PDA

View Full Version : How light-eyed are Greeks?

Zeno
10-26-2019, 02:34 PM
10%
10-15%
15-20%
20-25%
25-30%

Samnium
10-26-2019, 02:40 PM
Between 25 and 30% IMO

Maintenance
10-26-2019, 02:41 PM
25-30

Zeno
10-27-2019, 06:12 PM
Forgot to add the 35% option.

Zeno
10-27-2019, 06:17 PM
Bump

Zeno
10-28-2019, 01:48 PM
Bumpity

Avicenna
10-28-2019, 02:03 PM
From the current national football team, 6/22 ethnic Greeks had light eyes( green, Hazel, blue, grey), this is exluding zeca and dimitris liminios and vrousai. So 27%.

Bakha
10-28-2019, 03:02 PM
15% or so
95% are semitic mena rats tho

Zeno
10-28-2019, 03:23 PM
From the current national football team, 6/22 ethnic Greeks had light eyes( green, Hazel, blue, grey), this is exluding zeca and dimitris liminios and vrousai. So 27%.

Please don't draw conclusions from the football team. I'm talking commoners.

Zeno
10-28-2019, 03:26 PM
15% or so
95% are semitic mena rats tho

No projections please.

Avicenna
10-28-2019, 03:27 PM
Please don't draw conclusions from the football team. I'm talking commoners.
I'm not but in my defense it seems to correlate what the stats say about the percentage of light eyes in greece.

archangel
10-28-2019, 05:25 PM
7 percent

Zeno
10-28-2019, 05:52 PM
7 percent

Nice coming from the other thread. But statistics please or gtfo.

Samnium
10-28-2019, 05:53 PM
Nice coming from the other thread. But statistics please or gtfo.7% it's very low, impossible in the case of Greece IMO...

Envoyé de mon ALE-L21 en utilisant Tapatalk

Zeno
10-28-2019, 05:57 PM
7% it's very low, impossible in the case of Greece IMO...

Envoyé de mon ALE-L21 en utilisant Tapatalk

Don't listen to him. He's well known for trolling against Greeks. As a typical roach he is.

Renekton
07-22-2020, 05:35 PM
10-15% imo

Peloponnesian pride
07-22-2020, 05:38 PM
It is hazel eye considered light?

Cristiano viejo
07-22-2020, 05:51 PM
According the Gricos playing in Spain, quite low.
No idea about an exact number. 10-15%?

mergen3
07-22-2020, 05:54 PM
20-25%

PaleoEuropean
07-22-2020, 06:24 PM
30ish%

Samnium
07-22-2020, 06:25 PM
Between 25 and 30% IMO

I revise what I've said, between 20 and 25%, it's possible also that's between 15 and 20% don't really know.

Zeno
07-22-2020, 06:31 PM
I personally think it's between 30-35%. The 10-15% figure Hahns and CV mentioned are right if only blue eyes are taken into consideration imo

Cernunnos
07-22-2020, 06:42 PM
15-25% figure? They are a Med population like us....

Renekton
07-22-2020, 06:59 PM
It is hazel eye considered light?

No I don't think so imo.

Samnium
07-22-2020, 07:06 PM
No I don't think so imo.

Hazel like brown eyes strongly influenced by a "green" tone, definitely not (and that can change to green with more light).

Light eyes with central heterochromia ? Yes.

Peloponnesian pride
07-22-2020, 07:09 PM
Hazel like brown eyes strongly influenced by a "green" tone, definitely not (and that can change to green with more light).

Light eyes with central heterochromia ? Yes.

I mean eyes like that.
https://i.imgur.com/KJaNibD.jpg

Cristiano viejo
07-22-2020, 07:10 PM
I personally think it's between 30-35%. The 10-15% figure Hahns and CV mentioned are right if only blue eyes are taken into consideration imo

https://media1.tenor.com/images/6e36025839437fbf9023bd5c99be4f9a/tenor.gif?itemid=11590115

zodzod_
07-22-2020, 07:26 PM
I think It is 30%.

45% for Italy.
35-40ish for Spain
25% in Turkey.
30% in Georgia
25% Armenia
25% Azerbaijan
30% Albania
45% Serbia
35% Bulgaria
40-45% Romania
55-60% France
20% Lebanon
20% Syria
20% Iran
15% Afghanistan
10% Iraq
5-10% Jordan
5% Pakistan
<5% Penninsular Arabs

95% Morocco (Jk,Jk :D )

NB: These are all my personal opinions from people I have seen in rl and crowd images I have seen from the internet.

Avicenna
07-22-2020, 07:32 PM
I think It is 30%.

