Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: How common is red hair in your ethnicity?

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Indo-Mestizo
    Ethnicity
    New World
    Ancestry
    Mesoamerica, Iberian peninsula, American southwest
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    Taxonomy
    Denisovan
    Politics
    Unconventional
    Religion
    None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 939
    Given: 343

0 Not allowed!

non-existent

By the order of the Peaky Blinders
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 04:06 PM
    Ethnicity
    Tramps and Thieves
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Politics
    Beautifully Divisive and Anti-White Nationalist
    Hero
    The British Royals, House of Windsor
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,393
    Given: 59,182

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Milkaner View Post
    They both have naturally near white blond hair. It is a custom for the hair of albinos to be dyed with henna in parts of South Asia and this may carry over to Romani in Europe.
    Romani are thousand years out of india, they dont even have any memory of being in india, i doubt they would carry and know even such a tradition. But it might be possible, i really dont know so i cannot with certainity claim it. Those are speculations, but i would find it very unusual and very interesting if romani are aware of that tradition and carry it. Romani were not even aware they are from india until europeans found out and told them so. When they arrived to europe they claimed to be from "little egypt" where they resided before or on the island of crete.
    Last edited by Mortimer; 02-05-2024 at 05:49 AM.
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    Okay, i had sexual affairs with some foreigners, some were not white. Would you kill me? Dont you think its totally insane?

"Preta, Preta, Pretinha . . ." Jingle Bell's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:46 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin-American, Romance.
    Ethnicity
    7/8 Colonial Baiano, 1/8 Portuguese.
    Ancestry
    (BR) Recôncavo & Agreste (PT) Aveiro & Ílhavo.
    Country
    Brazil
    Y-DNA
    E-L515.
    mtDNA
    L2c4.
    Taxonomy
    Mulatto (Med + Sudanid).
    Hero
    Novos Baianos.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,422
    Given: 4,234

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DraviXi99 View Post
    hm,what does quinhetist means,i think it means quinhetista right,so if you refer to colonizers i think they were atlantid but that could have been other phenos back then too i guess
    Quinhentist were the Portugueses Pos Reconquista (Sec XVI), Portugal still had a numerous Jewish/Morisco population when the colonization started, Portugal would just be homogenous Christian/Cristiano Viejo by the end of Sec XVII or XVIII with the explusion of Jews/Conversos to Brazil, Ottoman Empire and North Africa
    More Details about my Bahian & Portuguese ancestry:
    Spoiler!

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    E-M34
    Taxonomy
    CM + Alpinid + Orientalid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,080
    Given: 1,989

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    Romani are thousand years out of india, they dont even have any memory of being in india, i doubt they would carry and know even such a tradition. But it might be possible, i really dont know so i cannot with certainity claim it. Those are speculations, but i would find it very unusual and very interesting if romani are aware of that tradition and carry it. Romani were not even aware they are from india until europeans found out and told them so. When they arrived to europe they claimed to be from "little egypt" where they resided before or on the island of crete.
    I found this:
    “ The origins of the Roma, as many know, are subject to vociferous debate, but it seems likely that they originated in India, migrating westward through Persia in the early Middle Ages. By the 1600s they had spread throughout Europe, although they frequently faced persecution and expulsion.

Could they have brought henna with them from India? It's possible, but unlikely, since (as I explore in this post and this one) henna did not become commonly used in India until the very late Middle Ages, centuries after we believe the Roma left. Could they have picked up henna in Persia? It's certainly possible, although we lack any historical documentation. It's more likely, in my opinion, that the use of henna was a practice that developed in the Ottoman Empire; my reasons will become clear below.

I haven't been able to find records of Romani henna use prior to the 20th century, although I suspect this is largely due to the paucity of (available) sources combined with my own unfamiliarity with Romani Studies. By the 1900s, though, it appears that henna was used among Roma communities in south-east Europe and the Balkans as a regular cosmetic for hair, nails, and skin, as well as for weddings and celebrations. For example, Robert Scott Macfie recorded in 1913 that Roma women in Athens dyed their hair and nails with henna (1913: 43), and Juliette de Baïracli Levy described in the early 50s how Elif, a Roma girl in Turkey, "stained the palms of her hands and soles of her feet red with henna... in honour of my parting visit" (1952: 13). Xoraxane (Muslim Roma) in Bulgaria still henna their hands for the end of Ramadan, known as Sheker Bayram, "The Festival of Sweets" (Marushiakova 1997: 140; Kjučukov 1998: 60).
    http://eshkolhakofer.blogspot.com/20...-roma.html?m=1

Henna dyeing of the body was a documented practice among Balkan Romani even if it’s origin is uncertain. Maybe the custom reached them from Turkey instead of South Asia directly.

