Y-DNA
    R-DF27 (R1b1a2a1a2a) R-Y3267
    mtDNA
    H6A1B
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,090
    Given: 10,850

0 Not allowed!

Blondie...Do you look a bit like Galadriel ?
    I've never seen one of your pics tbh

Atlantean Pale Baron Todesritter's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-07-2023 @ 09:45 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Austro-Hungarian
    Ancestry
    Western Slavic + Germanic Cisleithanian ancestral HRE mix
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid + Faelid
    Politics
    Anarcho-monarchist spiritually stratified ethnostate
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 308
    Given: 134

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    You just claimed that Galadriel was never an armored fighter, according to canon its not true. If Galadriel did not know anything about fight then Tolkien wouldn't have mention her as member of an army.
    Galadriel had some magical power before the Nenya, as every noldor elf has such power thats called Goeteia. The ring maked it much stronger and she focused on this power. Actions of Galadriel is mosly unknown during the ages, just because she was ruler it doesnt mean she never fought. Tolkien did not write her all actions.
    Btw the character of Galadriel was well represented in the series, she always has been a rebellious type.
    There are no other instances of Galadriel fighting in the melee other than the first kinslaying at Alqualondë, where half of the combatants fought with improvised weapons, and afterwards she did not participate directly in the wars of the first age. That's what I meant when I said she was never an armoured fighter. Her taking up weapons at Alqualondë to prevent deaths of her Telerin relatives does not invalidate this, or the fact that she did not get openly involved in conflict alongside her brothers, or those volunteers of Doriath (Beleg and Mablung only, in fact), who took part in the Nírnaeth Arnoediad, because Thingol didn't actively prevent anyone and she was not his subject anyway. She was not mentioned as a member of an army, but a member of the host that left Aman after the darkening, not all of whom went for purposes of revenge - this is where it's explicitly mentioned that despite her disagreement with, and open dislike of Fëanor she wanted to go east as she had ambitions of finding and ruling lands of her own. I think reducing her to some vagabond running around with a sword and acting like a YA teenage protagonist is very reductionist and makes her a more stereotypical, worse character than an initially selfishly motivated but ultimately very intelligent ruler who alone had the foresight to be wary of the developing situation, and robbing her of maturity to provide some plot is cheap.

And the power is called ósanwë and all elves, not just the Noldor, are capable of it, but Galadriel was nonetheless both gifted and taught in various 'arts' that could be called magical by Melian, as well as naturally gifted with foresight. Nenya only amplified her power, again. What we know of her in the Second Age is that she and Celeborn had established rule in Eregion, then moved over the Misty Mountains into Lothlórien to establish a new kingdom after the Gwaith-i-Mírdain predominantly under Celebrimbor had more or less taken over Eregion. In the meantime, she had a child, Celebrían, who would later become Elrond's wife.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Austro-Hungarian
    Ancestry
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid + Faelid
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Out of curiosity, did you read the Silmarillion (and HoME, if you've read it) in the original English version, or in translation? Because the misunderstanding between 'host' and 'army' might come from a faulty or imperfect translation. The 'host' - which is the name uniformly used in the original text - is not only composed of warriors, but of all Noldor exiles that left Aman, including wives, children and noncombatants, and in no way implies that all the exiles were warriors or even interested in war.

AUDENTES FORTUNA IUVAT RobocopReturns's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-04-2024 @ 09:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic, Romance
    Ethnicity
    3/4 Croatian, 1/4 North Italian
    Country
    Croatia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid+CM
    Politics
    Direct Democracy
    Hero
    CHUCK YEAGER
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 243
    Given: 139

0 Not allowed!

The Rings of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS POWER
    Audentes Fortuna Iuvat

Last Online
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    Donauschwabe
    Country
    Hungary
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,465
    Given: 9,950