45% for Italy.
35-40ish for Spain
25% in Turkey.
30% in Georgia
25% Armenia
25% Azerbaijan
30% Albania
45% Serbia
35% Bulgaria
40-45% Romania
55-60% France
20% Lebanon
20% Syria
20% Iran
15% Afghanistan
10% Iraq
5-10% Jordan
5% Pakistan
<5% Penninsular Arabs

95% Morocco (Jk,Jk :D )

NB: These are all my personal opinions from people I have seen in rl and crowd images I have seen from the internet.

Taking the average for afghanistan ( nuristanis 34%, pashtuns 20% and 15% tajiks) afghans would be around 23-25% . More than Lebanon for sure . This is light eyes not looking like a nordic European btw .

Avicenna
07-22-2020, 07:35 PM
I mean eyes like that.
[I]

It's a weird one tbh . I know some.people who have eyes like that ^ but in real life and certain lighting it looks plain brown ( especially in pictures from afar /selfies ). Under harsh lighting it changes to greenish and I always get baffled .

Samnium
07-22-2020, 07:38 PM
I mean eyes like that.
https://i.imgur.com/pg

I don't count it as light because there isn't a clear "cut" between the light and dark part + there's more brown than light, I would classify that as "intermediate"

On Martin-Schultz scale it would be 9 or 10, I think light eyes are on the 1-8 range on the MS scale.

Samnium
07-22-2020, 07:40 PM
It's a weird one tbh . I know some.people who have eyes like that ^ but in real life and certain lighting it looks plain brown ( especially in pictures from afar /selfies ). Under harsh lighting it changes to greenish and I always get baffled .

Exactly, I think it's the definition of "hazel". At the same time there are light eyes with a bit of brown, and that appear as green/blue whatever in all the occasions.

PaleoEuropean
07-22-2020, 08:17 PM
I thought this included hair, with hair definitely 30%, eyes is open for debate if you are going blue-green maybe like 15-25%

Zeno
07-22-2020, 08:20 PM
I thought this included hair, with hair definitely 30%, eyes is open for debate if you are going blue-green maybe like 15-25%

Nah. Only eye colour. As for the percentage, I'd say it's 10-15% if only blue is considered. If green, gray and mixes between blue, green and gray are inclined, it goes up to 30-35%. Imo

PaleoEuropean
07-22-2020, 08:23 PM
Nah. Only eye colour. As for the percentage, I'd say it's 10-15% if only blue is considered. If green, gray and mixes between blue, green and gray are inclined, it goes up to 30-35%. Imo

Yea I can't be certain I am only going of studies which aren't really that accurate. I am sure you tack on 10-20% in any study honestly. I don't think there has ever been truly extensive studies when it comes to Greece or Southern Europe for that matter, I could be wrong but I never seen any.

Avicenna
07-22-2020, 08:27 PM

On what planet is blue only considered for light and not green /gray etc lol?

Zeno
07-22-2020, 08:35 PM
On what planet is blue only considered for light and not green /gray etc lol?

The Bunak scale practically only considers blue to be light.

Yea I can't be certain I am only going of studies which aren't really that accurate. I am sure you tack on 10-20% in any study honestly. I don't think there has ever been truly extensive studies when it comes to Greece or Southern Europe for that matter, I could be wrong but I never seen any.

Well yeah. From Greece, there has been only one nationwide study of 12,404 Greeks and it showed 35-40% light eyes I think, and the measurements went based on the Bunak scale, which from 9-12 is light (shades of blue only) and 5-8 are "mixed", which practically is a mix of blue, green and gray, except 5 which is hazel. And for light eyes, aka blue only, he found 5%, and for "mixed" eyes, aka mix between blue, green and gray another 35-40%.

And in regional studies, the same pattern is observed. In Laconia for example, Körner found 42% light eyes (1-8).

Cristiano viejo
07-22-2020, 09:00 PM
35-40ish for Spain

As Spaniard myself and all the life surrounded of them:p , I can sure you, no. 25-30% counting all the shades of lightness: blue, green and grey.

We are handsome and good people, at least :noidea:

Jana
07-22-2020, 09:15 PM
As Spaniard myself and all the life surrounded of them:p , I can sure you, no. 25-30% counting all the shades of lightness: blue, green and grey.

Yes. And Greeks have less light eyes than Spaniards. Some of figures given here are extremelly laughable and OWD.

zodzod_
07-22-2020, 10:49 PM

I included hazel as well, as long as it was more light than brown.

zodzod_
07-22-2020, 10:52 PM
Yes. And Greeks have less light eyes than Spaniards. Some of figures given here are extremelly laughable and OWD.

