PDA

View Full Version : most interesting names in your country

Hercus Monte
08-21-2013, 11:49 AM
what are the most interesting given names in your country?

Kiyant
08-21-2013, 11:51 AM
non oghuz Turkic names i think.

Hercus Monte
08-21-2013, 01:10 PM
some popular Lithuanian names that are common here but less common in the rest of Europe.

<tbody>
male
female

Vytautas, Gediminas, Algirdas, Vėjas, Aidas, Aitvaras, Šarūnas, Kastytis, Žilvinas, Jogaila, Linas, Nėris, Kęstutis, Žydrūnas, Giedrius, Gintaras
Eglė, Ūla, Vilija, Saulė, Aušrinė, Aušra, Audra, Rasa, Birutė, Gražina, Živilė, Daiva, Jūratė, Gabija, Laima, Danutė, Miglė

</tbody>

justme
08-23-2013, 11:18 PM
The greatest thing about Lithuanian names is they either end in -as -ius -aite or -iene

Hercus Monte
08-24-2013, 09:11 AM
The greatest thing about Lithuanian names is they either end in -as -ius -aite or -iene
not necessarily, our last names can also end in -a, -e

Thrax
08-24-2013, 09:19 AM

Almost all male greek names also end in -s, except for some archaic ones that can also end in -on (like Platon or Solon)

Petros Houhoulis
08-25-2013, 02:40 PM
some popular Lithuanian names that are common here but less common in the rest of Europe.

<tbody>
male
female

Vytautas, Gediminas, Algirdas, Vėjas, Aidas, Aitvaras, Šarūnas, Kastytis, Žilvinas, Jogaila, Linas, Nėris, Kęstutis, Žydrūnas, Giedrius, Gintaras
Eglė, Ūla, Vilija, Saulė, Aušrinė, Aušra, Audra, Rasa, Birutė, Gražina, Živilė, Daiva, Jūratė, Gabija, Laima, Danutė, Miglė

</tbody>

Lithuanian shares with Greek the same ancient phonological order for male and female words.. Males end with consonants, and all Lithuanian ones end with an -s except for Jogaila, and all female names end with a vowel. What I do not know yet is whether the Lithuanians maintain the Ancient rule of having all neutral words ending in -o.

Roy
08-25-2013, 02:45 PM
About Polish surnames ...

1/3 of Polish surnames has suffixes -ski or -dzki/cki. :)
There is some misconception that majority of these people has noble origins but this is not true.

Hercus Monte
08-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Lithuanian shares with Greek the same ancient phonological order for male and female words.. Males end with consonants, and all Lithuanian ones end with an -s except for Jogaila, and all female names end with a vowel. What I do not know yet is whether the Lithuanians maintain the Ancient rule of having all neutral words ending in -o.
we don't have gender neutral words.

justme
08-25-2013, 10:10 PM

Actually it was more Illyrians who shared name endings similar to Lithuanians... Illyrians had their named ending with -ius and -ias mainly..

RandoBloom
08-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Bato/Baton for males. Teuta for females.

justme
08-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Bato/Baton for males. Teuta for females.

Baton and teuta are Albanian names..

RandoBloom
08-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Baton and teuta are Albanian names..

We use them too, although rarer than muslim names.

justme
08-25-2013, 10:20 PM
We use them too, although rarer than muslim names.

I know you do.. Teuta is very very common in kosovo..

RandoBloom
08-25-2013, 10:22 PM
I know you do.. Teuta is very very common in kosovo..

Glad to hear :)
Baton was from Desidiates of Bosnia after all :)
And Teuta is from here too I think :)

justme
08-25-2013, 10:48 PM
The most weirdest but cool name I heard from my country is Glauk for a male..

In Kosovo people usually name their kids...

Male
Agron
Agon
Arben
Arlind
Gentian
Genc
Lorik
Adrian (from Adriatic)
Arber
Albion
Artan
Besnik
Drilon
Ilir
Dardan

This is the weirdest I've seen they are male names.. Some of them are of Greek origin..

http://www.emrashqiptare.com/boy-mashkullore-baby-names/p

As for women
Adea
Arberesha
Arta
Antigona
Adriana (from Adriatic)
Albulena
Ardita
Aferdita
Alketa
Besjana
Borbardha (snow white)
Aurela
Dafina
Dardana/dardanesha
Dorentina/Dorontina
Donjeta
Donika
Kaltrina
Kanarina
Gentiana
Teuta
Trendafile (I think in Albanian it translates to "the 30th leaf, or 30 leaves.. It means rose)

Most of the name are driven from Illyrian... And other paleo balkanic origins...

justme
08-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Glad to hear :)
Baton was from Desidiates of Bosnia after all :)
And Teuta is from here too I think :)

Teuta was actually from Dalmatia.. Ancient Dalmatians were Illyrians..

RandoBloom
08-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Teuta was actually from Dalmatia.. Ancient Dalmatians were Illyrians..
I know, Delmati tribe.

Svipdag
08-26-2013, 12:55 AM
How about Fleetus L. Gobble, Jr. ? Can you imagine, if you had a name like Fleetus L. Gobble, inflicting it on your son ? He lives in North Carolina. There is also one Lispenard Pfister. He lives(d) in Statesville, NC.