Last Online
    02-19-2024 @ 08:29 PM
    Ethnicity
    Yaksha
    Country
    India
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 60

1 Not allowed!

I found this:

Henna dyeing of the body was a documented practice among Balkan Romani even if it’s origin is uncertain. Maybe the custom reached them from Turkey instead of South Asia directly.
    Have came across enough Muslims (usually 50+ yrs) in India with henna applied on beard that it seem like a tradition among them (or may be certain sect idk) .

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Tramps and Thieves
    Ancestry
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Politics
    Hero
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I found this:

Very interesting, it is a shame me as romani didnt know that.

Okay, i had sexual affairs with some foreigners, some were not white. Would you kill me? Dont you think its totally insane?

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Tramps and Thieves
    Ancestry
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Politics
    Hero
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarin View Post
    Have came across enough Muslims (usually 50+ yrs) in India with henna applied on beard that it seem like a tradition among them (or may be certain sect idk) .
    I once heard the prophet had a red beard, but some claim it was dyed with henna.

Last Online
    Today @ 06:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mostly Euro Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Ancestry
    Mostly Spanish, some Italian, some Amerindian (6-7%), some minor SSA (4-5%)
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    J-M267
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Either Alpinized North Atlantid or Brunn
    Politics
    Right Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,568
    Given: 37,139

1 Not allowed!

Among Spaniards, not very common, but you can come across with some few Spanish redheads every once in a while.
    My Updated 23andme Results (2021)
    My Updated AncestryDNA Results (2022)
    My Global25 Coordinates (2020)
    An Epic Thread about me opened by Profield
    Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering
    Quote Originally Posted by aherne
    You don't pass in Europe. Amerindian admixture is evident (castizo or harnizo)...

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 06:51 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    West Slavic
    Ancestry
    Eastern Moravian & Western Slovak
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Region
    Moravia-Silesia
    Taxonomy
    Neo-Danubian
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,127
    Given: 359

1 Not allowed!

I've met a small handful of any kind of Slavic people with red hair, mostly West and East Slavic. I can recall one Czech, one Pole, and one Russian. No South Slavic people. It's so rare you'd remember the individuals who have it. Plenty of red beards in my family though for some reason... with blonde or medium brown hair.
    It's Modelo Negra time

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Latin, Han
    Ethnicity
    Italian, 1/4 Chinese
    Ancestry
    Italian, an 1/8th Swiss German, a bit of Croatian, a bit of English, a bit of Spanish and a 1/4 Han
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    J L25
    mtDNA
    H20a
    Taxonomy
    Alpine Med
    Politics
    Conservative
    Hero
    Giuseppe Garibaldi
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,883
    Given: 3,137

0 Not allowed!

Russki asked me to post details regarding the difference between Ethnic Russians and native Volga-Ural populations overall in rufosity. Although I'm not Russian I agreed to post this on his behalf.

In 1921 the American Relief Administration which was active in the Soviet Tatar Republic decided to carry out a survey of the physical development of children of different nationalities living in the region in Kazan and county towns. In addition to the main focus of weight and sitting height to determine malnutrition, other observations including hair and eye color using Fischer and Martin scales were executed for a certain number of the surveyed children. For hair color 595 ethnic Russian schoolchildren, 287 Jewish schoochildren, and 280 Kazan Tatar schoolchildren were observed. The Jewish and Kazan Tatar schoochildren were both found the have about twice the proportion of clear red Fischer #1-3 (1.0% and 1.1% respectively) as the ethnic Russians (0.5%). So it is relatively rare among Russians as children.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=t_...%25%22&f=false

The other later survey including ethnic Russians in the Volga-Ural region executed by Estonian anthropologist Karin Mark involving 558 adults for red hair found 0.7% clear red. If you exclude the three of four cases occurring in Igra rural Udmurtia likely of partial Udmurt ancestry (with the group being vastly more rufous than ethnic Russians) the percentage of clear red in adults is closer to 0.2%. Dr. Victor Kretzer found this same percentage of distinctive red among 500 ethnic Russians from Latgale, so it it likely fairly typical for adult Russians in general. 0.2% Fischer #1-3 is below the majority of non-Russian Volga-Ural ethnic groups based on Mark's work, so it is the region overall and not just specific groups which are relatively rufous in a Russian context.
    https://dspace.ut.ee/items/b83366fa-...b-393e0485d5a2

Russki made a thread last summer about Udmurts having elevated Yamnaya admixture relative to typical Eastern Europeans and Baltic genetic drift reducing rufosity in the region:
    https://www.theapricity.com/forum/sh...1-4-East-Asian

I assume he suspects that this possibility is not limited to Udmurts and shared to a certain degree between populations with native Volga-Ural ancestry before Russian settlement.
    Hey, it's been a while since I've posted on this thread. But would you say this map is accurate regarding red hair in the UK? (Not the percentage of red heads, but MC1R carriers.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	261thgmxnep91.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	126871

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread Information