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Todesritter View Post
    Galadriel grew beautiful and tall, even for the women of the Noldor, being strong of body, will, and mind, "a match for both the loremasters and the athletes of the Eldar in the days of their youth."[9]
    Letter 348:

Indeed, "she was then of Amazon disposition and bound up her hair as a crown when taking part in athletic feats". This custom was the origin of her Sindarin name Galadriel ("Maiden crowned with gleaming hair"),[10]
    Even though she was one of the leaders in this revolt,[13] during the troubles that followed she fought fiercely against Fëanor by defending her mother's kin during the Kinslaying at Alqualondë and the rape of the ships.
    In Second Age:

Circa the year 500, Sauron began to stir in Middle-earth again,[28] but his name was not known. He was, however, perceived by Galadriel, who noticed there was a controlling evil, and that it was spreading above the world, coming from the East beyond the Misty Mountains. She also thought this 'residue of evil' could only be fought with an alliance of all its enemies.
    https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Galadriel

So Galadriel was basically correct in the Rings of Powers, except there is no source that she was warrior in the Second Age, but the sources about Galadriel is very limited at this time.

About magic, "goeteia" was the creation power (Letter 155):

They used goeteia entirely for artistic effects because to Elves the result was as obvious to them as the difference between fiction, painting, sculpture and life is to us (although Elvish goeteia might deceive or bewilder unaware Men).
    https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Letter_155

Ósanwë is a different thing, its rather the telepathy:

Ósanwe is an inherent ability that all Ainur and Incarnates possess, however the power is lessened by having a body or hröa, so it is generally weaker for Elves and especially for Men. All minds are "equal in status, though they differ in capacity and strength." A mind can only be communicated to with ósanwe if it is open (sanwe-latya, "thought opening, telepathy").
    https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/%C3%93sanw%C3%AB

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Colonial Virginia + Central and Eastern Europe
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Mississippi
    Politics
    Nullifier
    Hero
    John C. Calhoun
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21,151
    Given: 11,139

0 Not allowed!

Multiculturalist trash.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Austro-Hungarian
    Ancestry
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid + Faelid
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Letter 348:

[...]

In Second Age:

https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Galadriel

So Galadriel was basically correct in the Rings of Powers, except there is no source that she was warrior in the Second Age, but the sources about Galadriel is very limited at this time.
    Yes, and none of this in any way, shape or form proves her partaking in direct combat more than once, which was at Alqualondë, it only states that she was athletic and tall and anything else is conjecture. I don't recall having any attested elvish women fighting on their own volition outside of dire circumstances; none, at least, marching to battle by design rather than fighting in defense of their home or kin when attacked. Women, especially magically gifted ones like Galadriel and Lúthien, fought with spell and song, but nowhere they are shown engaging in battle in the same way as the men; I can't remember the exact source, but I recall Tolkien writing somewhere that fighting with weapons and killing interferes spiritually with life-preserving abilities, having children and healing.

The omission of her family and role as a ruler is also incorrect. Her response to the evil waking is helping establish kingdoms, arrange alliances and pass counsel; she had shown inclination towards politics and a keen ability to discern trouble in the first age already, and when Sauron arrived to the Gwaith-i-Mírdain she was not deceived by him and recognized his lie when he claimed to be a Maia of Aulë. In response to him endearing himself to the smiths of Eregion, she went east and established a different, secure realm in Lothlórien. Galadriel had always been a politician, which is perceptible in her initial motivation ("she had dreams of far lands and dominions that might be her own to order as she would without tutelage") to leave Aman despite gross disagreement with Fëanor, and as such a depiction of her running around Middle-earth 'questing' with a sword is inconsistent with the lore and her depiction in the books no matter how you look at it, and a proof of the show creators not understanding, nor attempting to understand the source material because they needed another 'action girl'.

