PDA

View Full Version : Latvian government falls over Riga supermarket disaster

Citizen
11-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Finally!!! Too bad it took 54 inncent peoples lives for his ultraliberal agenda to end.
Latvia's PM Valdis Dombrovskis has announced his resignation, and thereby the fall of his government, over the deadly collapse of a Riga supermarket.

He made the announcement at a meeting with President Andris Berzins.

"Considering the tragedy and all related circumstances... a new government is needed that has the clear support of parliament," Mr Dombrovskis told reporters.

At least 54 people died when the supermarket collapsed last Thursday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25120936

Kiyant
11-27-2013, 12:16 PM
First if it really was the fault of his government then good riddance but what will now happen in Latvia in the political scene?

Citizen
11-27-2013, 12:29 PM
First if it really was the fault of his government then good riddance but what will now happen in Latvia in the political scene?

Well I cant see how things can get even worse than they are now so this is a change for good. Maybe the opposition will take over.

Pure ja
11-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Well I cant see how things can get even worse than they are now so this is a change for good. Maybe the opposition will take over.

Of course it can get worse.
I just read that the real culprit apparatchiks and politicians in Riga government didn't want to resign, so Dombrovskis showed an example.
Needless to say, the Riga government is at least as bad as the government of Tallinn - dominated by russians.

Citizen
11-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Dombrovskis was a guy in whos time state granted 100 million $ debt to a metallurgy gigant Liepajas Metalurgs which went bankrupt and state had to pay all its debts just this year, not to mention its shareholders are some of the richest people in Latvia and don't speak a single word in Latvian. diring his time our oldest bank Krajbanka went bankrupt draining all depositor insurance fund empty, nobody was found responsible, the woman who led the bank/finance audition agency FKTK resigned and not all that much later found a new job in Bank of Latvia. The Russian con man and owner of the bank Antonov is still living in UK fine. One of Dombrovskis party members bought a car in Lithuania and paid money to intermediaries to avoid paying taxes to Latvia and still leads Unity fraction in parliament. Another guy went on a state visit to Kazahstan to promote business ties and didnt attend a single event, he had a nice vacation and sex with his GF he came with, all on gov. payroll. When he was forced to resign Dombrovskis created a new job for him in Latvian Railway. List like this goes on and on. He also initiated the process of removal of state institution that was suppose to oversee construction. He should have resigned a long time ago!

Pure ja
11-28-2013, 12:47 PM
He also initiated the process of removal of state institution that was suppose to oversee construction.

Was that state institution "removed" or not? And if it was removed, its tasks had to be given to other authorities.
Were those other authorities under the Riga jurisdiction, by any chance? Or was there a duplicate auditing both on the state level and on the local government level? Do you claim that the local government of Riga has no duties to oversee building quality?

Citizen
11-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Was that state institution "removed" or not? And if it was removed, its tasks had to be given to other authorities.
Were those other authorities under the Riga jurisdiction, by any chance? Or was there a duplicate auditing both on the state level and on the local government level? Do you claim that the local government of Riga has no duties to oversee building quality?

Its duties where given to a center that monitors unfair deals between companies, like price fixing, they have no people that inspect buildings.

Pure ja
11-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Its duties where given to a center that monitors unfair deals between companies, like price fixing, they have no people that inspect buildings.

That's funny, I was just reading news about the Riga Buildings Department, whose chief is Ingus Vircavs. He specifically mentions building inspectors.

http://www.postimees.ee/2613202/riia-ehitusamet-maxima-varingus-vois-pohjustada-hooletus

Again, there has been a similar case in Tallinn, where the bureaucrats of Tallinn gave a permit for the Solaris Cinema, which later had a mishap of internal ceiling collapse.

Citizen
11-28-2013, 03:29 PM
And your point is? I dont really blame him for the accident personally, I blame him for allowing certain LM shareholders basically steal from tax payers, because they receaved a state granted credit, paid millions in their own salaries and when the LM went bankrupt we as tax payers had to pick up the bill, again...
I was just pointing out that he drastically reduced any state responsabilities, thats like getting rid of state police and leave everything up to municipal police and say that its good optimization and reduction of function doubling.

Pure ja
11-28-2013, 05:56 PM
And your point is? I dont really blame him for the accident personally, I blame him for allowing certain LM shareholders basically steal from tax payers, because they receaved a state granted credit, paid millions in their own salaries and when the LM went bankrupt we as tax payers had to pick up the bill, again...
I was just pointing out that he drastically reduced any state responsabilities, thats like getting rid of state police and leave everything up to municipal police and say that its good optimization and reduction of function doubling.

I believe you are putting too much hopes on one man.
Rotation is necessary, he has resigned. You just have to hope that the next one is better, or at least not worse.

Citizen
11-28-2013, 06:35 PM
I believe you are putting too much hopes on one man.
Rotation is necessary, he has resigned. You just have to hope that the next one is better, or at least not worse.

He is not one man, the whole party is rotten. Im not saying he is alone to blame, hes just the face of it.

RussiaPrussia
04-11-2014, 05:19 PM
rofl and people blame Russia for corruption ? At least when we steal money we make sure everything is working and demand a higher budget, we would never cheap out on anything and risking human lives with faulty stuff.