View Poll Results: Who looks more alike?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • White Americans and White Canadians

34 64.15%
  • White Argentinians and White Brazilians

5 9.43%
  • Both in equal measure

14 26.42%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Who looks more alike: White Americans and White Canadians or White Argentinians and White Brazilians

Last Online
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mostly Euro Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Ancestry
    Mostly Spanish, some Italian, some Amerindian (6-7%), some minor SSA (4-5%)
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    J-M267
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Either Alpinized North Atlantid or Brunn
    Politics
    Right Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,587
    Given: 37,188

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Most likely White Americans and Canadians. Same heritage. German, British, Irish mix. Argentinians are mostly Italian and Brazilians Iberian.
    Argentinian European ancestry is mostly Italian AND Spanish, not only Italian, lol
    My Updated 23andme Results (2021)
    My Updated AncestryDNA Results (2022)
    My Global25 Coordinates (2020)
    An Epic Thread about me opened by Profield
    Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering
    Quote Originally Posted by aherne
    You don't pass in Europe. Amerindian admixture is evident (castizo or harnizo)...

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    100% Northwest European and Flemish
    Ancestry
    From Flanders ( Koninkjrik België )
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    60% Borreby with strong 40% Keltic Nordid admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,208
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hangh View Post
    It is definitely not more Latin. Quebec is French-British mixed. Nowhere in Canada is as Latin as almost anywhere in US, full stop
    There are places in Canada that are extremely Latin ( in this case extremely French!). It is not everyone that’s British or Anglo-Saxon admixed in Quebec. Many Québécois can look pretty French.

Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    European Union
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 762

1 Not allowed!

Non-French White Canadians and White Americans have the same exact European components and probably in similar proportions. Don't exaggerate how British and Irish Canadians are. I voted Yanks and Canadians, but should have voted both in equal measure perhaps. Not much difference between white cariocas and argies, either.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    European Union
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrion View Post
    There are places in Canada that are extremely Latin ( in this case extremely French!). It is not everyone that’s British or Anglo-Saxon admixed in Quebec. Many Québécois can look pretty French.
    French Canadians have been studied by genealogists and geneticists and are overwhelmingly descended from French colonial settlers from the 17th century. Just 10.000 of them initially and some came in the 18th century too, but not too many. They are like on average 10% other European(British Isles,German and a little Italian too I think) from assimilated immigrants in Quebec, but vast majority of past European immigrants to Quebec in the past were assimilated to Anglophone minority in Quebec. They also have like 1-2 % Amerindian according to two different studies I've seen. They are quite French. Anglophone minority in Quebec used to be larger and majority in Montreal until late in the 20th century. It declined after early 70s Quebecois politicians made French sole official language of province.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 03:08 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    West Slavic
    Ancestry
    Eastern Moravian & Western Slovak
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Region
    Moravia-Silesia
    Taxonomy
    Neo-Danubian
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox
    Relationship Status
    Married parent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,250
    Given: 410

0 Not allowed!

White Americans are such a mixed bag.

In the South, you have mostly people like my husband who are entirely descended from the British Isles, with trace amounts of other Western European groups at most. I am talking like 1/8 German or Spanish (in his case Norwegian). Families living here since before the country was founded and pretty much only coming from that mixture.

In the North (and West), you have white people descended from every corner of Europe. For example there are not really many people in the South who are part Polish or part Greek without it being from people who moved here within the past century - virtually unheard of outside of big cities, which are not representative of the South culturally/ethnically anyway IMHO. In other parts of the country, you have significantly more Eastern and Southern European mixture. Midwestern people are largely German and Scandinavian. Southwest does have a lot more Mediterranean. Pacific Northwest has everything.

So it makes it difficult to say what a "white American" looks like, really.

