Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Classify some Hungarians from Ukraine and where would you place them?

monkey
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Islander
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    Region
    Kvarner
    Y-DNA
    I-A5913*
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Taxonomy
    depigmented Somali
    Politics
    radical
    Hero
    my family
    Religion
    RKC
    Relationship Status
    in God's hands
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,124
    Given: 5,731

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    1) He included people who are 1/8, 2/16 and 3/16 non-Hungarian.
    2) A lot of mixed people in countryside don't qualify either. If Transdanubians are more genetically German than Budapesters, that means there was a lot of mixing in Transdanubia too.
    I don't claim Budapest is more German than Transdanubia. I think it would be comparable (maybe)

Finding German and Slavic surnames is not uncommon in any corner of Hungary.
    True.

Last Online
    05-19-2024 @ 08:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Aryan
    Ethnicity
    German & Romanian
    Ancestry
    Germanic, Slavic, Thracian
    Country
    Romania
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    Taxonomy
    European
    Politics
    conservative
    Hero
    Gunnar from Njall's Saga
    Religion
    atheist
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,558
    Given: 9,927

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by andrzej View Post
    No, the historical part of Romania (western Moldavia, vs. Eastern Moldavia/Bessarabia which is now mostly Moldova) around Bacau.
    They look extremely typical Romanians from Moldova. Szekelers, unless they look Old Magyar, are no different...

Hungarians from Pannonian region (former Arad, Bihar, Szilagy, Szatmar counties) are indeed more different: lighter and more Central European than Romanians nearby.

Last Online
    05-19-2024 @ 01:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Politics
    Independent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,178
    Given: 3,227

1 Not allowed!

The problem is "Carpathian Ruthenians" are not homogenous and have different origins depending on group. Lemkos, like I said, definitely do have a heavy overlap with them in groups unlike say Hutsuls who can look even more southern than them but also more "East Slavic" influenced. Also wtf exactly do you mean by "Slavic," its grouping a lot of people that look nothing alike. In the Slovak-Hungarian thread you said those people look quintessentially Hungarian, but they look indistinguishable from their neighbouring Slovaks and Lemkos, so how does that work?
    Aherne contradicts himself a lot in his posts.

Here are some Lemkos by the way, they look more like West Slavs and Hungarians than Hutsuls or Dolynians imo
    I've been to Hungary several times and I haven't noticed a large presence of Dinarids there. From what I've seen from my travels they are mainly Alpinids and Borrebies, along with a lot of looks unique for Hungary only. They have other types present as well, but these were the main ones. Basically they look Central Euro but with their own "twist".

Quote Originally Posted by aherne View Post
    They look extremely typical Romanians from Moldova.
    Csangos don't look extremely typical Romanian, they have their own look.

No offense but you seem clueless about how Romanians look.

What about the Csango, do you think they look Hungarian or more like Romanians?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hungarian_master View Post
    The Csangos obviously look more Eastern than the Hungarians from Hungary. They easly pass as Romanians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarface F View Post
    They have their own look I would say. Different from mainstream Hungarians, even different from Szekelys, but not exactly Romanian either. It fits with genetics as well.
    For example this girl looks very foreign to me, like she doesn't look like any Romanian I've seen.

These also don't look Romanian

A lot of people here seem to think Romanians look super Eastern Euro for some reason lol, when that's not the case. I'll soon post a thread with Romanian crowds from all over Romania to get a better picture of how we actually look.
    Last edited by Tommie; 04-04-2024 at 10:15 PM.

monkey
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Islander
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Country
    Croatia
    Region
    Kvarner
    Y-DNA
    I-A5913*
    mtDNA
    H10e*
    Taxonomy
    depigmented Somali
    Politics
    radical
    Hero
    my family
    Religion
    RKC
    Relationship Status
    in God's hands
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,124
    Given: 5,731

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
    Also I've been to Hungary several times and I haven't noticed a large presence of Dinarids there. From what I've seen from my travels they are mainly Alpinids and Borrebies, along with a lot of looks unique for Hungary only. They have other types present as well, but these were the main ones. Basically they look Central Euro but with their own "twist".
    Agree with all your observations.

Csangos don't look extremely typical Romanian, they have their own look.
    Exactly.

A lot of people here seem to think Romanians look super Eastern Euro for some reason lol, when that's not the case. I'll soon post a thread with Romanian crowds from all over Romania to get a better picture of how we actually look.
    Also agree, and looking forward to your thread.

Last Online
    04-12-2024 @ 02:41 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    3/4 Hungarian, 1/4 Romanian
    Ethnicity
    3/4 Hungarian, 1/4 Romanian
    Country
    Hungary
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 7

0 Not allowed!

They fit fine in Hungary and and people are being autistic about all these differences.

