PDA

View Full Version : Could I pass in South Asia?

zodzod
05-08-2020, 10:20 AM
Dumb question, but could I possibly pass in South Asia? So if I walk down the streets of Islamabad or New Delhi, could I pass as a local? Or would people realise straight away that I'm European?98397

I'm thinking about visiting Pakistan and India one day, so I'm curious. Opinions from South Asians are valued.

zodzod
05-08-2020, 10:43 AM
Bump

Mortimer
05-08-2020, 10:46 AM
No you can not but you pass as westasian

zodzod
05-08-2020, 10:46 AM
No you can not but you pass as westasian

Not even Pakistan?

Mortimer
05-08-2020, 10:52 AM
Not even Pakistan?

To be honest I was never there but they can answer better than me I know that sometimes when I see a Pakistani in austria I guess him as Pakistani and when I talk to him he says he is so I'm usually right and I would not guess you as Pakistan maybe kurd

zodzod
05-08-2020, 10:56 AM
To be honest I was never there but they can answer better than me I know that sometimes when I see a Pakistani in austria I guess him as Pakistani and when I talk to him he says he is so I'm usually right and I would not guess you as Pakistan maybe kurd

So the most 'eastern' ethnicity I could pass as is Kurdish?

Mortimer
05-08-2020, 10:57 AM

Yes maybe Afghanistan too

Pro.crasti.nation
05-08-2020, 11:09 AM
I think so.

zodzod
05-08-2020, 11:10 AM
I think so.

Which country in particular?

Pro.crasti.nation
05-08-2020, 11:22 AM
Which country in particular?

Pakistan would be the obvious answer but, parts of NW India and even as a rare Bangladeshi.

You'd raise questions, but then it happens to me and I actually am South Asian. That's just the vastness of the diversity in the region.

zodzod
05-08-2020, 11:25 AM
Pakistan would be the obvious answer but, parts of NW India and even as a rare Bangladeshi.

You'd raise questions, but then it happens to me and I actually am South Asian. That's just the vastness of the diversity in the region.

Interesting, thanks. By 'raise questions' do you mean that people would question where I'm from just by looking at me?

And yes, you don't really look south asian to me, more west asian IMO.

Pro.crasti.nation
05-08-2020, 11:30 AM
Interesting, thanks. By 'raise questions' do you mean that people would question where I'm from just by looking at me?

And yes, you don't really look south asian to me, more west asian IMO.

Pretty much, people tend to forget the variety that exists.

lameduck
05-08-2020, 11:52 AM
well thats how riding in street of Pakistan Punjab will look like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLR5CIh8WAY

thats how in northern part of country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzXqMvPJ4R4

zodzod
05-08-2020, 12:05 PM

I mean I look different from these people, but as a south asian yourself would you think it's enough for people to realise I'm not native?

MiloshN
05-08-2020, 12:07 PM
Yes and no. Can I pass?

lameduck
05-08-2020, 12:09 PM
I mean I look different from these people, but as a south asian yourself would you think it's enough for people to realise I'm not native?

maybe if you dress as local , tbh it depends on perception and contexts of the moment , lots of western tourists are visiting pakistan and liking the country . Greeks also have huge ancient indo Greek impact on the region.

Reis-i Cumhur
05-08-2020, 12:10 PM
No,You are too white for South Asia.You look Georgian or Eastern Turkish.

Mortimer
05-08-2020, 12:11 PM

My relatives could pass in the first video but not the second huge difference kinda

zodzod
05-08-2020, 12:20 PM
No,You are too white for South Asia.You look Georgian or Eastern Turkish.

Yeah ik I was wondering if I could fit without giving 'tourist vibes'.

zodzod
05-08-2020, 12:20 PM
Yes and no. Can I pass?

