PDA

View Full Version : Main types of this football team?

Damião de Góis
10-02-2016, 11:11 PM
Found this glorious picture of Benfica from the late 70s. A few are foreigners and if anyone needs help spotting them, ask.

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2mq6uir.jpg

I'll be curious if the portuguese members can identify anyone too.

Bell Beaker
10-02-2016, 11:33 PM
This must be a 75/76 or 76/77 team. No Eusebio.

The coaches are all Portuguese.

The afro guy at the left of Toni is Sheu right? Perhaps Jordão....

The blond dude between the fully black player and the other one with the afro is probably one of the Swedes who played for Benfica? And the guy at the right of the GK with a Afro is Pietra? Besides the Black and the partially black ones and the Blonde guy I mentioned they are all Portuguese?

Atlantid, Atlanto-Med, Berids, Ibero-Insular and Nordoid (but always mixed with something else).....

Damião de Góis
10-02-2016, 11:40 PM
This must be a 75/76 or 76/77 team. No Eusebio.

Yes

The coaches are all Portuguese.

No

The afro guy at the left of Toni is Sheu right? Perhaps Jordão....

Sheu indeed.

The blond dude between the fully black player and the other one with the afro is probably one of the Swedes who played for Benfica? And the guy at the right of the GK with a Afro is Pietra? Besides the Black and the partially black ones and the Blonde guy I mentioned they are all Portuguese?

No swedes here, they only came in the 80s. The first one you meant is Eurico. Pietra is right.
And no, the coach on the left is british.

Bell Beaker
10-02-2016, 11:47 PM
Oh yeah. The swedes only came with Erickson, right in the early 80's, 82/83 and 83/84. I think they even went to a Uefa Cup Final. Lost against Anderlecht in the Estadio da Luz? Most Benfica fans are probably not aware of this, or forgot about it because they are always joking with the Sporting-CSKA thing.

The British coach must be Mortimore? And Pietra, is he full blood?

Damião de Góis
10-02-2016, 11:52 PM
Oh yeah. The swedes only came with Erickson, right in the early 80's, 82/83 and 83/84. I think they even went to a Uefa Cup Final. Lost against Anderlecht in the Estadio da Luz? Most Benfica fans are probably not aware of this, or forgot about it because they are always joking with the Sporting-CSKA thing.

That's because in those days the Uefa Cup final was 2 legs. This was before my time, but wiki says it finished 2-1 and 1-1.
Not really accurate to say we lost a final at home. We couldn't turn the result at home, that's what happened.

The British coach must be Mortimore? And Pietra, is he full blood?

Yes indeed, and no idea about Pietra.

Tooting Carmen
10-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Mainly the usual mix of Southern and Western European types, plus a few West Africans (or their descendants) thrown in for good measure.