I voted "both in equal measure", because as far as I'm aware, Brazilians and Argentinians have similar European elements floating around their countries. Although I do think they have a bit more common with each other than US and Canadians do, but not by enough to make me feel like I could ever tell a Canadian and American apart just by looks alone (unless the Canadian was ultra-French looking).
    It's Modelo Negra time

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    European Union
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Anglo-Canadians are in sizeable part descended from late 18th, 19th and early 20th century American migrants, which explains why Canadian English is so almost identical with American English, especially pronunciation,the accent etc. Canadians also have a good amount of German, Scandinavian, Polish ,Italian and other Euro ancestry like Americans. I think some of you exaggerate how non-British Isles White Americans are and how British Isles Canadians are. Canadians are probably just a little more British by blood.

Dinkum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Australian
    Ancestry
    English & Irish Midlands. Gaels, Anglo-Saxons & Britons.
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    Victoria
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10
    Politics
    Diversity is our greatest weakness
    Hero
    Those who made a better world
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,123
    Given: 6,661

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Straightman View Post
    Anglo-Canadians are in sizeable part descended from late 18th, 19th and early 20th century American migrants, which explains why Canadian English is so almost identical with American English, especially pronunciation,the accent etc. Canadians also have a good amount of German, Scandinavian, Polish ,Italian and other Euro ancestry like Americans. I think some of you exaggerate how non-British Isles White Americans are and how British Isles Canadians are. Canadians are probably just a little more British by blood.
    I agree. Canada's average AncestryDNA result from 2017:

It would look different now since the categories were refined and improved, but still, pretty mixed indeed. Not all that different from the US averages on 23andme. Only Atlantic Canada is overwhelmingly British Isles.
    Spoiler!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tropicalslavic View Post
    White Americans are such a mixed bag.

In the South, you have mostly people like my husband who are entirely descended from the British Isles, with trace amounts of other Western European groups at most. I am talking like 1/8 German or Spanish (in his case Norwegian). Families living here since before the country was founded and pretty much only coming from that mixture.

In the North (and West), you have white people descended from every corner of Europe. For example there are not really many people in the South who are part Polish or part Greek without it being from people who moved here within the past century - virtually unheard of outside of big cities, which are not representative of the South culturally/ethnically anyway IMHO. In other parts of the country, you have significantly more Eastern and Southern European mixture. Midwestern people are largely German and Scandinavian. Southwest does have a lot more Mediterranean. Pacific Northwest has everything.

So it makes it difficult to say what a "white American" looks like, really.

I voted "both in equal measure", because as far as I'm aware, Brazilians and Argentinians have similar European elements floating around their countries. Although I do think they have a bit more common with each other than US and Canadians do, but not by enough to make me feel like I could ever tell a Canadian and American apart just by looks alone (unless the Canadian was ultra-French looking).
    White Americans are pretty much very European as a whole (98.6% European by DNA). The most “Anglo-Saxon” states in America (per capita) are not in the Deep South as you said. These are the top 7 Anglo-Saxon states in the US :
    1) Utah (Midwestern)
    2) Maine (Northeastern)
    3) Idaho (Midwestern)
    4) Vermont (Northeastern)
    5) New Hampshire (Northeastern)
    6) Montana (Western)
    7) Oregon (Western)

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Creoda View Post
    I agree. Canada's average AncestryDNA result from 2017:

It would look different now since the categories were refined and improved, but still, pretty mixed indeed. Not all that different from the US averages on 23andme. Only Atlantic Canada is overwhelmingly British Isles.
    This is pretty misleading as you are looking at the entire Canadian nation. You should look more at specific groups.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    European Union
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrion View Post
    White Americans are pretty much very European as a whole (98.6% European by DNA). The most “Anglo-Saxon” states in America (per capita) are not in the Deep South as you said. These are the top 7 Anglo-Saxon states in the US :
    1) Utah (Midwestern)
    2) Maine (Northeastern)
    3) Idaho (Midwestern)
    4) Vermont (Northeastern)
    5) New Hampshire (Northeastern)
    6) Montana (Western)
    7) Oregon (Western)
    You are basing it on self reported ancestry in the US census, which is rubbish. It is well known English ancestry is highly unreported in their census. Of course Southern whites are the most English and British Isles(Scottish, Welsh, Scots-Irish and Irish too) descended Americans on average. And Utah and Idaho are Western, not Midwestern.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread Information