Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 2

1 Not allowed!

This is interesting. I stayed in Norway for 2 years, and the people there are relatively slim, likely due to their lifestyle and diet. Their food tends to be on the bland side (which I happen to like), and work seems relaxed. What's also interesting is the inclusion of Japan in the graphic. I love Japanese food, but their lifestyle is the opposite of that in Norway, where almost all people work overtime all the time.

Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Ethnicity
    French
    Country
    France
    Taxonomy
    Med + something other ? Enlighten me in Personal Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 51

1 Not allowed!

I'm surprized by the high number of Russian obese women. Russia also has the bigger gap between men and women.
    Even the lower percentages (18-20 %) are still high : one person out of 5 with a BMI over 30, which means 97-98 kilos for 1.80 m.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,442
    Given: 43,925

0 Not allowed!

Well done UK!

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Ethnicity
    Solutrean
    Country
    Monaco
    Region
    Lyon
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z367
    mtDNA
    H1c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,675
    Given: 5,847

0 Not allowed!

First time i visited England i thought people were fat and that was more than 15 years ago, im sure we ve caught up on the bad murican food habits but that's nothing in comparison to the US. Landwhales everywhere and i bet if "morbidly obese" was another category they would win hands down too (lot more rare in Europe i would say even UK).

Not too surprised about Turkey either taking the cake, in Europe almost all of them look some sort of chubby at least. I think NA would be up there but they are either skinny asf or fat asf, it's strange.

Companhia dos Leőes da Beira
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24,334
    Given: 16,989

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petalpusher View Post
    First time i visited England i thought people were fat and that was more than 15 years ago, im sure we ve caught up on the bad murican food habits but that's nothing in comparison to the US. Landwhales everywhere and i bet if "morbidly obese" was another category they would win hands down too (lot more rare in Europe i would say even UK).

Not too surprised about Turkey either taking the cake, in Europe almost all of them look some sort of chubby at least. I think NA would be up there but they are either skinny asf or fat asf, it's strange.
    You forgot to mention women of Sub-Saharan African descent, who, from what I've seen, have by far the greatest propensity for obesity. I'm pretty sure that at least in Portugal they have the highest rates of obesity, regardless of age group.

I think that obesity levels in Africa will follow or even surpass those in the West in the coming decades, as living conditions improve. There is already a clear trend in the more "stable" African countries.

YDNA: R1b-L21 > DF13 > S1051 > FGC17906 > FGC17907 > FGC17866

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas View Post
    You forgot to mention women of Sub-Saharan African descent, who, from what I've seen, have by far the greatest propensity for obesity. I'm pretty sure that at least in Portugal they have the highest rates of obesity, regardless of age group.

I think that obesity levels in Africa will follow or even surpass those in the West in the coming decades, as living conditions improve. There is already a clear trend in the more "stable" African countries.

Sure, but even White Americans are more obese than most European groups, aren't they? As are many Hispanics too.

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petalpusher View Post

Some time ago I posted a thread with a map that, much to my surprise, said that the country in Europe with the most McDonalds' restaurants was actually France!

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    Sure, but even White Americans are more obese than most European groups, aren't they? As are many Hispanics too.
    Yes, but it doesn't change what I said about Afro-descendants, it's the same in the US.

How Does Obesity Affect African American Populations?

• African American women have the highest rates of obesity or being overweight compared to other groups in the United States. About 4 out of 5 African American women are overweight or obese.
    • In 2018, non-Hispanic blacks were 1.3 times more likely to be obese as compared to non-Hispanic whites.
    • In 2018, African American women were 50 percent more likely to be obese than non-Hispanic white women.
    • From 2015-2018, non-Hispanic black females were 2.3 times more likely to be overweight as compared to non-Hispanic white females.
    • People who are overweight are more likely to suffer from high blood pressure, high levels of blood fats, diabetes and LDL cholesterol – all risk factors for heart disease and stroke.
    • In 2018, African Americans were 20 percent less likely to engage in active physical activity as compared to non-Hispanic whites.

Source: https://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/obesi...ican-americans

"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas View Post
    Yes, but it doesn't change what I said about Afro-descendants, it's the same in the US.

How Does Obesity Affect African American Populations?

• African American women have the highest rates of obesity or being overweight compared to other groups in the United States. About 4 out of 5 African American women are overweight or obese.
    • In 2018, non-Hispanic blacks were 1.3 times more likely to be obese as compared to non-Hispanic whites.
    • In 2018, African American women were 50 percent more likely to be obese than non-Hispanic white women.
    • From 2015-2018, non-Hispanic black females were 2.3 times more likely to be overweight as compared to non-Hispanic white females.
    • People who are overweight are more likely to suffer from high blood pressure, high levels of blood fats, diabetes and LDL cholesterol – all risk factors for heart disease and stroke.
    • In 2018, African Americans were 20 percent less likely to engage in active physical activity as compared to non-Hispanic whites.

Source: https://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/obesi...ican-americans
    So judging by those figures, the gap between White and Black American men isn't as large as that between the women?

Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Country
    Portugal
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21
    mtDNA
    H15
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Carmen View Post
    So judging by those figures, the gap between White and Black American men isn't as large as that between the women?
    In men it's practically the same, a little lower than White Americans.

Increased obesity prevalence between the African American population and other racial groups was observed for women but not for men, with African American men having slightly lower levels of obesity than non-Hispanic White men (41.1% vs. 44.7%).

Source: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1002/oby.23640

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information