Pic?

zodzod
05-08-2020, 01:13 PM
Bumpin

Chaos One
05-08-2020, 01:44 PM
Well, I do pass as a 10/10 in Gilgit/Chitral for sure (there's even a guy who really look like me there, and I'm sure I do have Burusho/Wakhi background beyond my Sart one). Therefore, you probably pass on the region, although some people would probably see you as a tourist at some point.

zodzod
05-08-2020, 01:46 PM
Well, I do pass as a 10/10 in Gilgit/Chitral for sure (there's even a guy who really look like me there, and I'm sure I do have Burusho/Wakhi background beyond my Sart one). Therefore, you probably pass on the region, although some people would probably see you as a tourist at some point.

So basically I can only pass in Northern Pakistan?

Chaos One
05-08-2020, 01:50 PM
So basically I can only pass in Northern Pakistan?

If you can pass there, you probably can pass in Kashmir and NW India at some (lesser) degree too.

zodzod
05-08-2020, 01:52 PM
If you can pass there, you probably can pass in Kashmir and NW India at some (lesser) degree too.

Only one way to know for sure, lol...

Dean K
05-08-2020, 01:58 PM
No beo I think you look more Turkish (dont get mad because you are Greek) (:

zodzod
05-08-2020, 02:08 PM
No beo I think you look more Turkish (dont get mad because you are Greek) (:

Turkish??? Noooooo I am a disgrace :) (joking ofc)

Dean K
05-08-2020, 02:14 PM

Turkish??? Noooooo I am a disgrace :) (joking ofc)

Hahaha (: you are good and funny dude thats the importent thing and just now i saw in a macedonian video clip someone that reminds you so i guess there is greeks and macedonians that reminds you

zodzod
05-08-2020, 02:27 PM
Hahaha (: you are good and funny dude thats the importent thing and just now i saw in a macedonian video clip someone that reminds you so i guess there is greeks and macedonians that reminds you

Yea I may look a bit atypical, but not to the extent where I stand out in Greece, I've always fitted right in

Zroota
05-08-2020, 02:30 PM
Maybe somewhere between Pakistan & Afghanistan.

Not sure about India.

zodzod
05-08-2020, 02:42 PM
Maybe somewhere between Pakistan & Afghanistan.

Not sure about India.

So Northern Pakistan only? I'd look too atypical everywhere else?

Thambi
05-08-2020, 03:04 PM
you might pass as a pashtun from western pak, but anywhere east of indus you will not pass imo.

zodzod
05-08-2020, 03:08 PM
you might pass as a pashtun from western pak, but anywhere east of indus you will not pass imo.

Can't you find European-looking people in the Indian part of Kashmir?

El_Abominacion
05-08-2020, 03:14 PM
Atypically, maybe as a Pak Pashtun. Are you mainland Greek or from the islands?

Nelju
05-08-2020, 03:16 PM
Nope, south Asians are darker. Maybe Iran and other countries in the Middle East.

Avicenna
05-08-2020, 03:19 PM
It's not that you are lighter than your Pak pashtun but your features are quite atypical . However that being said , I'm almost certain if you wore Their traditional clothing you will be mistaken for a local . East of that no chance.

zodzod
05-08-2020, 03:20 PM
Atypically, maybe as a Pak Pashtun. Are you mainland Greek or from the islands?

Mainland, mother from Athens father from Sparti.

El_Abominacion
05-08-2020, 03:22 PM
Mainland, mother from Athens father from Sparti.

You'd pass a lot better in Western Asia imo. But if you said you were at least part South Asian I wouldn't bat an eye

Thambi
05-08-2020, 03:42 PM
Can't you find European-looking people in the Indian part of Kashmir?

maybe as a very western shifted kashmiri.

NPKTO
05-08-2020, 03:57 PM
You don’t look South Asian.

Edit: I looked at your other photos and you look atypical for South Asia. But many people’s perception of Euros is light skin with blonde hair and blue eyes in South Asia. So folks might question where you’re from.