I included hazel eyes. If we only take into consideration blue-green-gray it would be considerably less, like 15% for Greece, 20% Spain, 25% Italy, 15% Albania, 10-15% Turkey, 10% Syria Lebanon Iran, etc etc etc

Kerili
07-22-2020, 10:55 PM
Depends on the region. Overall I think 20-30% +/-.

zodzod_
07-22-2020, 10:55 PM
Taking the average for afghanistan ( nuristanis 34%, pashtuns 20% and 15% tajiks) afghans would be around 23-25% . More than Lebanon for sure . This is light eyes not looking like a nordic European btw .

At max, Afghanistan is on par with Iran and levant.

Not more than Lebanon, about same level maybe. But tbh whiteness of levantines is greatly exaggerated so you may actually be right.

Avicenna
07-22-2020, 11:10 PM
At max, Afghanistan is on par with Iran and levant.

Not more than Lebanon, about same level maybe. But tbh whiteness of levantines is greatly exaggerated so you may actually be right.

It's has more light eyes than Iran bro . That's for certain . Go to any study for west Asia and it's usually much lower than 15% . Light eyes is not that common among Iranians , just look at their national football team . Levant is similar but it's most likely slightly less than afghans , only ones who might be on par are Syrians . Look at our cricket squad and count how many light eyes is present ( guy 9 is half Pakistani )

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?291265-Main-type-among-Afghan-cricket-squad

Our national football team

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?304390-Classify-the-Afghan-football-squad-2019

Studies have put it within the 23-25% range , sounds about right imo

zodzod_
07-23-2020, 01:02 PM
It's has more light eyes than Iran bro . That's for certain . Go to any study for west Asia and it's usually much lower than 15% . Light eyes is not that common among Iranians , just look at their national football team . Levant is similar but it's most likely slightly less than afghans , only ones who might be on par are Syrians . Look at our cricket squad and count how many light eyes is present ( guy 9 is half Pakistani )

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?291265-Main-type-among-Afghan-cricket-squad

Our national football team

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?304390-Classify-the-Afghan-football-squad-2019

Studies have put it within the 23-25% range , sounds about right imo

More than Iran and levant? Lol. Iran has more than 1 million people native from South and even North Cacausus, some assimilated, some not, more greek influence, a lot of byzantine influence, just look at a map, Iran is closer to Europe than Afghanistan which is arguably south Asian. It would be ludicrous to claim that Afghanistan has 10% more light eyes than Iran, 25% is a massive stretch and people from the Caucasus are 25% not Afghanistan. 1 in 4 Afghans don't have light eyes.

renaissance12
07-23-2020, 01:12 PM
15-20% like central South italy

Avicenna
07-23-2020, 02:12 PM
More than Iran and levant? Lol. Iran has more than 1 million people native from South and even North Cacausus, some assimilated, some not, more greek influence, a lot of byzantine influence, just look at a map, Iran is closer to Europe than Afghanistan which is arguably south Asian. It would be ludicrous to claim that Afghanistan has 10% more light eyes than Iran, 25% is a massive stretch and people from the Caucasus are 25% not Afghanistan. 1 in 4 Afghans don't have light eyes.

Being closer to Europe has nothing to do with it man . And assimilated north Caucasians ? Really ? Since when we're south Caucasians assimilated in Iran or even known for their light features ? Most are brown eyed anyways . You seem to completley dismiss steppe /sinashta / andronovo admixture which peaks among south central Asians NOT Iranians or west Asians . Again, you have completley dismissed studies which averages afghans at about 23-25% . Show me any study that puts levantines and Iranians higher than that?

Edit : aren't you the Armenian looking Greek fella? I've shown you that study about afghans regarding pigmentation which you agreed on . Why are you backtracking on that? Also grecoroman did a thread on the Iranian football team and here are the statistics for light eyes ( 3/27 = 11% .)

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?295411-iranian-phenotypes

Anyways , this thread is about Greeks not afghans or Iranians . I've said what I said as well as backed it up . Greeks have higher than 30% for sure .

zodzod_
07-23-2020, 04:08 PM
Being closer to Europe has nothing to do with it man . And assimilated north Caucasians ? Really ? Since when we're south Caucasians assimilated in Iran or even known for their light features ? Most are brown eyed anyways . You seem to completley dismiss steppe /sinashta / andronovo admixture which peaks among south central Asians NOT Iranians or west Asians . Again, you have completley dismissed studies which averages afghans at about 23-25% . Show me any study that puts levantines and Iranians higher than that?

