PDA

View Full Version : Where did all these classification terms come from?

SupaThug
05-28-2015, 04:08 AM
I have always wondered.

Brianna
05-28-2015, 04:18 AM
I think Coon and his contemporaries were responsible for some of them. Others were invented on post-9/11 anthropology forums.

Sockorer
05-28-2015, 04:20 AM
Old anthropologists?

Iloko
05-28-2015, 04:22 AM
Maybe old anthro textbooks from the 1920s or something I think.

Modern anthropologists don't use such archaic terms anymore I've read. Old anthropologists didn't have access to the modern genetics technology we have today, so had to guess genetic distance solely based on superficial appearance alone. Although I believe modern anthropologists still measure skulls though and that can give an approximation of what race they are, but this method is not definite and only genetics can determine how closely different groups are related.

FeederOfRavens
05-28-2015, 04:37 AM
I came up with them a few months ago.

Wadaad
05-28-2015, 04:48 AM
Coon
Lundman
Deniker
Biasutti
---
Benchmarkoid/Genericoid/Peripheroid etc are mine.

Arbeiter
05-28-2015, 04:49 AM
Maybe old anthro textbooks from the 1920s or something I think.

Modern anthropologists don't use such archaic terms anymore I've read. Old anthropologists didn't have access to the modern genetics technology we have today, so had to guess genetic distance solely based on superficial appearance alone. Although I believe modern anthropologists still measure skulls though and that can give an approximation of what race they are, but this method is not definite and only genetics can determine how closely different groups are related.

Agreed.

It's impossible to know for sure, but since these old anthropologists were obviously not ignorant, they probably wouldn't take this kind of study seriously if they were alive today. Instead, they would probably study genetics.

Prism
05-28-2015, 06:59 AM
I always thought it was hitler's anthropologists who discovered the sub-races of the Caucasian race, in order for for hitler to demonstrate racial superiority between Europeans.

Neon Knight
05-28-2015, 07:38 AM
Try googling 'faelid race' and see how many respectable scientific references come up.