Friedrich Ulrich
05-08-2020, 04:01 PM
U cant, maybe afghanistan but your skin tone too light for to afghanistan.Only u can pass borders of caucasian side not mongoloid side

Avicenna
05-08-2020, 04:12 PM
U cant, maybe afghanistan but your skin tone too light for to afghanistan.Only u can pass borders of caucasian side not mongoloid side

I have seen abundance of afghans with skin similar or lighter than him, myself and my own family members included . The massive difference is not take afghans from Afghanistan as the criteria since many are exposed to the sun all year round every single day . Studied show untanned areas of skin is white pigmented although not all are like that .

zodzod
05-08-2020, 05:25 PM
You'd pass a lot better in Western Asia imo. But if you said you were at least part South Asian I wouldn't bat an eye

What country in particular?

El_Abominacion
05-08-2020, 05:34 PM
What country in particular?

Pakistan and perhaps Northern India in regards to passing as part

zodzod
05-08-2020, 05:39 PM
Pakistan and perhaps Northern India in regards to passing as part

No I meant when you said I pass better in West Asia, which west asian country in particular?

zodzod
05-08-2020, 05:40 PM
You don’t look South Asian.

Edit: I looked at your other photos and you look atypical for South Asia. But many people’s perception of Euros is light skin with blonde hair and blue eyes in South Asia. So folks might question where you’re from.

I might have misunderstood you, but you said I'm 'atypical for south Asian'- I'm not south Asian...

El_Abominacion
05-08-2020, 05:41 PM
No I meant when you said I pass better in West Asia, which west asian country in particular?

Oh ok, in West Asia I could see you passing in Turkey or Armenia particularly well, the Caucasus region in general is a good fit

zodzod
05-08-2020, 05:52 PM
Oh ok, in West Asia I could see you passing in Turkey or Armenia particularly well, the Caucasus region in general is a good fit

Cheers. I get Turkish, Georgian and Armenian a lot, I don't understand how this is possible when Greece is pretty far from the Caucasus.

zodzod
05-08-2020, 06:05 PM
I have seen abundance of afghans with skin similar or lighter than him, myself and my own family members included . The massive difference is not take afghans from Afghanistan as the criteria since many are exposed to the sun all year round every single day . Studied show untanned areas of skin is white pigmented although not all are like that .

Same with me, for some reason my face is darker than my body. It's only melanin tbh

Unknown European
05-08-2020, 06:17 PM
People look vastly different from region to region there are probably a few regions you could pass in but you probably would rarely look like a typical inhabitant in the vast majority of regions this was a Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/Mehbooba_Mufti.jpg she could probably pass in a few Eastern or Southern European populations. and she could definitely pass as a Kurd or Persian

zodzod
05-08-2020, 06:26 PM
People look vastly different from region to region there are probably a few regions you could pass in but you probably would rarely look like a typical inhabitant in the vast majority of regions this was a Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/Mehbooba_Mufti.jpg she could probably pass in a few Eastern or Southern European populations. and she could definitely pass as a Kurd or Persian

So apart from Northern Pakistan there's nowhere where I could pass as a local?

Avicenna
05-08-2020, 06:56 PM
So apart from Northern Pakistan there's nowhere where I could pass as a local?
I don't see you passing in North Indian or eastern/southern Pakistan at all

Unknown European
05-08-2020, 06:57 PM
https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?189938-Classify-Kashmiri-people

Kashmirs you could probably pass they are in North India this is a thread classifying them

Khamzat
05-08-2020, 06:58 PM
His skin isn't even 'too light' for Pakistan let alone Afghanistan, its his features that make him foreign not skin colour.

Unknown European
05-08-2020, 07:03 PM
There is a Indo-Nordic type sometimes found in Paki's and North Indians

http://humanphenotypes.net/IndoNordic.html

Avicii86
05-08-2020, 07:05 PM
You'd stick out like a sore thumb

Avicenna
05-08-2020, 07:18 PM

That website is utter bs LOL don't know why people are still referencing it

Avicenna
05-08-2020, 07:19 PM

That website is utter bs LOL don't know why people are still referencing it

zodzod
05-08-2020, 07:32 PM

Yes true but I don't have nordid facial features

zodzod
05-08-2020, 07:42 PM
His skin isn't even 'too light' for Pakistan let alone Afghanistan, its his features that make him foreign not skin colour.

Northern Pakistan I agree, you can find people with similar skin tones. Anyway would I look too atypical in Pakistan to pass as a local?

