Australia
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 27,004/118
    Given: 30,960/22

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ćđelfriţ View Post
    What do Italians think about it?
    Are you in favor of Ius Sanguinis?
    If so, do you think it should have a generational limit?
    Do you think a real Italian should have a minimum percentage of Italian ancestry?
    Or do you think people with not a single drop of Italian blood who were born there are more Italian than people who have Italian blood but weren't born in Italy?
    Or maybe you're against both and think Italians should only be those born in Italy by ethnic Italian parents?
    Are you in favor of Dual Citizenship?
    Birthright citizenship is open to abuse which is why Ireland had to stop it.

There is a difference between civic citizenship and being an Italian or any other ethnicity. It's fairly obvious and I don't see why people have issues with understanding the difference. You can have Italian citizenship but that doesn't mean you are Italian in the ethnic sense. I'm ethnically Irish but have Australian citizenship.

Or do you think people with not a single drop of Italian blood who were born there are more Italian than people who have Italian blood but weren't born in Italy?
    It depends on if you think Italian is an ethnicity or that being Italian is just being born there. I think that being Italian is being of that heritage and is genetic. I don't think a person who is born in Italy but of Chinese parentage is Italian. There is nothing wrong with this either. I'm from an immigrant background and have no issues with understanding that my heritage is Irish but I'm Australian by citizenship. I also know that I'm not the same as someone who has spent all their life in Ireland as you are naturally influenced by the country you are raised in. Your parentage influences you also and I'm not the same as someone raised in Australia who has Indian parents. The world is changing and there are many people now born in countries that they have no ancestral ties to.

Yes I think dual citizenship is fine. No reason why you can't have citizenship from the country of your ancestors as well as the country you call home.

Hatchling
    Last Online
    09-18-2024 @ 02:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ibero-italian
    Country
    Italy
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 1/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I'm biased since I'm having my italian citizenship recognized, but I think Jus Sanguinis is the best option, not only for Italy but for every "Old World" country.

This citizenship by culture is an absolutely ridiculous concept leftists created to give free citizenship for the slaves they invited to replace natives, good to know they were able to prevent this new law from happening.

I think in Italy and other countries in Europe, Africa and Asia, Jus Soli shouldn't exist at all. I understand in the New World you kind of need it, since the natives were sadly decimated, but if you already have a native population, what's the point of allowing foreigners with no connection to your country to become citizens? Do you need specialized labor? Educate your own citizens to do the job. Do you need to grow your population? Incentivate your own citizens to have more kids. Jus Soli mostly only allows random people to go to your country by questionable means, pump out some kids and making their bloodline citizens forever.

Now, Jus Sanguinis laws in Italy are not perfect, you have a small group of people with very small quantity of italian genes and cultural connections that are able to get their citizenship recognized, I personally witnessed asian and african looking people succeeding in that. You also have the problem of the italian citizenship industry, where a growing number of people, who are becoming the majority of applicants, are recognizing their citizenship only to have access to the Schengen area or easier access to Ireland, Britain and the US, without even setting their foot in Italy.

The best solution, in my opinion, is requiring a certain level of knowledge of the italian language and culture, because if you limit it by generation you are essencially cutting off access to the "fatherland" from thousands of ethnic italians living in communities and colonies abroad, who left in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, which are the majority of people who emigrated. The non-italian-looking ones are the minority of applicants, the majority are people like me who have a great chunk of their genes coming from Italy, have strong cultural and religious ties to the country and actually want to live there, that's why I've been learning italian for some years already even if it wouldn't be necessary to acquire the citizenship, so it's not really a big problem.

Meanwhile, requiring proficiency would profoundly disencourage or even put a stop to the citizenship industry, those people are doing it because it requires no effort from their part. Believe me, the moment you start to require that effort they will just go for another easier way to get what they want, like trying to marry a citizen or having kids inside the country's borders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information