Veteran Member Hungarian_master's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:39 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Ancestry
    57,9% East European; 28,9% North-Western European; 9,9% Balkan; 3,3% Askhenazi Jewish
    Country
    Hungary
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,685
    Given: 5,072

1 Not allowed!

I've been to Hungary several times and I haven't noticed a large presence of Dinarids there. From what I've seen from my travels they are mainly Alpinids and Borrebies, along with a lot of looks unique for Hungary only. They have other types present as well, but these were the main ones. Basically they look Central Euro but with their own "twist".
    But the Dinarid is also common in Hungary, however the pure Dinarid are rare. I think, the Dinarid are maybe the most frequent phenotype among the men.

Also, the Alpinid and the Baltid/Neo-Danubian are also common, but mostly among women.

The Pontid and Norid are also not rare here.

I don't think, that the Borreby is frequent in Hungary, since this is a North Germanic phenotype, but the Balkan Borreby it occurs here.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    ASPD lives matter
    Country
    Antarctica
    Politics
    Ethnonationalism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 569
    Given: 126

0 Not allowed!

Central Europeans

Last Online
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    Donauschwabe
    Country
    Hungary
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,444
    Given: 9,944

0 Not allowed!

Stears lives in Budapest too I would never consider him Budapester.
    Because Stears was born in Tolna (as i know), so he is not a budapester. Native budapesters are these who were born in the city like me.

I would be surprised many pure Germans remained in communist Hungary.
    100% german ancestry is rare indeed, but majority german ancestry is not so rare. Me, Kiel, Sekkmer have mostly german family background, and we are from Hungary.

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    2) A lot of mixed people in countryside don't qualify either. If Ethnic Hungarians from Transdanubia are more genetically German than ethnic Hungarians from Budapest, that means there was a lot of mixing in Transdanubia too. Finding German and Slavic surnames is not uncommon in any corner of Hungary.
    No, transdanubians are not more german than budapesters. You dont understand. Budapest is a big metropolis, a cosmopolitan city with cosmopolitan identity. It was like New York, a melting pot of various ethnicities from all parts of Habsburg Empire. The magyarization affected mostly the urban german population like budapester germans, they mixed with hungarians or others as well, thats why the german ancestry is more common in Budapest. The rural Transdanubia was not like that, but a far more conservative place, germans and hungarians were separated and everyone married with these who lived in their village, mostly with their own ethnicity.
    You should read the "Egy város titkai" book by Szabolcs Kordos, its about the nightlife of Budapest in the dualism. Interesting to see the ethnic background of local prostitutes. Just 50% of them were hungarian, others were slovak, romanian, polish, ukrainian, south slavic etc girls. Its also shows Budapest was a very diverse place.
    Btw finding german or slavic surnames is common everywhere but its most visible in Budapest.

Last Online
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    Donauschwabe
    Country
    Hungary
    Region
    Donau Schwaben
    Taxonomy
    Subnordid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,444
    Given: 9,944

1 Not allowed!

I don't claim Budapest is more German than Transdanubia. I think it would be comparable (maybe)
    There is an anecdote about the ethnic situation of Great Hungary. 1890' years, a hungarian politician from Budapest wanted a political campaign before the election, and he visited every region of Great Hungary, after that whe he moved back to Budapest, he did not understand what king of minority problem does exist in Hungary, because he saw only hungarians everywhere. So how is this possible that he saw only hungarians even in south Transylvania and north Slovakia too? The answer is very simple, because he visited only the bigger cities and he has never been to local rural areas where most romanians, slovaks lived. In the bigger cities everyone used hungarian language including non hungarians too.

Identity is a difficult thing. Fun fact, tons of hungarian ultra nationalist had no hungarian family background: János Damjanich was ethnic serbian, Sándor Petőfi was serb/slovak mix, Lajos Kossuth was german/slovak, Ferenc Szálasi was half armenian, Ármin Vámbéri (Wamberger) was jewish just like Béla Imrédy.

Last Online
    05-19-2024 @ 08:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Aryan
    Ethnicity
    German & Romanian
    Ancestry
    Germanic, Slavic, Thracian
    Country
    Romania
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1a2b3
    Taxonomy
    European
    Politics
    conservative
    Hero
    Gunnar from Njall's Saga
    Religion
    atheist
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,558
    Given: 9,927

0 Not allowed!

These also don't look Romanian

People in Moldova have a lot of individuals that pass as East Slavs. Completely normal situation, given that the area was actually part of Kievan Rus and most likely had a Russian population before Romanians came from Transylvania. In counties such as Bacau, Vaslui, Iasi, let alone Botosani, this is not far from the standard look...

As a group, they do have some Magyar influence (you are right), such as this long faced woman (extremely typical for Old Magyars, not for Hungarians today):

So the truth is in between: they are a mixed population showing both elements, but more often the Romanian one.
    Last edited by aherne; 04-05-2024 at 03:59 AM.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread Information