PDA

View Full Version : How are Pure and Unmixed phenotypes produced?

Norb
05-11-2018, 07:37 AM
I will use myself as an example, I am classified as Hallstatt 'pure or unmixed' to some members on TA and other members I have a little admix of Keltic or Atlantid.
My father is classified as KN or Anglo-Saxon and mother is classified as Sub Nordid. If essentially both of my parents are mixed phenotype how did I end up with Hallstatt phenotype?
How does the inheritance part of phenotypes work?

Bobby Martnen
05-11-2018, 07:46 AM
Essentially random luck of the genetic draw. Two "phenotypically pure" parents could produce a multi-phenotype child, and vice versa.

decordoba
05-11-2018, 07:52 AM
On the one hand, it is coincidence/fortune - on the other hand, it is the selective choice of partner (of the spouses).

Norb
05-11-2018, 08:04 AM
could it be a possibility that I inherited my fathers or Grandads Hallstatt component? or could I of had an ancestor from many years ago that was 'pure' and I inherited it from him?

Valwar
05-11-2018, 08:50 AM
There is no genetic component to the different phenotypes (obviously there is a genetic component to individual traits like blue eyes, black hair, big nose etc. but not in combination. There is no "Hallstatt gene" or a "North Atlantid gene"), and whether or not someone is a "pure" Hallstatt, Alpine etc. is a purely subjective assessment.
It's not unlikely that parents with two different Nordid phenotypes would produce a child with another third Nordid type. The child would randomly get different traits from his parents which in combination constructs a phenotype different than either parent's phenotypes.

cyberlorian
05-11-2018, 09:33 AM
I will use myself as an example, I am classified as Hallstatt 'pure or unmixed' to some members on TA and other members I have a little admix of Keltic or Atlantid.
My father is classified as KN or Anglo-Saxon and mother is classified as Sub Nordid. If essentially both of my parents are mixed phenotype how did I end up with Hallstatt phenotype?
How does the inheritance part of phenotypes work?

Actually, the phenotypes are like numbers. In other words they are in a cline and follow each other. Therefore, we cannot say that they are very pure.

Norb
05-11-2018, 10:01 AM
There is no genetic component to the different phenotypes (obviously there is a genetic component to individual traits like blue eyes, black hair, big nose etc. but not in combination. There is no "Hallstatt gene" or a "North Atlantid gene"), and whether or not someone is a "pure" Hallstatt, Alpine etc. is a purely subjective assessment.
It's not unlikely that parents with two different Nordid phenotypes would produce a child with another third Nordid type. The child would randomly get different traits from his parents which in combination constructs a phenotype different than either parent's phenotypes.

but I am not Hallstatt phenotype by chance or luck. it doesn't just appear randomly?, it must be in my fathers or mothers genetics somewhere right?

The Blade
05-11-2018, 12:25 PM
To me your mother looks Hallstatt but, anyway, to be on point:
- If we assume your parents both have more than one component, your Hallstatt look could be explained with only this part of your mother's phenotype being evident in you.
Also, children don't always end up as an even mix of their parents' looks/components. Nor do they always display traits from all phenotypes which produced their parents' appearance. Sometimes simply certain phenotypical traits prevail over others.
And yes, some people get a phenotype more similar to a grandparent (or another relative/predecessor) of theirs than to those of their parents.

Valwar
05-11-2018, 02:39 PM
but I am not Hallstatt phenotype by chance or luck. it doesn't just appear randomly?, it must be in my fathers or mothers genetics somewhere right?

Not completely by chance of course, two Australoids for example couldn't have a Hallstatt child obviously. But Hallstatt is phenotype and not a genotype and it can be seen with many different combinations of genes. Your great grandfather could have some Hallstatt traits, and then your grandmother some others that you inherited which in combination looks like a "pure" Halstatt.

But if you are Hallstatt it's pretty likely that some of your recent ancestors were also Hallstatt, but not necessarily.

markboli
05-11-2018, 06:07 PM
As interesting as it Is, you can't take these internet classifications too seriously. It's literally based off of people's opinions, hence why one person may get many different classifications.

Inheritance is a complicated subject with NUMEROUS different outcomes that can occur. Sometimes children look like their parents, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they may not really resemble any family members at all.

Sometimes the child may inherit light hair and light eyes, and sometimes they may not inherit it and end up with dark hair and brown eyes, even a darker shade of skin. This applies to other features as well. For example you have brothers that look vastly different from each other. Is the darker brother suddenly not as "nordic etc" as the lighter brother?

They are still a product of the same parents. Nothing changes that. Looks may be an indicator but they can be incredibly deceiving. Cleary, they should only be used as a very basic reference when it comes to Europeans.

de Burgh II
05-11-2018, 06:40 PM
You probably inherited a combination of genes of a distant ancestor whom had the Halstatt phenotype that you inherited via recombination. Since both your parents had Nordic derived phenotypes; it probably made it more likely for you to have such traits within the broad Nordic/Northern Euro spectrum genotypically.

Which reflects your autosomal dna; having a phenotype more prevalent in Northern Europe. Since, your autosomal dna is mostly Northern Euro in general.