-ending was to make the surname having a French touch. It was common on the 18th century for the bourgeois in Sweden to use French endings on given surnames. The first man who took the name was a Saami catechist in southern Lapland, he traveled around to spread Christianity to Saami families.

Carlito's Way
12-17-2013, 12:29 AM
north italian

PolishAmerican190
12-17-2013, 12:30 AM
[QUOTE=Veneda;2203123]Yes[/QUOTE

So I should be addressing you as your highness? :) being that I am only a chlop

Stefan_Dusan
12-17-2013, 12:32 AM
Progovac was a name of a village in Kosovo. It turned into Prugovac, and then Prugoc. So In our name is a piece of history of Kosovo that only lives with the family. We're not sure if the village was named after us or if we after the village, but family history says we were first to settle in the village in 1292. The founder was "Vukosav" which means "All Wolf" and was given because a dog obeys, but a wolf doesn't. Family will still use this Vukosav name, and sometimes give them even 4 names as result (first, father's name, vukosav, official last name). We also have habit of addressing each man with status in family as wolf.

Going back to Progovac, it's some slavic version of a Greek name. Most likely Progon which means ancestor, the n was dropped and slavic vac added. Another possibility is it's an old greek stem for "animal husbandry" literally means to scare sheep. Our family raised a lot of lamb/sheep. We even have some of the oldest customs in the region with lamb/sheep. When we slaughter a sheep/lamb we drink the blood raw with spices and rakija.

Veneda
12-17-2013, 10:31 PM
So I should be addressing you as your highness? :) being that I am only a chlop

No, you should't

Tropico
12-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Acevedo - This Spanish surname of ACEVEDO was a topographic name for someone who lived in a place overgrown with holly-bushes, originally derived from the Old Spanish word AZEVO (holly) and rendered in early documents in the Latin ACRIFOLIUM.
Ortiz - Ortiz (pronounced: [orˈtiθ]) is a surname of both Spanish and Basque origin.

Carlito's Way
12-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Acevedo - This Spanish surname of ACEVEDO was a topographic name for someone who lived in a place overgrown with holly-bushes, originally derived from the Old Spanish word AZEVO (holly) and rendered in early documents in the Latin ACRIFOLIUM.
Ortiz - Ortiz (pronounced: [orˈtiθ]) is a surname of both Spanish and Basque origin.

Ortiz seems to be very common among Puerto Ricans huh? haha

SardiniaAtlantis
12-17-2013, 10:45 PM
I put down other on accident I replied hastily and missed the Romance option... anyway it is Logudorese dialect.

Tropico
12-17-2013, 10:51 PM
Ortiz seems to be very common among Puerto Ricans huh? haha

Haha Its a pretty name I guess.

Brighton
12-17-2013, 11:03 PM
Paternal:

It's Galician.

It's more common in Galicia than most surnames.

It's also relatively more common in Asturias according to what I read.

It's not common overall. It's not among the 150 most common surnames in any single province.

Maternal:

It's Castillian.

It's more common in Segovia and Soria (Northern-central Spain).

It makes sense since this part of my family was actually from San Esteban de Miño, a tiny town in Soria.

It's among the 150 most common surnames only in Segovia and Soria.

---

Regarding my British ancestry, the surname is most common in Merseyside, Greater Manchester, West and South Yorkshire.

It's not common at all overall.

PolishAmerican190
12-17-2013, 11:11 PM
No, you should't

That's cool Veneda rolls off the tongue easier!

Illancha
12-17-2013, 11:17 PM
My surname is unslavicised Chechen. It is the singular form of the name of my clan which in turn is derived from the name of our traditional mountain.

Argentano
12-17-2013, 11:23 PM
More common places for my surnames

paternal grand father : Sicilia and Calabria
paternal grand mother: Calabria

Maternal grand father: Lombardia
Maternal grand mother:Abruzzo

curupira
12-17-2013, 11:26 PM
The family name I carry from my maternal side is exclusively Portuguese. It comes after a Portuguese immigrant to Brazil who settled here in the XVIII century. He is buried on this chapel (people used to be buried on chapels here at that time):

http://i42.tinypic.com/23t1mqp.jpg

Veneda
12-18-2013, 12:32 AM

PolishAmerican190
12-19-2013, 12:42 AM

To be noble is just as good as being a noble except for the financial benefits of the latter

Krampus
12-19-2013, 01:08 AM
The origins of my surname is Communism :/

omnispo
12-20-2013, 06:58 PM
The origin of my Celtic surname (Broderick from dreamer in Gaelic as Bruadaraiche) is supposedly, originally, of Viking origin
I would know more but the King Richard bones discovery has held up the lab results of the Viking surname Y DNA project in southern Ireland.
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Corca_Laidhe/
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/03/world/europe/richard-iii-search-announcement/

Lurker
12-20-2013, 06:59 PM
One of my surnames (Diniz) comes from the Greek god Dyonisius, god of wine and partying.

omnispo
12-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Dangit I pressed the thumbs down when I meant to press up. Dionysus help me change it...

Wait that wasn't me... Phew

Stimpy
12-21-2013, 01:06 PM
I have a regular patronymic nordic -son name. That was like for most Swedes frozen in 1901 when the Swedish state decided you couldn't use the traditional patronymic naming system anymore and everyone had to have a set family name that was passed down to the next generation.
It's pretty rare though and it's not my username.

Leo Iscariot
12-22-2013, 10:39 AM
My paternal surname is Romance, though it's that of a Christian saint.

My maternal surname is Germanic.

paksaltopam
12-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Germanic? It comes from Denmark.