Avicenna
05-08-2020, 08:21 PM
Northern Pakistan I agree, you can find people with similar skin tones. Anyway would I look too atypical in Pakistan to pass as a local?

Bro I told you , you can pass easily in the northern /western regions if you wore traditional attire

Avicenna
05-08-2020, 08:23 PM

Bro I told you , you can pass easily in the northern /western regions if you wore traditional attire

zodzod
05-08-2020, 08:32 PM

Okay thanks

lockdownboredom
05-09-2020, 01:59 AM
You are too handsome to pass ;)

Konstantinos
05-09-2020, 02:07 AM
Dumb question, but could I possibly pass in South Asia? So if I walk down the streets of Islamabad or New Delhi, could I pass as a local? Or would people realise straight away that I'm European?98397

I'm thinking about visiting Pakistan and India one day, so I'm curious. Opinions from South Asians are valued.

You are too white to pass there.

Adamm
05-09-2020, 02:15 AM
I don't think you could pass there, you could only pass in Armenia, Turkey, Georgia, and maybe Lebanon/Israel and Greek Islands.

Mingle
05-09-2020, 02:50 AM

The easternmost ethnicities you could pass as are probably Shina/Chitrali (North Pakistan) and Pashtun.

happycow
05-09-2020, 03:00 AM
No

Zoro
05-09-2020, 03:18 AM
You have already been told by a couple of Afghans and Pakistanis you can pass. Since theyre far more familiar about those areas than the Europeans and N. Africans I would put alot more weight in their opinion than anyone else if i were you.

There was a kurd from turkey here i forgot his user name. You are sort of a western shifted version of him imo. As soon as you say something though they ll be able to figure out you’re not

yamagi
05-09-2020, 05:39 AM
Maybe as some kind of Anglo-Indian mestizo, otherwise not, I've never seen any Indian IRL who resemble you

Mortimer
05-09-2020, 08:57 AM
Who looks more southasian. Me or the OP?

https://i.postimg.cc/fTpy7bKs/IMG-3003.jpg

Pro.crasti.nation
05-09-2020, 09:21 AM
Who looks more southasian. Me or the OP?

https://i.postimg.cc/fTpy7bKs/IMG-3003.jpg

As funny as it will sound, your arms look South Asian, imo. It's the level of hairiness ...

Your face looks eastern European, to me. As does Ops.

Overall, I'd say you look more desi, as a result of the arms.

Mortimer
05-09-2020, 09:28 AM
As funny as it will sound, your arms look South Asian, imo. It's the level of hairiness ...

Your face looks eastern European, to me. As does Ops.

Overall, I'd say you look more desi, as a result of the arms.

Yes bro my arms are quiete hairy. I was bullied for it, then I had insecurity and shaved my arms and then they laughed that Im effiminate fagg. I stopped shaving my arms be a man, be a desi be a hairy guy.

Pro.crasti.nation
05-09-2020, 09:41 AM
Yes bro my arms are quiete hairy. I was bullied for it, then I had insecurity and shaved my arms and then they laughed that Im effiminate fagg. I stopped shaving my arms be a man, be a desi be a hairy guy.

That's quite surprising. I grew up with lots of Bengali friends and they were lacking in body hair, whereas I am as hairy as you. I think it's just cold adaptation.

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=88458&d=1559601232

My primary school teacher had really hairy forearms. So I never felt it was odd. Didn't realise it was a desi thing, until I saw more Punjabi and Pakistani desis.

My ex had blonde hair on her arms, really weird.

Trouble
05-09-2020, 09:55 AM
Fuk no

zodzod
05-09-2020, 09:56 AM
You have already been told by a couple of Afghans and Pakistanis you can pass. Since theyre far more familiar about those areas than the Europeans and N. Africans I would put alot more weight in their opinion than anyone else if i were you.

There was a kurd from turkey here i forgot his user name. You are sort of a western shifted version of him imo. As soon as you say something though they ll be able to figure out you’re not

I understand what your saying, but the opinions of everyone is accepted and appreciated :) and you can't really compare a west asian ethnicity with a south asian one, especially when one considers the amount of European influences west asia experienced...

