PDA

View Full Version : Classify (kinda atypical) Assyrian singer Malek Al Babely

Zroota
01-31-2019, 12:02 AM
He sings in Arabic though. So he's more of an "Iraqi singer". But he is ethnic Assyrian.

https://i.postimg.cc/Bn90k1P1/17225-10206114105184346-7284254227486665375-n.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/q7QHNbb8/12185062-10207769686500877-6371668829413184273-o.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/dV2YYtGN/18920357-10208620078170673-4143481123052585045-n.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/JnnVZNvS/26240810-10210131784242380-735050035160197747-o.jpg

He sorta looks like a mix between Chris Crocker and Shia LaBeouf.

TheWolf97
01-31-2019, 12:04 AM
Assyrid + Asiatic Alpinid?

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

Zroota
01-31-2019, 12:09 AM

Yep, definitely. Also with some predominant Iranid and Arabid influences as well. :p

Honestly now, if he were Greek or Serbian, would you have classified him as "Assyrid"? I highly doubt it.

Tooting Carmen
01-31-2019, 12:11 AM
He looks Albanian.

Seth MacFarlane
01-31-2019, 12:13 AM

Not even close , well he has alpinid but his other element is just Mediterren. He could easily be greek

cyberlorian
01-31-2019, 12:15 AM
Dinaromed

KuriousKatKommittee
01-31-2019, 01:33 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/JnnVZNvS/26240810-10210131784242380-735050035160197747-o.jpg

He sorta looks like a mix between Chris Crocker and Shia LaBeouf.
Good eye, maestro. I see Crocker the most.
"Eurasian CM" + Pontid + Asiatic Alpine. Fits in Southeastern Europe just as well as he does in Western Asia.

Dna8
01-31-2019, 01:37 AM
Passes in Europe on general aesthetic principles.. Depending upon the European country in question, the subject's passing is informed by particular relevant subtleties of friction..

kleenex
01-31-2019, 02:30 AM
If Greek I would say East Aegean/Dodacenese possibly as an outlier. To me he could fit in Anatolia possibly. Could not fit on the mainland unless mixed. No evidence of Cro mag or robust features you see in typical non Maltese/non Sicilian European Meds. Doesn't look Albanian either. If I saw him on the street I would think he's from Turkey-East.

Efauyo Arias
01-31-2019, 03:04 AM
Alpinid with Iranid and maybe some Borreby.

Zroota
01-31-2019, 06:25 AM
If Greek I would say East Aegean/Dodacenese possibly as an outlier. To me he could fit in Anatolia possibly. Could not fit on the mainland unless mixed. No evidence of Cro mag or robust features you see in typical non Maltese/non Sicilian European Meds. Doesn't look Albanian either. If I saw him on the street I would think he's from Turkey-East.
Mixed with what? He is too light and ruddy even for the Greek mainland. The guy can pass as a somewhat atypical northwestern European, but would fit more in the Slavic nations or North Italy - If you don't want to be very biased.

I wonder how your perspective would have been if he weren't West Asian.

Sp_loa
01-31-2019, 06:58 AM
He can pass as Greek Islander or even mainlander (not sure about that tho).
Assyrians have more fimiliar faces to me compared to Iraqi Arabs.

kleenex
02-01-2019, 12:23 AM
Mixed with that? He is too light and ruddy even for the Greek mainland. The guy can pass a somewhat atypical northwestern Europe, but would fit more in the Slavic nations or North Italy. If you don't want to be very biased.

Come on be serious "too light and ruddy for the Greek mainland" no one on the street would come up to him and say "you are too light and ruddy to be a mainland Greek." This whole subjective phenotypic analsysis is truly absurd. That's why genotype far outweighs phenotype. I've seen Germans who look Siclian and Greeks (like family members) who look like Welsh farmers so when does this physical anthropology/classification carousel end?

Dorian
02-01-2019, 12:25 AM
Mixed with that? He is too light and ruddy even for the Greek mainland. The guy can pass a somewhat atypical northwestern Europe, but would fit more in the Slavic nations or North Italy. If you don't want to be very biased.

man just don't...:picard1:

FinalFlash
02-01-2019, 12:29 AM

Personally, I don't think he's too ruddy to pass in Greece. Greeks have a significant portion of people that are probably lighter than this man too.