Edit : aren't you the Armenian looking Greek fella? I've shown you that study about afghans regarding pigmentation which you agreed on . Why are you backtracking on that? Also grecoroman did a thread on the Iranian football team and here are the statistics for light eyes ( 3/27 = 11% .)

Anyways , this thread is about Greeks not afghans or Iranians . I've said what I said as well as backed it up . Greeks have higher than 30% for sure .

Since when did football teams represent the whole country?

Tons of dagestanis, Georgians, Circassians and Armenians were deported into Iran. All these ethnicities have considerably more light eyes than Afghans.
You're the one who went offtopic, only using football teams as evidence.

zodzod_
07-23-2020, 04:09 PM

Tons of dagestanis, Georgians, Circassians and Armenians were deported into Iran. All these ethnicities have considerably more light eyes than Afghans.

Avicenna
07-23-2020, 04:41 PM

Armenians ? Lol. You sure ? They are mostly brown eyed , let's not get carried away . And so what? Do you even know the population of Iran? Since when did georgians and dagestanis made a impact on the Iranian population ? You are speaking out your ass mate . Keep yourself humble and talk about where you are supposedly from ..Greece . So football teams don't give you an idea of what the population could look like? I guess they import aliens from mars to be members of the national team . I also provided you a anthrpological study before genius . Trying to whiteash armenians because you look like them looool

Tons of dagestanis and Armenians ? Its mostly Armenians and ethnic Georgians who make up the majority of the minority group which is roughly at most 2% . Even then , so what?? Are you seriously taking immigrants as a basis for your sample ? Why don't you take the gypsies into your Greek sample too then? Even better , I'm pretty sure afro Iranians and Arabs have more of a case to be considered native than georgians. Why don't you include them ? On top of all that, pretty sure pamiris , wakhis are as light as dagestanis . So your point is nullified .

The football team proves my point .

zodzod_
07-23-2020, 05:39 PM
Armenians ? Lol. You sure ? They are mostly brown eyed , let's not get carried away . And so what? Do you even know the population of Iran? Since when did georgians and dagestanis made a impact on the Iranian population ? You are speaking out your ass mate . Keep yourself humble and talk about where you are supposedly from ..Greece . So football teams don't give you an idea of what the population could look like? I guess they import aliens from mars to be members of the national team . I also provided you a anthrpological study before genius . Trying to whiteash armenians because you look like them looool

Tons of dagestanis and Armenians ? Its mostly Armenians and ethnic Georgians who make up the majority of the minority group which is roughly at most 2% . Even then , so what?? Are you seriously taking immigrants as a basis for your sample ? Why don't you take the gypsies into your Greek sample too then? Even better , I'm pretty sure afro Iranians and Arabs have more of a case to be considered native than georgians. Why don't you include them ? On top of all that, pretty sure pamiris , wakhis are as light as dagestanis . So your point is nullified .

The football team proves my point .

2%? Lol. Georgians themselves are 2%, and that's probably lower than the actual amount because many assimilated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peoples_of_the_Caucasus_in_Iran

Avicenna
07-23-2020, 05:43 PM
2%? Lol. Georgians themselves are 2%, and that's probably lower than the actual amount because many assimilated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peoples_of_the_Caucasus_in_Iran

"Percentages given by the CIA's World Factbook include 53% Persian, 16% Azerbaijani, 10% Kurdish, 7% Mazenderani and Gilaki, 7% Luri, 2% Turkmen, 2% Balochi, 2% Arabic, and 2% the remainder Armenian, Georgian, Neo-Aramaic, and Circassian.[3]"

Again your point is null, most assimilated Georgians look quite similar to their local population . They are not long lost cousins of Vikings lol.

pulstar
07-23-2020, 05:46 PM
10-15% in my opinion

Voskos
07-23-2020, 06:28 PM
Quick stat from my broader family members, counting as light all colours other than brown and black: 15/49 = 30,6%. The sample is too small of course and not representative.

Zeno
07-23-2020, 06:31 PM
Quick stat from my broader family members, counting as light all colours other than brown and black: 15/49 = 30,6%. The sample is too small of course and not representative.

I got double members and I get approximately 35-40%.

Voskos
07-23-2020, 06:34 PM

interesting. for some reason the light eye rates in Greece seem to be higher than the blondism numbers.

Zeno
07-23-2020, 06:38 PM
interesting. for some reason the light eye rates in Greece seem to be higher than the blondism numbers.