Trouble
05-09-2020, 10:00 AM

Western shifted Afghans look west Asian not straight up Med-Euro like the OP. He can’t really pass anywhere in the region

Mortimer
05-09-2020, 10:02 AM
That's quite surprising. I grew up with lots of Bengali friends and they were lacking in body hair, whereas I am as hairy as you. I think it's just cold adaptation.

My primary school teacher had really hairy forearms. So I never felt it was odd. Didn't realise it was a desi thing, until I saw more Punjabi and Pakistani desis.

My ex had blonde hair on her arms, really weird.

The austrian kids made fun of me for being hairy. They associated it with a non-caucasian non-european trait like "ethnikkid" how they term that on TA.

Pro.crasti.nation
05-09-2020, 10:06 AM
The austrian kids made fun of me for being hairy. They associated it with a non-caucasian non-european trait like "ethnikkid" how they term that on TA.

Hmm, well I guess I was lucky to have been born and raised in the north of England. Lots of English men have hairy arms, it's not unusual at all. Also, Sean Connery and the whole '70s hairy chest/sex symbol thing was cool ... Of course these days the aesthetic has totally changed.

zodzod
05-09-2020, 10:06 AM

That's ridiculous. I've seen several englishmen who are very hairy

zodzod
05-09-2020, 10:17 AM

They bullied you on your hairiness?? Your hairinesss isn't exactly the most 'non-euro' aspect of yours

Mortimer
05-09-2020, 10:18 AM
They bullied you on your hairiness?? Your hairinesss isn't exactly the most 'non-euro' aspect of yours

The hairiness wasnt the only thing I was bullied for. There were many things, but it was one of the things. And I know it isnt the most non-euro about me.

Mixdguy17
05-09-2020, 10:20 AM
Op but u dont look distinctly south asian, u look more euro than the other

zodzod
05-09-2020, 10:22 AM
Op but u dont look distinctly south asian, u look more euro than the other

Yeah ik I was wondering if I could pass there without arising suspicions

zodzod
05-09-2020, 10:27 AM
The hairiness wasnt the only thing I was bullied for. There were many things, but it was one of the things. And I know it isnt the most non-euro about me.

Morti you should have just punched them in the face. Show 'em whose boss

Mixdguy17
05-09-2020, 11:01 AM

Morti, abundant body hair is a common trait in the Mediterranean, be proud of it, it's nothing for people to mak fun of, I mean how were they, 8? dont listen to them buddy

zodzod
05-09-2020, 11:56 AM
Morti, abundant body hair is a common trait in the Mediterranean, be proud of it, it's nothing for people to mak fun of, I mean how were they, 8? dont listen to them buddy

Lol I'm actually hairy than him, body hair doesn't actually mean anything significant from a racial perspective. Caucosoids have the highest amount of hair

Avicenna
05-09-2020, 12:52 PM
Western shifted Afghans look west Asian not straight up Med-Euro like the OP. He can’t really pass anywhere in the region

Op is not straight up med euro though lol

lameduck
05-09-2020, 02:22 PM
He looks like west shifted version of pak pashtun member mingle to me kind of

zodzod
05-09-2020, 02:31 PM

??? Greece is a Med and Euro country....

zodzod
05-09-2020, 02:36 PM
He looks like west shifted version of pak pashtun member mingle to me kind of

Idk, Armenoid and Mtebid are pretty rare in south asia, though I did ask if I could pass and as a south Asian yourself if you believe that I could pass I will accept and respect your opinion

Avicenna
05-09-2020, 02:39 PM
??? Greece is a Med and Euro country....

No bro you misunderstood my point . I was talking about your phenotype not ethnicity . You are European . But you are far from the typical med euro look .

zodzod
05-09-2020, 02:40 PM
No bro you misunderstood my point . I was talking about your phenotype not ethnicity . You are European . But you are far from the typical med euro look .

Oh right. What would you classify me as then?

