PDA

View Full Version : How common is the italian-irish ethnic mix in New England?

Peyrol
05-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Just a curiosity.

xajapa
05-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Quite common. I don't reside in that part of the US, but I an familiar with the demographics. Cities like Boston have plenty of persons of Irish and Italian ancestry. Even cities like Providence (Rhode Island) and New Haven (Connecticut) have a good deal of both: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England#Demographics.
Actually, in many American cities, especially in the northeast, the Italians and Irish mixed, as they lived in the same neighborhoods and often shared the same church.

Peyrol
05-06-2012, 01:06 PM
So, was a cultural/religious motivation?

Great Dane
05-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Catholics are very likely to marry other Catholics. So Irish-Italian is a common mix in New England but so is French Canadian with Irish or Italian. Many Catholics in Iowa and Minnesota are a mix of 2 or more of German, Irish, Pole, Czech and Slovak. Italian and Hispanic is also common in parts of the United States.

Peyrol
05-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Catholics are very likely to marry other Catholics. So Irish-Italian is a common mix in New England but so is French Canadian with Irish or Italian. Many Catholics in Iowa and Minnesota are a mix of 2 or more of German, Irish, Pole, Czech and Slovak. Italian and Hispanic is also common in parts of the United States.

I think that in NYC or in California is a very common mix.

iNird
05-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Italian and Hispanic isn't that common. Many Italian Americans still hold racist views.

Italian and Jewish is more common than you think btw.

Peyrol
05-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Italian and Hispanic isn't that common. Many Italian Americans still hold racist views.

Italian and Jewish is more common than you think btw.

When i was in Staten Island, summer 2006, i remember that italian-puertorican or italian-white ispanic (Argentine, Cuban, etc) was a very common mix.

iNird
05-06-2012, 03:36 PM
When i was in Staten Island, summer 2006, i remember that italian-puertorican or italian-white ispanic (Argentine, Cuban, etc) was a very common mix.

Could be, I'm not from that shithole (no offense but it is stereotyped as a garbage dump lol.)

I think the marriages between Irish and Italians is something of the past when both groups lived in the same community. The Italian Americans around my area tend to marry other Italians or other European groups.

Peyrol
05-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Could be, I'm not from that shithole (no offense but it is stereotyped as a garbage dump lol.)

I think the marriages between Irish and Italians is something of the past when both groups lived in the same community. The Italian Americans around my area tend to marry other Italians or other European groups.

Neither i am, luckily.
NYC is a total shithole :laugh:

I heard that many itAms are very conservative and racists, BTW.

Sikeliot
05-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Italian-Latin American is only common in New York. Where I live, Italian Americans are more on the conservative side and tend to be a bit racist and wouldn't be with Puerto Ricans or Dominicans under any circumstance.

I see a lot of Irish-Italian mixes, and the next common one is Italian-Jewish.

SilverKnight
05-06-2012, 08:25 PM
I have to say pretty common indeed.

Italian-Latin American is only common in New York. Where I live, Italian Americans are more on the conservative side and tend to be a bit racist and wouldn't be with Puerto Ricans or Dominicans under any circumstance.

I see a lot of Irish-Italian mixes, and the next common one is Italian-Jewish.

Here in south-central and eastern PA is totally the opposite.

Sikeliot
05-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Where I live it's Italian-Irish or Italian-Jewish. The Italians here do not race-mix.

ricko0812
05-06-2012, 09:39 PM
there is a couple italian families here where i live and they all married other italians and they are very proud about it.

Peyrol
05-06-2012, 10:27 PM
I have to say pretty common indeed.

Here in south-central and eastern PA is totally the opposite.

Pennys. Italians are liberals?

there is a couple italian families here where i live and they all married other italians and they are very proud about it.

Wow, never heard of italians in Kentucky....are they of southern/mediterranean descents or of northern/alpine one?

ricko0812
05-06-2012, 10:30 PM

Wow, never heard of italians in Kentucky....are they of southern/mediterranean descents or of northern/alpine one?

Im not sure, but it is very rare to see itailans here but the couple of famiies that moved here was due to a italian company that came here.

Siberyak
05-06-2012, 10:34 PM
italian americans can be found in every state.

SilverKnight
05-06-2012, 10:35 PM

Some are, but you can also find those who are extremely conservative as well, but it doesn't necessarily mean the liberal ones mix with non-whites all the time.

My next door neighbor is Italian American from Philly, liberal, but never race mixed only had two wives, one Italian and another German one, he's single now with two kids from each marriage. Most Italians I seeing in the big city mix usually with Puerto Ricans and sometimes other hispanics, it's rare in smaller towns like mines.

Sikeliot
05-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Italians generally in the US marry other Catholics. Here, Lebanese Catholics often end up with Italian and Portuguese Americans, as do the Irish. It's all about the religion usually.

Peyrol
05-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Im not sure, but it is very rare to see itailans here but the couple of famiies that moved here was due to a italian company that came here.

90% of italian american are of southern or islander descents (usually we northerners went in Argentina, Brasil, Uruguay, Mexico or Chile), so probabily they're southerners.

Great Dane
05-07-2012, 12:06 AM

Many persons on the east coast of Florida are from the Northeast. New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania. Many are Italian and Italian plus Puerto Rican, Colombian or Cuban is not uncommon. Usually the Hispanic partner is more European looking then the typical Hispanic. There are also plenty of Jews in Florida and I'd guess at least half of them marry non-Jews including Italians.

Peyrol
05-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Many persons on the east coast of Florida are from the Northeast. New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania. Many are Italian and Italian plus Puerto Rican, Colombian or Cuban is not uncommon. Usually the Hispanic partner is more European looking then the typical Hispanic. There are also plenty of Jews in Florida and I'd guess at least half of them marry non-Jews including Italians.

Is very interesting see how itAms, which many years ago voted heavy Democrats, now are splix exactly 50/50 with many politicians in both the parties (Nancy Pelosi, Rick Santorum, Rudy Giuliani, etc).

Great Dane
05-08-2012, 11:24 PM
The Democrats have become the party of the non-whites. The Republicans are the defacto white party but they are reluctant to exploit that advantage.

Wherever you find large numbers of minorities the whites are likely to vote Republican. It is in nearly all-white areas, like many parts of Iowa, that you still find whites voting for the Democrats.