Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Croatians Slavic or Germanic?

Banned
    Last Online
    01-15-2015 @ 01:39 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    SerboCroatian
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    William L. Pierce
    Religion
    Cosmotheism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 121

1 Not allowed!

Default Are Croatians Slavic or Germanic?

Hello all, I have a question. Not sure if this is the correct sub forum, but here it goes. I would like to know if Croatian people are Slavic or Germanic. I read here :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untermensch

in the foot notes #26 it says : "According to Nazi policy the Croats were classified as more "Germanic than Slavic"; this was supported by the Croatia's fascist dictator Ante Pavelić, who maintained that the Croatians were descendants of the ancient Goths and "had the Pan-Slav idea forced upon them as something artificial".
    Rich, Norman (1974). Hitler's War Aims: the Establishment of the New Order, "

And also here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usta%C5%A1e

"The Ustaše accepted that Croats are part of the Dinaric race,[32] but rejected that Croats are primarily Slavic, claiming they are primarily descended from Germanic roots with the Goths."

That same article says this: "The Ustaše recognized both Roman Catholicism and Islam as the national religions of the Croatian people but initially rejected Orthodox Christianity as being incompatible with their objectives."

which is kind of a different point but I just found it interesting that the Ustase were allied with Bosniak Muslims at the time and considered the Bosniaks to be pure blood Croats. I didn't know this before. I thought the Croats and Bosniaks were not allies.

Also I read somewhere that Himmler considered Croats to be Germanic. So what's the deal?

Personally I am not sure what to think. Before this I was reading a book about Nikola Tesla called "Wizard", and in the first chapter it said that Serbs and Croats were all the same people, they are all Illyrians. I never heard that term before reading that, but according to the book Telsa himself said somewhere that his dream was to one day unite the Serbian and Croatian people and form one country. Not sure if he was talking about Yugoslavia, but it seemed to suggest that the only difference between Serbs and Croats was religion. Serbs are Orthodox, and Croats are Catholics. It also said that all Slavs speak the same language, which is true to some extent because I see a lot of similarities between Serbo-Croatian, Polish, Russian, Romanian, etc. I think when u know one Slavic language it isn't too hard to learn another. The difference seems to be in dialect.. and in some cases the alphabet.

I kind of agree with that to some extent but I am not sure. According to the stuff I've read about the Ustase their policy was to convert a third of the Serbs to Catholocism, and it seems to me that the only reason they persecuted Serbs was because of religious differences.

Being part Croatian and Part Serbian. I don't quite understand the difference myself. I don't understand the politics of that region, and I don't know why Croatia declared independence from the Serbs in the 90s. I grew up during the 80's when Yugoslavia was one country and I found the break up of that country a little confusing. The only major difference I found was the presence of Islam in Bosnia, but according to these World War 2 articles I've been reading Croats and Bosniaks seemed to get along. And I'm sure Serbs also got along with Bosniaks to some degree because there are so many Serbian enclaves in Bosnia.

So can someone explain if there are any racial differences between Serbs and Croats, and if Croats are Germanic or Slavic. I also am aware that Croats speak a Slavic language so that doesn't support the case that they are Germanic but still the question persists.

Also i don't know why Croats persecuted Serbs during world war 2. I know most Serbs were Partisans and the Croats where pro-Hitler, so I think that was the main reason, I don't think it had anything to do with race. Is my assumption wrong?

Last Online
    03-03-2019 @ 05:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Sao Paulo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,371
    Given: 2,411

8 Not allowed!

Germanic and Slavic are in fact linguistic terms!So Croatians are slavic,not germanic.It's a fact!

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    Midwestern Trash
    Ancestry
    German, Danish, Litvin Polish
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA
    N1b1b, H3(P)
    Hero
    The Christ
    Religion
    Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,486
    Given: 6,007

1 Not allowed!

Linguistically Slavic...if I had to guess genetically, more pre-Slavic with minor Slavic input. Not sure if any real Germanic ancestry. I dunno.
    "3:16 For YHWH so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.."

#GodWins

Banned
    Last Online
    01-15-2015 @ 01:39 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    SerboCroatian
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    William L. Pierce
    Religion
    Cosmotheism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 121

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by LESM View Post
    Germanic and Slavic are in fact linguistic terms!So Croatians are slavic,not germanic.It's a fact!
    Hmm that is a good point. Yeah I guess linguistically then they would be classified as Slavs. But then Racially What are the sub categories of European people? Aren't Germanic and Slavic ethnic sub categories of Europeans as well?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    02-12-2023 @ 12:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 684
    Given: 231

2 Not allowed!

besides slovenians, croats are "the most western looking" south slavs to me.

Last Online
    03-03-2019 @ 05:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Sao Paulo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,371
    Given: 2,411

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by FormerYugoslavia View Post
    Hmm that is a good point. Yeah I guess linguistically then they would be classified as Slavs. But then Racially What are the sub categories? Aren't Germanic and Slavic ethnic sub categories of Europeans as well?
    I do not think that Slavic and Germanic can be considered ethnic sub categories!The portuguese for example are a latin people,but they do not descend primarily from the romans,because romans were only a rulling elite in Lusitania and didn't mix much with the locals,these locals are the ancestors of the modern portuguese,not the romans,but the portuguese language is latin language,wich is result of roman presence.An italian from Lazio probably descends from Romans yet they are not more latin than a portuguese due to their ancestry!That's the reason why slavic,germanic and latin are purely linguistic terms!

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-21-2020 @ 03:10 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    --
    Country
    Singapore
    Region
    Virginia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,862
    Given: 1,864

1 Not allowed!

Turkish

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-21-2020 @ 03:10 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    --
    Ethnicity
    --
    Country
    Singapore
    Region
    Virginia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,862
    Given: 1,864

1 Not allowed!

In all seriousness, Slavic. Croatian is a South Slavic language.

Last Online
    01-30-2021 @ 01:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,131
    Given: 4,234

1 Not allowed!

Is their language part of the Germanic or Slavic languages? The answer is Slavic.

Last Online
    09-26-2015 @ 12:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic, Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    Reactionary
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 778