Blondism is more of a recessive trait in comparison to light eyes.

zodzod_
07-23-2020, 06:41 PM
"Percentages given by the CIA's World Factbook include 53% Persian, 16% Azerbaijani, 10% Kurdish, 7% Mazenderani and Gilaki, 7% Luri, 2% Turkmen, 2% Balochi, 2% Arabic, and 2% the remainder Armenian, Georgian, Neo-Aramaic, and Circassian.[3]"

Again your point is null, most assimilated Georgians look quite similar to their local population . They are not long lost cousins of Vikings lol.

Alright my bad. I thought there were more Caucasians.

Either way, I don't think that Afghans have more light eyes than Iranians. They are on par, same with levant. Afghanistan isn't composed of some lost tribe from Sweeden lol

Avicenna
07-23-2020, 07:31 PM
Alright my bad. I thought there were more Caucasians.

Either way, I don't think that Afghans have more light eyes than Iranians. They are on par, same with levant. Afghanistan isn't composed of some lost tribe from Sweeden lol

You are quick to assume things . I never claimed that afghans are some lost swedish tribe . 23% light eyes rate is hardly common . You seem understand that the more eastern the country , the more darker it is , completley ignoring the climate, genetics , racial makeup and history of a region . Show me any study which puts Iranians ( Persians , azeris, lurs , Baloch ) higher than ethnic afghans ? This ain't a competition but you seem to underestimate light pigmentation in Afghanistan .

""The Afghans and Pathans, like the Persians, are usually brunet, and at the same time show a persistent minority of blondism, which in this case reflects Nordic admixture. They are heavy-bearded, and possess heavy body hair. Their facial features show a maximum of bony relief, and, on the whole, their facial skeletons seem much heavier and much more strongly marked than those of the more delicate Arabian Mediterraneans. They possess, in common with the Arabian Mediterranean group, a sharpness in definition of feature which stands in contrast to the coarser lineaments of the average Mesopotamian countenance.

In respect to the Dardic group, we have a certain amount of published and unpublished information which will be useful here.25

The Kafirs of the Kati tribe, who live in the easternmost section of Kafiristan, are taller and larger-headed than the Pathans, but still essentially dolichocephalic and leptorrhine.26 They seem also to possess a high ratio of blondism. Like the Pathans, their commonest skin color is a medium brunet white, von Luschan #9, but in hair and eye color they seem to be lighter than the Pushtu-speaking peoples. Thirty-four per cent have mixed or light eyes, as opposed to 20 per cent of Pushtus. Their hair color, according to Stein, is blond or light brown in 28 per cent of the group.27"

"The Tajiks of both countries are pale skinned hirsute europiform pamirians with 10% light hair(blonde) and 15% light eyes (blue)" https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...epage&q&f=true

Seems only blue was considered light in the Tajik sample , so it could be slightly higher if you include mix , green eyes . Urban populations would most likely be less , this applies to pretty much everywhere . ( Dominant genes ) .

karlani Pashtun

28.40% Iran_N + 23.05% Armenia_ChL/EBA
22.65% Steppe_MLBA + 9.95% Srubnaya_outlier + 3.00% Andronovo_outlier
10.20% ASI
2.75% Mongola

Tajik_Ishkashim

24.1% Iran_N + 19.2% Armenia_ChL/EBA
22.4% Steppe_MLBA + 19.5% Srubnaya_outlier + 1.2% Scythian_Pazyryk
9.2% ASI
4.4% Mongola

Pashtuns score more than 30% steppe whilst Tajik pamiris score well above 40% . I recommend you read up on the steppe pastorlists .

Avicenna
07-23-2020, 07:53 PM

Results from Blades Greek pigmentation thread , your numbers seems to be spot on .

"
Eye colour distribution:
Blue – 69 (11,2%)
Blue-green – 13 (2,11%)
Blue-grey – 17 (2,76%)
Green-grey – 49 (7,95%)
Grey – 11 (1,79%)
Green – 68 (11,04%)
Hazel – 134 (21,75%)
Brown – 240 (38,96%)
Black – 13 (2,11%)
Blue-brown – 2 (0,33%)
Light eyes total: 36,85% (227 people)
Dark/dark-mixed eyes total: 63,15% (389 people)
Blue and blue-mixed light eyes rate: 16,07% (99 individuals)
Grey and grey-mixed light eyes value: 12,5% (77 people)"

Prometheus
07-23-2020, 09:59 PM
I'd say 25-30% tbh. My eyes are a green-hazel but I think I got that from barbarian genes tbh. :p

stellan
08-01-2020, 09:25 PM
around 30-35 i think. i feel like it's not that hard to find someone w blue/green/grey eyes in Greece and most families have at least a few family members that have light eyes