About magic, "goeteia" was the creation power (Letter 155)

Ósanwë is a different thing, its rather the telepathy
    misreading on my part in the prior post

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Donauschwabe
    Country
    Hungary
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Yes, and none of this in any way, shape or form proves her partaking in direct combat more than once, which was at Alqualondë, it only states that she was athletic and tall and anything else is conjecture. I don't recall having any attested elvish women fighting on their own volition outside of dire circumstances; none, at least, marching to battle by design rather than fighting in defense of their home or kin when attacked. Women, especially magically gifted ones like Galadriel and Lúthien, fought with spell and song, but nowhere they are shown engaging in battle in the same way as the men; I can't remember the exact source, but I recall Tolkien writing somewhere that fighting with weapons and killing interferes spiritually with life-preserving abilities, having children and healing.

The omission of her family and role as a ruler is also incorrect. Her response to the evil waking is helping establish kingdoms, arrange alliances and pass counsel; she had shown inclination towards politics and a keen ability to discern trouble in the first age already, and when Sauron arrived to the Gwaith-i-Mírdain she was not deceived by him and recognized his lie when he claimed to be a Maia of Aulë. In response to him endearing himself to the smiths of Eregion, she went east and established a different, secure realm in Lothlórien. Galadriel had always been a politician, which is perceptible in her initial motivation ("she had dreams of far lands and dominions that might be her own to order as she would without tutelage") to leave Aman despite gross disagreement with Fëanor, and as such a depiction of her running around Middle-earth 'questing' with a sword is inconsistent with the lore and her depiction in the books no matter how you look at it, and a proof of the show creators not understanding, nor attempting to understand the source material because they needed another 'action girl'.
    I dont agree with this logic. Pls post a source that describes Gimli as warrior or participant of any battle before the War of the Ring. There is no such source, so by your logic Gimli was not warrior before the last years of Third Age. Of course this is not true because according to books he already was very expert warrior during the War of the Ring. Just because Galadriel was not participant of great battles (except the kinslaying), it doesnt necessarily means that she knew nothing about fight. There were tons of minor battles that Tolkien did not mention, or they can train themselves. There are signs that Galadriel was a warrior in some time period, not just the kinslaying war, but her characteristic too "strong of body, will, and mind" or Feanor gathered such noldors who wanted to fight against Morgoth, i have read a letter that Galadriel was the only woman (!!) in this group. It was an armored army that wanted revenge on Morgoth. Seeing her age, obviously Galadriel was more expert warrior than any orc or human, because she had thousands of years for that.

In the Second Age Galadriel was almost the only one who did not trust Annatar, and she did care about this Sauron danger, but others arent. Although Tolkien did not mention her as warrior during the Second Age but the basic idea of the series that Galadriel leads this anti-Sauron alliance/investigation is true. Unfortunately there are no canonical infos that how Galadriel did it exactly because Tolkien did not explain every single thing what happened at this time and what Galadriel did. So the makers of RoP choosed this warrior Galadriel type, and this is not against the canon because she had such amazon behaviour in the some time period in the past. I dont see problem with it. Not Galadriel is the problem with RoP, but such things like:
    1. adult elves looks same aged
    2. there are no sea monsters
    3. the mithril was not result of elf vs balrog fight
    4. returning back to Valinor is not a "gift" but mandatory thing for every elf
    etc etc

I am very sensitive in the case of woke, but i did not see any woke in the series except this racial diversity "black elf" black dwarf" bullshit, but thats all. The RoP is pretty fair, they dont show any homosexuality, or non canonical race mixing like elf vs dwarf. There is only one race mixing, bettwen a black elf and a mena looking southern woman. The elf & man mixing was ultra rare but sometimes its happened, Elrond is a half-elf, or the House of Dol Amroth also has some distant elvish ancestry. So im okay with this couple.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    East Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Austro-Hungarian
    Ancestry
    Country
    European Union
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid + Faelid
    Politics
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I dont agree with this logic. Pls post a source that describes Gimli as warrior or participant of any battle before the War of the Ring. There is no such source, so by your logic Gimli was not warrior before the last years of Third Age. Of course this is not true because according to books he already was very expert warrior during the War of the Ring. Just because Galadriel was not participant of great battles (except the kinslaying), it doesnt necessarily means that she knew nothing about fight. There were tons of minor battles that Tolkien did not mention, or they can train themselves. There are signs that Galadriel was a warrior in some time period, not just the kinslaying war, but her characteristic too "strong of body, will, and mind" or Feanor gathered such noldors who wanted to fight against Morgoth, i have read a letter that Galadriel was the only woman (!!) in this group. It was an armored army that wanted revenge on Morgoth. Seeing her age, obviously Galadriel was more expert warrior than any orc or human, because she had thousands of years for that.