KingOf
02-01-2019, 12:40 AM
blends fine in Balkans... nothing distinct Eastern about him imo
also being too light for Greece is bullshit as stated by other Greek members

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDcO1Oyy3GA&ab_channel=a2zWeddings

Kouros
02-01-2019, 12:56 AM
Mixed with what? He is too light and ruddy even for the Greek mainland. The guy can pass as a somewhat atypical northwestern Europe

LMAO

Zroota
02-01-2019, 01:08 AM
Come on be serious "too light and ruddy for the Greek mainland" no one on the street would come up to him and say "you are too light and ruddy to be a mainland Greek." This whole subjective phenotypic analsysis is truly absurd. That's why genotype far outweighs phenotype. I've seen Germans who look Siclian and Greeks (like family members) who look like Welsh farmers so when does this physical anthropology/classification carousel end?
I wasn't serious. I making a hyperbole in retaliation to you fitting someone in the likes of of him below Turkey in proximity to Western Asia, when he is clearly atypical not just in Mesopotamia, but in western Asia as a whole (maybe besides the Caucasus). As such, I don't think he would he would look "mixed" or out of place in the Greek mainland and surrounds, when I've seen northwestern Europeans who look similar to him. I just thought you were biased since some people have this mindset that even the lightest western Asian should only pass in Med/Greek Islands because, well, they're western Asian. As you just said, you've seen Germans who look Sicilian and Greeks who look Welsh. But Levantines must be "mixed" (I presume with 'whiter' ethnicities) in order to look like mainland Greeks?

man just don't...:picard1:
I didn't. :thumb001: Refer to the above reply.

I totally understand and acknowledge that Greeks range in colour and physical makeup.

P.S. I just noticed that this forum is reluctant in regards to classifying western Asians. I have to bump my threads a couple of times to get some decent posts. European subjects, on the other hand, are classified with so many posts that go for 2-3 pages. And instead of phenotypes, I just get "he/she looks [insert ethnicity]". Pretty weird. :confused:

Kouros
02-01-2019, 01:29 AM
P.S. I just noticed that this forum is reluctant in regards to classifying western Asians, especially Assyrians - People barely classify my Assyrian figures and I have to bump my threads a couple of times to get some decent posts. Instead, I just get "he/she looks [insert ethnicity]". But never classifications much. Whereas European subjects are classified with so many posts that go for 2-3 pages. Pretty weird. :confused:

It's called 'A European Cultural Community' for a reason. That being said 85% of this forums users lack the capacity to read.

Zroota
02-01-2019, 01:49 AM
It's called 'A European Cultural Community' for a reason. That being said 85% of this forums users lack the capacity to read.
I've loitered in this forum from around 2013, years before I signed up and it didn't have anything of particular interest to me as most content was European-based. I only registered because, back in 2017, I started to come across a lot of posts and threads regarding Western Asians, including Assyrians, from Europeans and non-Europeans alike. So I had clear things up and state my views by signing up. For a 'European Cultural Community', many Europeans seemed to make contents and posts about Levantines/Mesopotamians. So the blame shouldn't be on us who signed up here to come and state our views.

And I don't think people not replying to these threads has anything to do with European culture. Even Hadouken's Kurdish folks had good number of classification posts. I noticed, when it comes to atypical looking western Asians, people refrain from classifying them because of bias. If this Malek guy were Albanian for the sake of the argument, this thread will be filled with so many classifications, such as 'dinaro-med', 'atlantid', etc.

Dna8
02-01-2019, 01:54 AM
My personal taxonomical interest extends no further West than Italy, no further north than Hungary, and no further East than West Asia.

Mr.G
02-01-2019, 02:12 AM
I am limited in my knowledge on classifications but I can tell you I see significant Dinaric and Alpine elements here, in the second picture he looks a little like me. I agree he passes in Europe.

lonewolfcypriot
02-01-2019, 02:13 AM
Looks Greek

kleenex
02-01-2019, 06:41 PM
I wasn't serious. I making a hyperbole in retaliation to you fitting someone in the likes of of him below Turkey in proximity to Western Asia, when he is clearly atypical not just in Mesopotamia, but in western Asia as a whole (maybe besides the Caucasus). As such, I don't think he would he would look "mixed" or out of place in the Greek mainland and surrounds, when I've seen northwestern Europeans who look similar to him. I just thought you were biased since some people have this mindset that even the lightest western Asian should only pass in Med/Greek Islands because, well, they're western Asian. As you just said, you've seen Germans who look Sicilian and Greeks who look Welsh. But Levantines must be "mixed" (I presume with 'whiter' ethnicities) in order to look like mainland Greeks?

get your point and I’m sorry if I’m coming off as ethnocentric but I’m trying to figure out the “who passes vs who looks” question. I’m not saying this person couldn’t pass in Greece but to me he looks too West Asian influenced for the mainland not so much for Cyprus or even the Dodacanese. I’m thinking he could be Georgian which makes way more sense genetically. I love to debate this stuff isn’t that what this forum’s about?

I didn't. :thumb001: Refer to the above reply.

I totally understand and acknowledge that Greeks range in colour and physical makeup.