CommonSense
05-09-2020, 02:46 PM
Funny how many Afghans, Pakistanis and South Asians say this dude can pass in South Asia, yet they instantly dismiss Gypsies for being 'too mixed' even though they are CONSIDERABLY darker than OP :bored:

zodzod
05-09-2020, 02:47 PM
Funny how many Afghans, Pakistanis and South Asians say this dude can pass in South Asia, yet they instantly dismiss Gypsies for being 'too mixed' even though they are CONSIDERABLY darker than OP :bored:

So you think I can't pass?

CommonSense
05-09-2020, 02:52 PM
So you think I can't pass?

You can only pass as a Pashtun, and even not typical for them. Feature wise you are like Armenians, Turks and people from the Caucasus.

Mortimer
05-09-2020, 02:58 PM

Not lameduck though he classifies all my relatives and myself as Pakistani and as handsome Borealis does that but he said as well this dude can not pass

zodzod
05-09-2020, 02:59 PM
You can only pass as a Pashtun, and even not typical for them. Feature wise you are like Armenians, Turks and people from the Caucasus.

Thanks. Off topic, but do you think I could pass amongst north Caucasus people, like dagestanis and ossetians?

CommonSense
05-09-2020, 03:15 PM
Thanks. Off topic, but do you think I could pass amongst north Caucasus people, like dagestanis and ossetians?

Yeah, the stereotypical appearance they have is a bit different from yours, but you can blend in easily. It's enough to just google some group photos and see for yourself.

zodzod
05-09-2020, 03:17 PM
Yeah, the stereotypical appearance they have is a bit different from yours, but you can blend in easily. It's enough to just google some group photos and see for yourself.

Thank you very much for your assistance. I was just curious in knowing if the difference in phenotype amongst north and south Caucasians was too significant to the extent that I couldn't pass there.

CommonSense
05-09-2020, 03:25 PM
Thank you very much for your assistance. I was just curious in knowing if the difference in phenotype amongst north and south Caucasians was too significant to the extent that I couldn't pass there.

The only difference I've noticed is that North Caucasians are visibly more robust and have slightly more individuals with light pigmentation.

zodzod
05-09-2020, 03:36 PM
The only difference I've noticed is that North Caucasians are visibly more robust and have slightly more individuals with light pigmentation.

True, but since my pigmentation is lighter than the average Armenian I think I could pass rather easily there too (I did what you suggested, and searched up some photos and pigmentation wise I wouldn't be alien in Dagestan or Ossetia)

Avicenna
05-09-2020, 03:41 PM

I said he can only pass in Pakistan pashtun areas in South Asia, nowhere else. And yes his features wouldn't be typical either . Afghanistan is not in south Asia so I wouldn't mention it . But I get his point , hes asking if he passes in India and the answer is a resounding no.

Pro.crasti.nation
05-09-2020, 03:44 PM

Really? Most South Asians, in this thread, have expressed scepticism, at the least, as to whether he could "pass".

I said he could pass, as part of the huge diversity of the region, but not without raising questions.

And I explicitly said Mortimer was more desi-like, than op.

Mortimer
05-09-2020, 03:48 PM
I was first to comment I said he passes as kurd and Afghanistan meant as pashtun

zodzod
05-09-2020, 06:23 PM
I said he can only pass in Pakistan pashtun areas in South Asia, nowhere else. And yes his features wouldn't be typical either . Afghanistan is not in south Asia so I wouldn't mention it . But I get his point , hes asking if he passes in India and the answer is a resounding no.

Thank you, I've got my answer. However, I'm curious to know, in the big cities (e.g Islamabad) if people see me there would they mistake me for a Pashtun from the north or a foreigner?

Avicenna
05-09-2020, 06:40 PM
Thank you, I've got my answer. However, I'm curious to know, in the big cities (e.g Islamabad) if people see me there would they mistake me for a Pashtun from the north or a foreigner?

I'm certain they would assume you to be from the northern/western parts of the country . That includes pashtun. The term Pashtun in Pakistan can mean more of a ethno linguistic term too .