In the Second Age Galadriel was almost the only one who did not trust Annatar, and she did care about this Sauron danger, but others arent. Although Tolkien did not mention her as warrior during the Second Age but the basic idea of the series that Galadriel leads this anti-Sauron alliance/investigation is true. Unfortunately there are no canonical infos that how Galadriel did it exactly because Tolkien did not explain every single thing what happened at this time and what Galadriel did. So the makers of RoP choosed this warrior Galadriel type, and this is not against the canon because she had such amazon behaviour in the some time period in the past. I dont see problem with it. Not Galadriel is the problem with RoP, but such things like:
    1. adult elves looks same aged
    2. there are no sea monsters
    3. the mithril was not result of elf vs balrog fight
    4. returning back to Valinor is not a "gift" but mandatory thing for every elf
    etc etc

I am very sensitive in the case of woke, but i did not see any woke in the series except this racial diversity "black elf" black dwarf" bullshit, but thats all. The RoP is pretty fair, they dont show any homosexuality, or non canonical race mixing like elf vs dwarf. There is only one race mixing, bettwen a black elf and a mena looking southern woman. The elf & man mixing was ultra rare but sometimes its happened, Elrond is a half-elf, or the House of Dol Amroth also has some distant elvish ancestry. So im okay with this couple.
    It goes against established cultural lore. Gimli was depicted carrying weapons and armour, and we can reasonably expect an aristocratic male dwarf to be trained and practiced in fighting, because it is the cultural standard. If it was not, such as Bilbo's interest in elves, it would have been noted. It's usually the deviations that are mentioned rather than the cases that don't stand out.
    Also, Galadriel never showed any particular interest in pursuing and eradicating evil as her first prerogative; she was more interested in establishing kingdoms than getting directly involved in conflict despite being depicted as strong-willed and athletic, which doesn't seem like the characteristics of someone eager to jump into a fight if we're going into conjecture without direct attestation from the text. Considering that she was in Doriath for most of the first age and left before the first sack and Thingol's death, it's actually unlikely for her to have participated in any battles of the first age except for the one that directly followed the arrival of Fingolfin's host, because Doriath under the Girdle of Melian saw no battle whatsoever except for the hunting of the wolf at the end of Beren and Lúthien's quest. Tolkien's writings later in life even retcon her life story to have left Beleriand early at the start of the First Age. In no version of the Legendarium or Tolkien's drafts does she read exactly like a warrior that participates in direct battle to me, not that it makes her a less interesting character.

I have a major issue with the rest of the casting, especially the race-swapped choices, and the whole casting and styling of elves, which don't look anything like elves, and I have always been very sensitive about the depiction of Tolkien's elves in adaptations. Paradoxically Galadriel is the least offending party here. I don't even see any reason to comment on the rest. The elf-human interracial coupling here doesn't go necessarily against lore (other elf-human couples than Idril-Tuor, Lúthien-Beren and their offspring or the distant ancestors of the line of Dol Amroth are alluded to existing), but in this series it becomes insidious due to the clear leftist message behind which reads very differently to Tolkien's own depiction of elf-man unions. It's both woke and misunderstands the author. The other inconsistencies I'm not even going to comment on, they're plainly stupid and written by amateurs.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Donauschwabe
    Country
    Hungary
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