Wadaad
08-26-2013, 01:07 AM
"Aideed" (He refuses insults)
"Robleh" (His prayers for rain are answered)
"Kundile" (He killed One thousand)
'Jindibo' (Evil spirits avoid him)
"Waraabe" (Hyena man)

justme
08-26-2013, 02:03 AM
Fukarada- sounds like fu)k her harder..

Ice
08-26-2013, 02:05 AM
^lol

Ryujin
11-11-2018, 03:17 AM
Satilmis. It means 'sold out'.

Nazarene
11-11-2018, 03:20 AM
A lot of people use Te Reo names to make their kid sound exotic in New Zealand, even if they're fully european/pakeha absolute tryhards.

Mikula
11-13-2018, 07:49 PM
IMHO the most unique Czech firstname is ŠÁRKA.
De facto it is an artificial name - it is a name of fictional character in Czech legend Maidens' War (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maidens%27_War).
This legend appears in Czech chronicles since 12th century, and the more recent the chronicle was, the longer
and more detailed the stories were.
In version written in 1539, the author of the chronicle (Václav Hájek (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenceslaus_Hajek))
add new characters to the story - one of them was female warrior named Šárka.
He used a geographical name for the personal name.
Šárka (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divok%C3%A1_%C5%A0%C3%A1rka)is a name of rocky, forested area in Prague suburb.
Ethymology of the name is pre-Slavic, šárka is compared with Spanish sierra, Corsican sarra,
and Albanian sharane - and all of the terms is related with rocks and mountains.

Veneda
11-13-2018, 08:06 PM
De facto it is an artificial name - it is a name of fictional character in Czech legend Maidens' War (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maidens%27_War).
This legend appears in Czech chronicles since 12th century, and the more recent the chronicle was, the longer
In version written in 1539, the author of the chronicle (Václav Hájek (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenceslaus_Hajek))
Šárka (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divok%C3%A1_%C5%A0%C3%A1rka)is a name of rocky, forested area in Prague suburb.
Ethymology of the name is pre-Slavic, šárka is compared with Spanish sierra, Corsican sarra,
and Albanian sharane - and all of the terms is related with rocks and mountains.

Šárka sounds like Polish 'szarka' and I would associate, it as a native Pole, with adjective 'szara', which means 'gray', ie. for me 'szarka' is a girl with gray/ashy hair or a girl who wears gray clothes. She can be 'gray' also because of the dirt or dust

Mens-Sarda
11-13-2018, 08:11 PM

It could be related to Latin "Serra" (saw). It has the same meaning in Sardinian language, in fact there are many mountains in Sardinia named "Sa Serra" (the saw), because of the sharp profile that looks like a saw blade. The same in Corsica, there is a mountains range named "La Serra" (the saw) in the long and thin peninsula at the north east of the island.

Blondie
11-13-2018, 08:12 PM
Lakatos Britniszpirsz, Kolompár Szméagol

Joso
11-13-2018, 08:13 PM
Windersson. Cannot find any name more beautiful than this one

Mikula
11-13-2018, 08:18 PM
It could be related to Latin "Serra" (saw). It has the same meaning in Sardinian language, in fact there are many mountains in Sardinia named "Sa Serra" (the saw), because of the sharp profile that looks like a saw blade.
Looking at this video about Divoká Šárka, I think that the comparision with saw make sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=Mor-5EJ2V-8

Mens-Sarda
11-13-2018, 08:37 PM
In Sardinia there are many personal names present only here and unknown in Italy.

Italianized version - Sardinian version

Gavino - Gavíne, Gabíne, Gaíne (compare it with the English "Gavin, Kevin", or French "Gabin") - the Sardinian name derives from the martyr Gabinius or Gabinus, his tomb is in the town of Porto Torres, in northern Sardinia.
Bachisio - Báchis (pronounce "Bákis", with sibilant S, like the Z in English) - derives from Latin "Bacchisius" = son or servant of the god Bacchus.
Gonario - Gonáre, Gunáre (in the middle ages there were other variants like Gunnári, Gunnáre) - compare it with the Scandinavian "Gunnar", this name is perhaps a relic of the Vandals' presence in Sardinia.
Billía - Compare with the English "Bill or Billy", diminutives of William.

Others strange and perhaps Germanic names were documented in Sardinia during the middle ages, but they are now extinct.

Othokor, Ithokor - Germanic "Othokar", known in Latin as "Odoacar" = Odoacer
Thorben or Latinized in Thorbenius or Thorbeniu - Compare with old Scandinavian names like "Thorvin, Thorfin, Thorwin"
Thorgdor, Thorgodor, Thorgotor, Trogodor often was Latinized in Thorgodoriu, Thorgodori, Trogodori

gıulıoımpa
11-13-2018, 08:42 PM
i would say lombard(Longobard) names (which are adapted names so they sound funny)

-Astuilfo

-Teodolinda

-Alboino

-Adelchi

-Adalberta

also animal names are cool Such as

-Lupo

-Orso

-Leone

Papastratosels26
11-13-2018, 09:02 PM
Socrates, Isidoros, Cleomenis, Efrosini, Virginia etc.

Στάλθηκε από το G3311 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk