H1c3*
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,808
    Given: 2,521

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Valenman View Post
    Here they talk about whether you have a recent foreign ancestor, say in 3-4. What do you think? Personally, it doesn't seem Iberian to me.

Me? I don’t know or care if it's the case. In fact, it is equally possible for the other Portuguese stipulating such a thing to have a foreign ancestor themselves. The difference, however, would be that finding so to be true would be mentally debilitating for them, whereas I welcome the possibility fully without prejudice. Not to forget, Portugal was a melting pot, especially during the Age of Exploration, and some Portuguese members get clear extraneous non-euro things at the same rate, or even more than me on commercial dna results. Even if they do not, it appears at some level hidden within the iberian category, and so it is almost inevitable. To cling to such obsession as to dismiss my ethnicity in regards to such tiny percentage differentials is almost entering levels of delusion and here is why:

1.) Putting aside percentages on dna sites, my parents are from Portugal, born and raised there until moving to America, and all their recent ancestors are Portuguese as well. My dad was there until his 20's with a college education in academia, my mom left in her adolescents.

2.) Looking at percentages, I have my genetic results and my parents and siblings results all over this forum; they are very much inside the Iberian cluster - unsurprisingly.

3.) I've had more level-headed, academic, and professional Portuguese members on genetic forums like Ruderico confirm so, as well as others and even without them, it isn't rocket science to figure it out. So there is nothing for me to prove to anyone, I know my ethnicity.

4.) Whether or not a random Portuguese member, here or somewhere else doesn't accept me as one is none of my concern. I think such rhetoric explains enough about their attitudes as human beings. Not only is it gatekeeping of who can be considered ethnically what (ignoring genetic facts and clear lineage indicators), but a clear insecurity in regards to me being in the same ethnic group as them -- all on the basis of some personal ideological mental gymnastics they are fighting in their minds.
    Last edited by vader; 05-16-2024 at 04:59 PM.
    [1] "distance%=1.7256"

West_Iberia_IA,54.4
    Roman_Colonial,17.6
    Berber_EMA,10.8
    Germanic,10.6
    Scotland_EIA,6.6

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information