It goes against established cultural lore. Gimli was depicted carrying weapons and armour, and we can reasonably expect an aristocratic male dwarf to be trained and practiced in fighting, because it is the cultural standard. If it was not, such as Bilbo's interest in elves, it would have been noted. It's usually the deviations that are mentioned rather than the cases that don't stand out.
    Also, Galadriel never showed any particular interest in pursuing and eradicating evil as her first prerogative; she was more interested in establishing kingdoms than getting directly involved in conflict despite being depicted as strong-willed and athletic, which doesn't seem like the characteristics of someone eager to jump into a fight if we're going into conjecture without direct attestation from the text. Considering that she was in Doriath for most of the first age and left before the first sack and Thingol's death, it's actually unlikely for her to have participated in any battles of the first age except for the one that directly followed the arrival of Fingolfin's host, because Doriath under the Girdle of Melian saw no battle whatsoever except for the hunting of the wolf at the end of Beren and Lúthien's quest. Tolkien's writings later in life even retcon her life story to have left Beleriand early at the start of the First Age. In no version of the Legendarium or Tolkien's drafts does she read exactly like a warrior that participates in direct battle to me, not that it makes her a less interesting character.

I have a major issue with the rest of the casting, especially the race-swapped choices, and the whole casting and styling of elves, which don't look anything like elves, and I have always been very sensitive about the depiction of Tolkien's elves in adaptations. Paradoxically Galadriel is the least offending party here. I don't even see any reason to comment on the rest. The elf-human interracial coupling here doesn't go necessarily against lore (other elf-human couples than Idril-Tuor, Lúthien-Beren and their offspring or the distant ancestors of the line of Dol Amroth are alluded to existing), but in this series it becomes insidious due to the clear leftist message behind which reads very differently to Tolkien's own depiction of elf-man unions. It's both woke and misunderstands the author. The other inconsistencies I'm not even going to comment on, they're plainly stupid and written by amateurs.
    Noldors also have military traditions, such characters like Glorfindel was one of the greaterst fighter of all time, he defeated 2 balrog. A noldor army is the strongest military force in Arda, they are better than any dwarfs. Basically elves are better warriors than others, and the main reason is their very long life, they can get more experience during their life. If you have very long life then you can train yourself in every aspect.
    Galadriel had strong body, will, and mind, she participated in athletic feats etc. as Letter 348 says. Although Tolkien did not mention her as warrior in Sencond Age, this rebellious amazon type is not a strange from Galadriel, she also did care about evil at this time, so in RoP her characteristic is not against the canon, rather her actions are against it like her sea adventure.

About elvish looking, elves looked very similar to humans, the only difference is their ears and beauty, this classic fantasy elvish portrayal doesnt exist in Tolkien's world, i mean the different skull type.

Practical considerations, including a number of occasions where Men were mistaken for Elves (most notably Túrin Turambar), suggest that the points of difference between Elves and Men must have been subtle.
    https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Elven_characteristics

"But Túrin was young, and only now reached his full manhood; and he was in truth the son of Morwen Eledhwen to look upon: tall, dark-haired and pale-skinned, with grey eyes, and his face more beautiful than any other among mortal men, in the Elder Days. His speech and bearing were those of the ancient kingdom of Doriath, and even among the Elves he might be taken at first meeting for one from the great houses of the Noldor."
    from The Silmarillion

"In those days Elves and Men were of like stature and strength of body; but Elves were blessed with greater wit, and skill, and beauty; and those who had dwelt in Valinor and looked upon the Gods as much surpassed the Dark-elves in these things as they in turn surpassed the people of mortal race. […] Yet their bodies were of the stuff of earth and could be destroyed, and in those days they were more like to the bodies of Men, and to the earth, since they had not so long been inhabited by the fire of the spirit, which consumeth them from within in the courses of time."
    from The Lost Road and other Writings

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread Information