P.S. I just noticed that this forum is reluctant in regards to classifying western Asians. I have to bump my threads a couple of times to get some decent posts. European subjects, on the other hand, are classified with so many posts that go for 2-3 pages. And instead of phenotypes, I just get "he/she looks [insert ethnicity]". Pretty weird. :confused:

get your point and I’m sorry if I’m coming off as ethnocentric but I’m trying to figure out the “who passes vs who looks” question. I’m not saying this person couldn’t pass in Greece but to me he looks too West Asian influenced for the mainland not so much for Cyprus or even the Dodacanese. I’m thinking he could be Georgian which makes way more sense genetically. I love to debate this stuff isn’t that what this forum’s about?

Zroota
03-07-2019, 12:26 AM
That's fair enough. Of course, he does look West Asian influenced, and especially Georgian or somewhere from the Caucasus. But then again, many southern Europeans can have West Asian features. Race and phenotypes are gradient. Overall, despite his West Asian influence, he still looks more safely in the European sphere. But that's just me.

Naturally, you may know your country very well. So I guess I can't argue with you if you think he can't pass in mainland Greece very well. So I digress here. It's just that, to an Assyrian, this guy looks pretty foreign and more European shifted. I guess it's all perspective. Europeans will see him as too eastern and us West Asians will perceive him as too western. Funny huh? :)

Murat1453s
03-07-2019, 06:54 AM

Triggered greek.

Murat1453s
03-07-2019, 07:06 AM
That's fair enough. Of course, he does look West Asian influenced, and especially Georgian or somewhere from the Caucasus. But then again, many southern Europeans can have West Asian features. Race and phenotypes are gradient. Overall, despite his West Asian influence, he still looks more safely in the European sphere. But that's just me.

Naturally, you may know your country very well. So I guess I can't argue with you if you think he can't pass in mainland Greece very well. So I digress here. It's just that, to an Assyrian, this guy looks pretty foreign and more European shifted. I guess it's all perspective. Europeans will see him as too eastern and us West Asians will perceive him as too western. Funny huh? :)

It is impossible to discuss with "greeks" if a west asian looks greek even if assyrians are whiter than most greeks they will deny it until they see a pure Nordid one and start claiming he is descendant from Alexander the Macedonian. I literally got classified as Saudi arab by greeks but by nords they say I am whiter than greeks.

Zuh
03-07-2019, 07:19 AM
Atlantid + Dinarid

xtal
03-16-2019, 07:16 AM
He looks like he can be from Balkans or western Turkey

Odelia
10-04-2023, 12:32 AM
He is married to my Chaldean high school friend.... and why call him Assyrian? He's iraqi chaldean hun! ....But a big facepalm to the people passing him in iran and labeling him assyroid cos hes Iraqi. He's on the lighter end of Mediterranean even, possibly in the alpinized dinarid range. He hardly fits in the med, let alone fuckin iraq....He looks albanian or balkan, to georgian/north caucasus in the east. This dude will stick out as a sore thumb in Iran, iraq, syria and even lebanon. So let's not whitewash the levant (cos thats what y'all do ironically)... :picard1:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uc6hDZrpKO0/maxresdefault.jpg

sarmsaksogan
10-04-2023, 12:40 AM
Syrid & Pontid

Eurafricanid
10-04-2023, 01:44 AM
He is married to my Chaldean high school friend.... and why call him Assyrian? He's iraqi chaldean hun! ....But a big facepalm to the people passing him in iran and labeling him assyroid cos hes Iraqi. He's on the lighter end of Mediterranean even, possibly in the alpinized dinarid range. He hardly fits in the med, let alone fuckin iraq....He looks albanian or balkan, to georgian/north caucasus in the east. This dude will stick out as a sore thumb in Iran, iraq, syria and even lebanon. So let's not whitewash the levant (cos thats what y'all do ironically)... :picard1:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uc6hDZrpKO0/maxresdefault.jpg

Assyroid is not exclusive to the Assyrian people, it's a broad Mesopotamian/Levantine phenotype, it was named after the ancient Assyrians.
I'd classify him as Assyroid + Pontid.

Odelia
10-04-2023, 06:11 AM
Assyroid is not exclusive to the Assyrian people, it's a broad Mesopotamian/Levantine phenotype, it was named after the ancient Assyrians.
I'd classify him as Assyroid + Pontid.
That's the fucking point and yet you ironically classify him as assyroid cos he's "assyrian"! :bored: He's more more in the alpinized-dinarid range. Pontid is close tho. Nothing is assyroid about him. If he's assyroid then George clooney is egyptid. This bias is seriously grotesque!....BY THE WAY Today's assyrians are mixed asf! They're a mix of jewish, caucasian, iranic and turkish. This guy clearly looks like the Caucasus part in this bunch. Also he is chaldean, and they say chaldeans are Christian Kurds. So you really need to alter your hilarious Assyroid classification. :picard2:

Here is an assyroid iraqi:

https://ogden_images.s3.amazonaws.com/www.ljworld.com/images/2005/12/22215545/na_full_JOURNEY_IRAQ_1230_.jpg

Nurzat
10-04-2023, 06:58 AM
would easily pass as Romanian, French or Italian