Brighton
12-25-2013, 04:35 PM
The origins of my surname is Communism :/

:lol: That's so sad

LeoMessi
12-31-2013, 12:55 AM
Hello, guys.

Would you like some information.
You know how I can find out where my surname comes from?
I know which is originated from Italy. How do I know which region of Italy it comes from?

Myth
01-01-2014, 04:19 AM
My surname is of Hebrew origin from Aaron hakohen

Caismeachd
01-01-2014, 04:21 AM
my surname origin is gaelic.

Shiels
03-07-2014, 06:37 AM
My surname, Skiles, was Anglicised to its current form in colonial America. However, it was originally Shiels.

Shiels is a Scots version of an Old Norse word.

Shiels is now most common in Northern Ireland, while Skiles is still most common in the United States.

Scots and Old Norse are Germanic languages, but in Shiels there is also a marked possibility for a Norse-Gael origin or influence. For example, Shiels can be found in place names such as in the Scottish-Gaelic Highlands areas Loch and Glen Shiels, and in the Scottish Borders area burgh of Galashiels which apparently refers to Gaelic shiels (shiels, referring to shepherds' huts).

Skiles and Shiels are probably best summarized as Scoto-Norse or Scotch-Irish, depending on one's individual family line. Therefore, it is probably best to include Celtic and Germanic when discussing it's etymology.

sonofthedutch
03-10-2014, 08:16 AM
My surname is Symons. It can possibly be Anglo-norman, Celtic and Scandinavian. The celtic origin comes from it being common in both Cornwall and Devon, tho i do not match any Symons men from that area. The spelling is also different from the Celtic variants. Some possibly state that it came from the Holy Land after the Crusades, which i have no links to. It is also said to come from the Scandinavian Sigmund. There is also people with the symons, simons, simmons, simonds, symmonds, symonds surname all over Western and Northern Europe.

My other three family names come from the Netherlands. They are strongly Germanic.

Peyrol
03-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Hello, guys.

Would you like some information.
You know how I can find out where my surname comes from?
I know which is originated from Italy. How do I know which region of Italy it comes from?

Send me a PM with the surname

jlusk99
06-26-2014, 12:29 AM
My grandmother's maiden name was Aguillard. This is a rare name only found in Louisiana as far as I'm know. Her great great grandfather emigrated to Louisiana (possibly via Cuba) from the Canary Islands. The original name from as far as we can tell was Aguilar, but evidently is was 'Gallicized' by the predominant French community in Louisiana and most probably by the local diocese. Most of these people married into French families and were absorbed into the Creole population. The Aguilar married a French woman named Guerin.

jlusk99
06-26-2014, 12:35 AM
My last name Lusk is a relatively rare name. We know our ancestor came to America from North Ireland, supposedly originally from Scotland. The name is found in England, Scotland, and Ireland. There is a town near Dublin named Lusk. There are several theories as to the origin of the name. One theory is that there was a Norman conqueror who took the name after the River Usk in England, as Le Usk, or L'usk, eventually Lusk. Others insist there are Slavic origins to the name. Whatever the case it does not sound like a typical Scottish name.

jlusk99
06-26-2014, 12:37 AM
Don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but I don't understand why people explain where their name comes from and how it's rare, but then don't post the name. Sort of defeats the point, no?

Reith
12-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Germanic...

StormBringer
12-03-2014, 01:38 PM
[first name of a patrilineal ancestor who lived in mid 19th century] + [ić].
Now, his first name was a Serbian adaptation of a Greek adaptation of an originally Jewish name.

So, I'm uncertain what to tick xD

Trogdor
12-06-2014, 12:36 AM
I think I have a common South Italian surname. That is, most of the people I found with my surname were Southern Italians particularly from Sicily or Campania. However some websites claim my surname originated in the 'Papal States' so I don't know exactly.

StonyArabia
12-06-2014, 12:38 AM
My surname is actually of Sycthian-Kavkazian origin, because that's what my paternal side, my mother's surname is a tribal name of a very well known Arabian tribe.

Itarildë
12-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Mine "Olde English" or Anglo-Saxon. Ends on "son".

Smaug
12-06-2014, 12:53 AM
Mine "Olde English" or Anglo-Saxon. Ends on "son".

Same here, but mine ends with "ton".

Germaniac
12-06-2014, 12:53 AM
Mine is the name of the medieval castle my family held, with the prefix "von". With no use nowadays though. The castle is in Franconia BTW.

Galad
12-06-2014, 01:07 AM
Anglicized Irish, not uncommon although everyone I've met with it was related to me, so maybe I just have a big family.

Longbowman
12-06-2014, 01:20 AM
The most German sounding name ever. Etymology uncertain, possibly 'council of [a certain village, now town, that I won't mention here].'

Dandelion
12-06-2014, 01:22 AM
It's just a boring Germanic patronym and a deformed one of which many variants exist. Plebs name which I proudly wear. ;)

The last syllable of a first name with an -s added as a suffix in other words. My version also has an altered diphthong to boot.

Trogdor
12-06-2014, 01:23 AM
I forgot to add, my mother's surname is interesting because it supposedly denotes having ancestry from Albania (Arbereshe), which is possible considering Apulia is right across from Albania.

Dani Cutie
12-06-2014, 01:53 AM
From Lugo,Galaecia.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b1/Lugo-loc.svg/266px-Lugo-loc.svg.png

JohnSmith
12-06-2014, 02:02 AM
I have some that are Romantic and Germanic. I consider myself a mix of both.

Dani Cutie
12-06-2014, 02:06 AM
The other is from Asturias.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/Localizaci%C3%B3n_de_Asturias.svg/240px-Localizaci%C3%B3n_de_Asturias.svg.png